The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Salton Sea Beach , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Salton Sea Beach Camping Reviews
Great location for a Thousand Trails

This is a great location if you are a Thousand trails member well worth it. If laying nightly defiantly better options for nightly rates. This is a very popular park and they do have stricter rules than other TT parks. The staff have always been friendly and easy going. The area park is next to I10 and does have lots of road noise, also a good amount of riff raff and homeless near by. The park does keep security tight as a precaution. Park is covered with palm trees and a few citrus trees you can pick from. Lots of stuff to do/see in surrounding areas. Would recommend if you are a TT member. Park is seasonal and not open year round.

Great Camping, beautiful scenery, easy to get to.

We spent 5 days here in mid November M-F. We brought our tiny travel trailer (13 ft) and dog. The campground was nice and relatively empty during the week, and started to fill up on the Friday when we left. We were on site 68 which was convenient to the restrooms, trails, and had very pretty views to the rear of the campsite.

The site was relatively easy to back into for a newbie like me, and did need about 4-5 inches of leveling blocks on one side. On the side of the driveway is about 3 ft x 3 ft grating for drainage that dips about 6-8 inches below grade that we dubbed "the tank trap". I was worried about it because of my low clearance on the trailer, but we were able to avoid it on the way in and out.

Because of the way this site is organized, there was not a great deal of room by the trailers front door. I could see that being a bummer for people who would want to use their awning on the right hand side of the trailer. However we use a pop-up shade, so we just set it up to the left side of the trailer.

Julian is about 25 min away and is a fun place to visit and have lunch or dinner, and the Wolf rescue nearby would be a neat place to visit if we were not traveling with a dog. We also drove the nearby Sunrise Highway for a ways for some beautiful views down into Anza-Borrego.

Other sites that looked nice and level for a small trailer, easy to back into,  and had pretty views where sites #52 & #35

It should be noted that there are no water, sewer nor electrical hookups at this campsite (as stated on their website). There is a pumpout station near the entrance that can be used for $10. My freshwater tank is a 7 gallon jug that I filled at the nearby water faucet (water is very sweet here).

Kids had a blast

We took my nephews here and they cried when they had to leave. It was a lot of fun for us. The boys fished alllll day long and actually had a few catches. The people who were camping here were really nice! They seemed to love their campsites and highly recommended it.

Perfect

We didn’t plan on camping here but when everything else was packed, we found this little spot. It’s perfect for overlanders

Gorgeous

Amazing place to come for the day but also perfect spot for camping. It’s breathtakingly beautiful.

Not for me

I stayed at the Pasa Picacho part of the park. It started out great, as 2 deer ran in front of me pulling in. When I first booked it, I planned on having working solar, but I’m still having issues. No hookups at all, and I didn’t want to cancel, but in hind site I should have, since I forgot to fill my fresh water tank. The space they gave me is only a couple feet wider then rig, and it’s on a corner. I tried to park it, and tried again, before I rode around and tried again. This time I got it. Then I take a walk around with my dog and see these huge sites sitting there empty! Plus there was no Ranger when I arrived, and haven’t seen one riding around. My stay is being cut short anyway, because the solar guy gets it this weekend. I’m sure it’s beautiful here, but I didn’t come in the right frame of mind. Would definitely be back at a larger site. They have restroom/showers around, and water on spigots around the campground.

Solid thousand trails

Staff is very friendly and helpful. Nice pool limited to 14 people at a time and you have to book your pool time at the office in the morning between 8-10. Spots on the east side have 50 and 30 amp and most are quite large. Clean laundry area, dog bark and a clubhouse with activities for the kids. Location is close to food and activities. The only downside is the noise from the freeway, train and airport. And the WiFi is an extra charge and doesn’t work well at all.

Close to SD

Stayed here in mid August, and it was warm during the day but surprisingly not too hot. Nights were comfortable. The hosts were great, bathrooms were clean, and the site had a fire pit & picnic table. Lots of hikes nearby too. We did find a scorpion under one tent, so keep an eye out for visitors!

Campsite 14

As a first time camper, this site was very comfortable. A little more sequestered than other spaces. There's a decent rock that offers some relief from the sun, and it's a parallel park spot! Perfect for those with a rooftop tent.

The campground itself is decent. A dirt road leads you through the loop, and there's a trail leading to Ryan Ranch. Central location made it easy to get to all the trails and spots, Cholla is around a 30 minute drive from there.

Spacious RV spots

This is a membership campground part of Colorado River Adventures. We stayed for free as part of their marketing program so they can pitch you the membership. The membership is like a timeshare. Not worth it for us (if it is worth it to you, check out Craigslist for people selling theirs). That being said I would love to come back to this campground. We had spot 192, a beautiful view of Anza Borrego Desert, nice and shady, far from amenities so not a lot of people passing by. We had our bikes so we got the amenities fine. They have mini golf, frisbee golf, and a heated pool which are open in 2020. Most other amenities are not open. Took off a star because the power kept going out, water pressure was minimal and the pool closed randomly.