About Boyd Lake State Park
Boyd Lake State Park is located in Colorado
13 Reviews of Boyd Lake State Park
Maiden Voyage

We took our maiden voyage here (just in case things went sour) had a great time. Friendly neighborhood of easy to pull through camp sites. Great facilities (including the dump station), close enough to town for a quick adventures and a nice playground for the kids.

Happy to find this spot

Great location, was able to reserve a spot the day we needed it with no issues. The park was nice and clean.

Lovely space to camp with the family

Not all spaces are super tent friendly. It would be nice to have those with flat grassy spots marked on the map when making a reservation. However, nice views, swimming, fishing and lots of friendly folks camping here. Hard to beat.

Great spot for families to camp, swim and fish.

Great spot for families to camp, swim and fish.

Relaxed and friendly

Most of the time I am camping in the mountains, but Boyd lake is one exception. If you’re looking for an easy to get to campground, with fires allowed, this is a great spot! Boyd lake is adjacent to the campground, making it very accessible and beautiful to look at.

Book In Advance Before Camping

Boyd Lake State Park was a very appealing place to visit when in the Loveland area.    I had passed through this area and wanted to check out what all the State Park had to offer after visiting the two local sculpture parks in the area.   I was excited after having seen how close it was to my location and so I took the short drive to the area.

GPS was not friendly when searching for the entrance using AT&T, but after finding the correct road it was relatively easy to find.  I recommend following signs versus GPS.

January of 2019 the park, like many in the state moved to a reservation only system.  I was unaware of this when pulling up to the park, so though they had open sites I could not reserve them without using the booking system, which consequently charges a service charge for booking.     This to me was incredibly silly if I was speaking to an actual park employee and yet could not book a site when they were the ones telling me there was in fact a site.    This kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about the property so I opted to visit it as a day use property first and then if I was excited enough to trek back into town so I could have better signal for booking online I would do so.

When I visited, mid May, the water level was very low.   Though I was informed that they were higher than other lake properties, it seemed very low in comparison to other places I had visited in the region.     Sandy beaches were very telling of the water level with an abnormal amount of shoreline exposed.

Lake activities for me were limited as I didn’t have a fishing license or my own boat.    If you had either of these I could see how the property would be a lot more fun.     I enjoyed exploring the property including the Cottonwood Campground which offered pull through sites which were quite large and nice green spaces right near the water.    There are 6 loops you can camp on with a variety of different services offered and a few overflow parking lots for parties which have additional vehicles.

Sites were $36 which I felt were a bit high, though the camp was nice and well put together.   For the value however and me not wanting to utilize the lake it seemed unreasonable, especially knowing I would have to go back into town and book the site instead of being able to do so in person.   I can see this location being great for a group of friends or a family for a retreat or for those really wanting to capitalize on the lake itself.   However, for myself I found there were other campgrounds in the area which better suited my needs at a much more reasonable rate.

TIPS:

• If you visit this location be sure to check into the visitor center if you need a fishing license or need to register your boat.   They do these type of inspections at the property.
  • Visit the community of Loveland if traveling here and see the two amazing sculpture parks, they are known for their art contributions nationwide.
  • Be sure to pay for day use at the pay station if no one is at the entry station.   You need a window sign to signify you have paid for your entry otherwise you can be fined.
Crowded

Mostly RV sites although tents are allowed. Not my cup of tea.

BEAUTIFUL LAKE AND CAMPGROUND

absolutely gorgeous with every amenity you can imagine (except cabins and yurts). Showers available but cost 75¢ for 3 min and you can add time 25¢ a min (Good for parks to conserve water and creative way to support their facility). Many activities and hiking for miles. Love this park.

Small and Unshaded

I stayed overnight here for 2 nights. I was basically using the campsite to sleep while I explored Estes Park and RMNP.

Site are relatively small and situated right next to each other. Very few trees to provide any shade. Going to the water is a bit of a hike from most sites. Showers will cost you a minimum of 75 cents which gets you about 2 minutes and additional quarters will gain you 1 minute per. I did not see anything in this State Park that would attract me to stay here longer. Seems mostly for people with boats and or fishing on their minds.

Smaller sights, lots of kids

Great family campground near the water and a nice walking/biking path to the beach. Perfect for families.