The best TENT SITES camping near
Charleston Park , FLORIDA

Most Recent Charleston Park Camping Reviews
Nice Site Close to Miami

This is the site that I go to with a couple friends because its close to Miami. Very easy to drive over here for a weekend and camp out with your buddies. However you do need to make sure you make a reservation and you have a ORV license to enter the area. Since I have a Jeep its a fun ride to get to the camp grounds. However a normal SUV can do the trick to get you there.

Camping is no longer allowed there

It is a beautiful park with so much history it now closes at sundown so no camping

Great for RV/ATV/dirtbikes ... not so much if you prefer primitive tent

Ended up here after our first choice was flooded out.

Pros:

Lots of amenities and a camp store. Even if you're 'primitive' camping, there are amenities at the entrance of the property.

Close to Peace River for fossil hunting - we found LOTS and the camp store sells all the gear you need.

Cons:

Loud vehicles at all times goin' real fast with shiny lights and various Toby Keith songs bumpin' (no shade on Toby Keith, but I'd rather not hear Red Solo Cup at 1am when I'm camping)

Lovely Quaint Place

We were running close to the cut off for check in due to traffic. We called and the clerk waited for us to get there. We made it just under the wire. The sites were close together and a bit tight, but they are nice gravel for the rig and a concrete pad for your rug. Each site has a grill and picnic table. Fires are not permitted. The beach is a short bike ride away, but can be walked too. This place only takes cash or check and is kind of old school. But the prices are awesome for staying on Sanibel Island. There is a nice restaurant across the street from the park. There is an aviary in the campground. This place is also a trailer park with mobile homes super close to each other. Not many campsites available, so book early. The bath houses were nicely kept and no issues. The sites are all full hook up. We will be back again.

Totally different

Lovely place with wonderful camp hosts. My only knock is it is all paved and no trees. We fished and it was kinda nice not having dirt in the camp. Whole campground surrounded by water. We enjoyed watching the boats come thru the locks and fishing.

Small but peaceful State Park with Historic attraction

Kind and helpful staff! We got a late check-in and no issues. Spot was clean, quiet, with lush vegetation on all sides! There are Historic buildings with interesting background and guided tours. Nature trails, kayaking, etc. Will be back here.

Nice but crowd!

I think it’s better raise de price and have less RV’s. This is my opinion. But it’s ok for the price. The beach it’s priceless. Nice people! Good service.

First Class Resort

Well maintained RV resort with great amenities, activities and residents. Passing though Fort Myers or buying a perfect home for your RV, this should be the place. Debbie was very hospitable and accommodating as well. Thank you!

Tenters: Stick to spots 1 -16

Arrived here for a three-night tent stay in early December. The staff was very friendly. The comfort rooms spotless and modern. New-looking washer and dryer. The RV spots are very close together. I got spot #79, on the North side, conveniently close to the restroom but also close to San Marco Rd over the fence. Remarkable how, having so much land to build a park, that loop was placed so close to the road and therefore to its noise. On the way out, I drove around the tents' loop (no spots had been available at the time of reservation). May I recommend that tenters strive for spots 1 to 16 which are on the tent loop and far from the outside road. They are private, with vegetation between spots, unlike the RV side, where I set up my tent.  The grounds are kept so well at this park, with open grassy areas trimmed and neat. There are kayak and bicycle rental stations, photos included. The waters of the inlet are tranquil. Truly spectacular and peaceful. There is no camp store, so bring your firewood and supplies. The nearest Publix is about 8 miles away, but there's a gas station just west of the Park's main entrance.  The mosquitos will quickly invade your tent, so shutter it well before sundown. Spot 79 has gravel and grass and is level. So are most spots as far as I could see. The picnic tables are a bit too big for the normal 8ft "mosquito tent." Each spot, RV or tent, has electric, water, and fire pit.

Nice clean park with some history

If you’re on the fence about the visiting this park do it. It has lots of amenities including a small marina for boats, canoes/kayaks and bicycle rentals if you choose. There are a couple trails to venture onto. Also couple of spots on the grounds of historic value that you can easily walk to you as well.

The grounds are well-kept including the bath houses. The grounds are continuously monitored throughout the day. Note: they are sticklers for some of the rules…(no hanging lights from trees, kids must have helmet when on bikes). No biggy to me just something to know. There is one loop that is dedicated to tent campers with bathhouse. The rest of the grounds can be tent campers but mostly RVers ranging sizes with another bathhouse.

The cons...?

Well if you do choose to visit. BRING any and ALL mosquito repellent. I am a Florida native born and raised and I have dealt with my share of mosquitoes. These grounds are now on the top of the list of bad bugs sites. I usually pack heavy on supplies and was OK. But if you don’t bring repellents you will be down a liter or two of blood when you leave.

Second complaint would be….They clean the boathouse from 11am-12noon daily. Now this doesn’t seem like a bad time. But wait till it’s leaving day and check out is 1pm. You got your gear all packed and camper locked up and dumped. Then to do a bathroom run before you hit the road. I think they could choose a different time that would work better..2p-3p maybe?

Something else to note for Big RVers. I didn’t have this problem at my site BUT I did see some coaches have issues with enough space to back in. Some the the sites are tricky to back into (site poles, trees….etc.) weather they were on the site OR a site across from yours. Just something I noticed.

Over all a great place to visit.  I would visit again BUT will be bring even MORE mosquito repellent.