The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
South Gate , CALIFORNIA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent South Gate Camping Reviews
Very Private

Perfect get away close to the city clean, hook ups, hiking trails, beautiful views

My home town

This is a small park right in my own home town. Lots of trees, and tucked away in a canyon. There is archery with lessons for kids on the weekends. Very fun! If you are new to RV camping, it’s a good place to practice.

Weekend backpacking

Close by campsite and pitstop on the way to Mt. Wilson. Great overlook of the Los Angeles. Lots of bugs around good thing we had a head net. Not many people around when we were camping so it was pretty quiet.

Clean, spacious and well maintained campsites

Very well maintained campgrounds with quality facilities located throughout. $20 a night, they have water spigots shared between campsites (if you bring a “y” you can stay connected, otherwise fill tanks and disconnect). Self pump out (free) and good rubbish collection points throughout. Campsites are located on a relatively busy road, so you can hear road traffic but nothing that bothered us. Good cell reception, fire pits, charcoal bbqs, nice tree’s etc. I liked it here. Campsites seemed to be largely pull thru’s which is nice too. Neighbour are close but not too close.

Great secluded, hike in trail camp along stream

Great campground with multiple sites. Fire pits & along Bear Creek (seasonal). Can be reached from Tom Sloan Saddle or Switzer Falls Trailhead.

Ortega Flats

Lovely campsite with all sites on 30a + water spigot. Rangers at entrance to check for pets (not allowed) and where you can buy bundles of wood for $5 if you want. Technically not allowed to bring in outside wood. Sites are pretty level, gravel and of a good size. My 24’ + truck can fit lengthwise with room behind and plenty to the side. They have the “site” and then they have like a lounge area beside it where you have your own table, fire pit and charcoal BBQ. Plenty of squirrels, bunnies, the occasional deer and coyotes at night, signs warning you are now in mountain lion territory. Rangers do the rounds to keep an eye on everything. I really liked it here, only downside is that there is a road quite close and you get some road noise which may bother some - we were both fine. Lots of trees to segment the sites, so even though the neighbors are 30’ ish away… you are quite secluded.

Close to town but removed from it all

A fairly large campground tucked into the foothills. The river runs behind the camp which is fun to explore. Facilities were nice, and the spots aren't too close together. It's just a few minutes into town if you forget anything.

Hidden, quiet, little gem!

This campground happens to be very close to home so we went here to try out our brand new pull behind camper trailer for the very first time.
The campground is small, quiet and very well-kept.

In fact, every subsequent campground toilet facility I now compared to this one because it was so clean!!

Only 12 sites - all have full hook ups, picnic table and fire pit.

Make note! There is no Wi-Fi here and as best we could tell , no cellular signal for any provider.

Large grassy area for picnicking etc. Small park area for the children. And a really amazing looking archery zone that the public can use on Saturdays for a mere $5

Go here to relax and disconnect! We loved it.

Home

This place literally feels like our back yard. That probably makes sense since a side entrance is only a mile down the road from us.

We hike this several times a month. Its a great place to go wander and feel lost, yet realize there’s a gas station right down the street (or in our case, home 😁). This park, and the hundreds of smaller parks dotted around the residential neighborhoods is one of hundreds of reasons why we love calling Chino Hills home.

Occasionally I work in Orange County so often I get to ride my motorcycle through Chino Hills State Park on the 142 through Sleepy Hollow on an incredibly regular basis. There is not an aspect to this park we don’t love and the wildlife here along with the seasonal changes make this place a wonderful escape from the daily life that can be Southern California. Great for day trips, picnics, and general fun. But be warned in the summer it can be deceiving, Chino Hills is lovely in the shade, but it gets HOT in direct sunlight, way hotter than most people remember to account for so bring plenty of water, and extra ice. Also realize that while there are main trails many people have a tendency to do their own thing so watch the main trails because off shoots tend to start/stop very abruptly.

Great spot for day-tripping and excercising

So we’ve never camped here mostly because it’s a 15 minute drive from our house and that just feels like cheating lol. But we come here constantly for fishing, bicycling, and kayaking. Biggest frustration? Dogs are not allowed out on the water, even if contained to your boat/kayak/canoe/etc, even if you strap your dog to you (she has a K9 sport sack just for this). Trust me I’ve tried all the logic there is, the sheriffs ain’t budging. I get it, but my dog loves kayaking and is very well trained and it’s frustrating to be so close yet she can’t come with me. And I’m single so it’s not exactly like I can leave her with someone on the beach while I kayak, so unfortunately when I do kayak here the poor pup has to stay home. However, out of the water dogs are allowed and enjoyed everywhere! We have done the cycle loop of the entire park so many times I’ve lost count and everyone seems so impressed a 19 pound senior dog with a heart condition can rack up a 5 mile jog no sweat. Haha this pup is invincible! If you aren’t familiar with the trails they can get a little tricky to follow but easy enough to recorrect. (The first video shows what some of the main trails are like, easy to ride and very well kept!)

Now that a good section of the East side of the park bordering the RV Resort and Airport is privately owned it is a BEAR to circle back to your original point. Honestly we’re talking a 10 minute bike trail of about .4 miles now loops out 5 miles into the neighborhood right next to the freeway off ramp and into normal traffic near the Pomona Fairgrounds. Also no sidewalks so talk about going leisurely on a bike path dumped into 40+ mph with signaled turn lanes on 5 lane wide streets where you need to merge and make left turns. (The second video shows this transition and redirect, please be safe people!) Honestly this new adjustment has caused a lot of cyclists I know and ride with to swear off the park because it’s too much to ask for those of us with pets or small children. I heard there is a petition circling to ask for a safer updated option.

Also realize that this change is not marked anywhere on the trails or maps and there is a huge elevation change from the top parking lots north of the park down to the southeast side. This means unless you know the bike path has changed, your only option to get the last .4 miles back to your car is to jump on to a busy main road, turn around and bike back the 5 miles completely uphill, or call an Uber and have them deliver you back lol. All in all though, great place to relax and have fun.