Maybell , COLORADO

Most Recent Maybell Camping Reviews
Secluded campground in the middle of nowhere.

Stayed here only for one night, as a stopover before hitting the Grand Tetons National Park. Small campground with only about 6 primaries sites. All with a tent pad and most with picnic tables and fire rings! We did not use due to the fire ban, unfortunately. No amenities other than a vaulted toilet, which smelled pretty bad, but was extremely clean inside. ATT service was poor to none. The road is oddly traveled heavy through the day and night, even though it is gravel and rarely maintained. So road noise was a little unexpected. Locals CRUISE up and down. Other than that, this was an amazing site. You’re secluded from everything and everyone. Zero light pollution, so grab your chair and look up at the stars.

Beautiful!!!!

A cut above the rest. This campground is off road. Has no bathrooms nor water source. But offers hiking, rockclimbing and just peace and quiet. We stayed here for two days and it was absolutely gorgeous to hike all of the mountain trails. We arrived on Wednesday and found a huge sure and there was nobody around for miles.   We set up our tent and built a fire and are dinner snd watch the sun set it was magnificent.   After dinner We climbed all over the rocks that were around our campsite and hike to the top of the rock Peak. We could see for miles in the landscape is gorgeous. We will definitely go back to this campsite and hopefully take family on our next adventure.

Super cute

It’s beautiful there’s no water type things but down the canyon there’s a fun rock place to climb around. There’s a toilet but it’s was in some bad shape def needed a cleaning cause wow. A lot of blue jays and shade good space fire ring and amazing stars the echo off the unusual mountain side where really cool we also saw a chubby snake making his way around saw some bones too I would come back I liked it besides the toilet not a very crowded camp ground

Hidden Gem

This campground was at the bottom of Sand Canyon…the road was very steep and rugged for the first 1/2 mile, after that it was fairly manageable. 4 stars because the river was so low…other than that a sublime campground. When we arrived, Thursday afternoon, we were the only campers…campground almost filled by the end of the day. There was a river hike, petroglyphs, a life saving cave on a hot day, and a wonderful abandoned ranch to explore. Would love to return someday.

A great off the beaten path free campground

This is a really neat camp for those looking to get away from the normal summer Colorado crowds. It’s in a gorgeous limestone canyon. I think there are 7 sites in juniper trees under hundred foot limestone walls. No cell service for me (ATT) but very quiet and peaceful. Please leave it cleaner than you found it. On this visit it was very clean and this was right after 4th of July weekend. This is a great soot to break up the drive from central Colorado to The Tetons.

Very pretty

Great campground. Very pretty location.

great remote campground

the road in and out is not for the faint of heart but if you get past the fear of falling off a steep cliff, it is actually quite beautiful. the campground was very quiet. only 3 other sites occupied when we visited in late June. beautiful cliffs surround one side and the river with amazing views of steamboat rock are on the other. only downside was that the canyons seemed to form some sort of wind tunnel right thru the campground, at least while we were there, with the wind whipping up to 20 mph gusts.

Awesome... But...

Beautiful remote campground and a ton of fun to drive to. But when we went the mosquitoes were so bad we cooked our food as fast as we could and ate in the car. We left a day early and the following night at our next camp the kids were having nightmares about mosquitoes… Lol. I've been camping most of my life and it's been a long time since I've encountered mosquitoes that bad.

Amazing campground near Steamboat Rock river horseshoe

This site is pretty central in the whole Dinosaur National Park geography about an hour from the main visitor center. We definitely needed a high clearance vehicle for the dirt road to get to it but evidently the road conditions vary a bit season to season and year to year, so call the rangers to check. This is tent-only no reservations and there are water, toilets, and designated camp sites, making it a remote frontcountry style campground. I’m not sure where you could go instead if it fills up since it’s in the middle of the park, but it was only 3/4 or so full in early spring. The absolutely beautiful cliffs and water make this campsite memorable and the other nearby areas in Dinosaur (petroglyphs, cave, fossils) make it exceptional.

Very Nice Spot with Lots of Shade

This was a great weekend trip to Dinosaur. I had reserved a camping spot near the river with plenty of shade. It was an excellent choice (learned my lesson on shade in Sand Dunes). The spot was clean, but a little close to the road. There was not a ton of traffic, but privacy left something to be desired. The shade was a welcome relief from the hot sun in this area of the country. I was less than impressed with the dishwashing facilities (or lack there of). The bathrooms were also less than optimal. They got dirty fast and were filled with flies. Overall it was a nice level site with everything that you needed. The ranger presentation was also very nice.
Sleeping there was great. Perfect temperature with very little humidity. The river brings in cool breezes at night so it was wonderful. The park overall is not my favorite, but it was still a lot of fun. I would recommend it for kids for the Dinosaur angle alone. Also since the day hiking is minimal it gives you plenty of time to just hang around and go for a scavenger hunt or play a game.