About San Simeon State Park

Hearst San Simeon State Park is one of the oldest units of the California State Park System. The coastal bluffs and promontories of the scenic park offer unobstructed views of the ocean and rocky shore.

115 campsites for tent camping or recreational vehicles. The maximum length for an RV is 35 feet. Each campsite has a fire ring and picnic table. There are currently flush toilets and shower facilities in place. Chemical toilets are available. A dump station and pay phone are available. Firewood is for sale from the campground host.

Recreational activities include camping, picnicking, hiking, fishing, surfing, beachcombing, bird watching and whale watching. The Junior Ranger Program is a regularly scheduled interpretive program for children. Interpretive walks of the San Simeon Trail may also be available.

Hike In
San Simeon State Park is located in California
29 Reviews of San Simeon State Park
Love!!!

Love this campground! Tons of trees, walking distance to the beach. It’s beautiful!

I love this place!

On the central coast. Lots and lots of marine life. The coast village of Cambria just two miles south on the 1 highway.

Nicer than other area state run campgrounds

Sites are spaced more than at other State Park campgrounds that we’ve been to. Nice hike to a beach with beautiful views, tho it’s rocky and covered with eel weed/kelp. Bathrooms are not cleaned too good, but they do have showers. No electric hookups. Some sites have water, ours did not.

Sunshine, beaches, adventure

This is a very family friendly campground, kids everywhere scooters, bicycles. Friendly staff. Beautiful  estuaries with wildlife. Great place to spend time with family.

Great location

Tucked in among trees and only a 5minute walk to the beach: it’s the best of both worlds. Nice clean bathrooms and showers. Plus a place to wash dishes! We love camping here and will come back every year.

Slamming Doors

Tent site C74 didn’t have much of a level setup site and was right across from the bathroom. We heard slamming doors all night. This particular site was practically on-top of the adjacent site. Good things is the proximity to the bathroom if you don’t mind the slamming doors. It was also close to the trashcans. We came in late and left early so we didn’t experience much of the park but it appeared well maintained and well traveled. Campsite was full so reservations are probably needed.

A bit expensive for the services offered

The sites are tight, it most are in the area to be out exploring all day. Many services, but the showers were down while we were there and no fire due to the area being in a State Park. Ultimately this felt like dispersed camping due to many services being out.

Sweet spot, surprised to find summer availability

Great site! We found availability on the spot in early June Monday-Thursday. Hot showers $.25/min. Nice sites. $35/ night for tent or RV spots with flush toilets and hot showers. $20/night for the rugged area with no showers and outhouses. Both areas have faucets. Each spot has fire pit and picnic table and a nice wide parking spot. Nearby trails lead to beach. Dog friendly campsite, no extra fee. Trails not dog friendly, neither is the closest beach but there’s 5 miles of dog friendly beaches just north.

Primitive Back Loop is Quiet, But Not Much Privacy

When I stayed at San Simeon State Park, the campground loop closer to the road (San Simeon Creek Loop) was full, so I ended up in the more primitive Washburn Loop. I switched spots from my initial camping spot for one along the back. It was by the pit toilets, which actually weren't bad. It had a nice fire pit and my site overlooked the mountains to the east. I could get to hiking trails from my site, which was nice. Campsites are with short grass. No showers. (I believe there are showers in the developed loop closer to the ocean.) Still, this was pretty quiet, despite the lack of privacy.

Nice simple site

Wife, daughter and I stumbled on this site while heading south on 1. They had plenty of open sites and allowed dogs. For $20, can’t beat it.

Open space with few tree. I assume it get hot in summer.

My wife say five stars, but I will rate it a 4 in case someone comes for summer.