About Monte Sano State Park
Monte Sano State Park is located in Alabama
32 Reviews of Monte Sano State Park
Gorgeous

fantastic! what a beautiful, large site! full hook ups! simply beautiful! definitely going back!

Great State Campground

Clean restrooms, hot showers.Great hiking and mountain biking. Nice playground for children, much nicer than many private campgrounds.

OOmy aching feet

Ranger Review: OOFOS OOmg Low Shoes at Monte Sano State Park, Huntsville, Al.

Campground Review: Monte Sano State Park is the best of both. While your in the park it feels like your in the deep woods BUT town is about a 10 minute drive away AND there are some super excellent food places to try out when you get tired of the fire roasted hot dogs and s’mores.

We visited for a 4 day, 3 night extended weekend while the Grand Viduta Stage Race was going on. I’ve stayed in the campground before but in the other loop. Our site this time was adjacent to the shower house on the inner circle.

Two cons before I point out all the good stuff, 1. Poison ivy is prevalent between campsites, and 2. The sites are nice size BUT there is a trail that runs down the middle to the shower house which was a problem because our dogs barked constantly at the children running up and down it 3 ft away. I would suggest the outer ring if you are bringing your furry family members.

Now for the pros, no numbers just a narrative. The staff, from front gate, to camp store and camp host were friendly and informative. The campground was well maintained and the shower house was clean with a washer and dryer available in the front area. (con 3. The water was hot but the shower house was not ;)

The trails were AWESOME! From casual stroll to astonishingly difficult with over looks and waterfall views. ( there was a lot of rain prior to our arrival so the waterfalls were streaming and the mud was pooling ) hike, bike, trail run.

There is an observatory on site open Saturdays (con 4. The presentation was more informative then “WOW!”entertaining)

Several interesting eateries, Old Towne Coffee Shop two thumbs up and Boarhogs BBQ two thumbs and four paws up! (Slap your mama good!!)

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I get the opportunity to try out and abuse products from time to time, on this trip it was OOmg Low Shoes from https://www.oofos.com Now I won some OOahh Luxe Slide Sandals last summer and these are my after activity go too footwear sooo getting the chance to try out OOFOS’s newest product was well OOOsome! ( yeah, I went there)

As I mentioned earlier I participated a trail run event. Friday I ran the 13+mile course of rocks , mud and killer ascents and descents. Now I would like to say I won however I am not in it for the competition, basically I’m slow! But after completing day 1 I slipped into my OOmg Low Shoes and gave my feet and legs a much appreciated rest. You feel the difference as soon as you put them on, they are squishy but in an “ahhhh” way for your feet.(something about OOfoam, absorbing shock)

Saturday I volunteered though my feet and legs were feeling good and Sunday I ran the 14+mile race. After some hard miles and harder climbs I was a little beat up and tired. My OOah Luxe Slide Sandals are shower ready which is nice after a trail run(or hike) because the OOfoam is already making your feet feel better.

I packed up the camper and journeyed home in my OOmg Low Shoes . My feet and calves recovered nicely, my back and knees were no worse then usual ;)

The only drawbacks I noticed were fighting to get my damp feet into the OOmg, (they are new and a little snug) but I managed and the outer edges of the OOmg were a little tight on the sides of my feet to start off, after some wear they stretched out to fit better.

I will be packing along my OOfos throughout the year and will review them again after some more wear and tear.

Quiet campground

I stayed at site number 063, which was an RV site with electric and water, and it was adjacent to the primitive sites. This campsite had a gravel pad, and setting a tent up outside of the pad was impossible as all of the surrounding area was a steep slope. The pad was plenty big for my one person tent, but I can't imagine anything bigger than a 4 person tent fitting in the area. I definitely recommend the primitive campsites if you're tent camping. The sites in this part of the camp were pretty far apart, and there was plenty of privacy. The park was riddled with trails (22 miles of them), many of which were also open to bikes. The bathhouse was pretty far from site 063, but they were clean.

Staycation

Great time camping in my neck of the woods.

Fun exploring

This land trust and state park offers a fun little get away in northern Alabama, just outside the city of Huntsville. The campground is well maintained and the sites have tons of shade that make the warm summer days a bit easier to tolerate.

Each site has a large gravel area, picnic table and fire ring. There are 80+ sites but not all of them provide hookups, so be sure to pay close attention when reserving your site. At the western end of the park there is a loop that offers primitive camping that is a bit more secluded and away from the RV hustle and bustle. So if you're more of a tent camper that doesn't enjoy the noise of generators or the sight of large RVs, this may be more up your alley. The showers are located in the two loops of the developed sections of the park.

This park does offer laundry facilities which is nice if you find yourself here for a longer time period or in the midst of a long road trip.

This park also offers nice hiking trails to explore while you're here.

Ranger review: High Hopes Hammock at Monte Sano State Park, AL

Campground review: Monte Sano State Park is conveniently situated right next to Huntsville, Al. So you can feel as if your out in the middle of nowhere and town is 10 minutes down the road. There is a Land Trust adjacent with connecting trails that is pretty awesome too. A bikers, hikers, trailrunners, backpackers delight and don't forget the bug spray and allergy meds! We stayed 4 nights, we were in for the annual Grand Viduta Stage Race, three days of trailrunning glory with some interesting characters to boot;) The campground is well kept, sites spacious and they have trees in between for some privacy. There are several that are double spots if your going w/friends and family. And in the 50 range there are several that have direct access to one of the trails plus excellent overlooks. Bathhouse w/laundry machines is clean and maintained. Friendly informative staff members can be seen frequently. A seperate tenting area is connected to the rear of the campground. And the trails……these are not your easy day hike trails, though it is possible to take it easy. The problem being when you look at the map and read the names you can't help but go check out the trails! Good, technical hiking, bring your sticks and (once again) bug stuff.

Gear review: As a Dyrt Ranger I've had the opportunity to test products while enjoying various parks. Today I tested/tried High Hopes Hammock. When I found out I was receiving a "High Hopes" Hammock I went on their site to read up on the company cause honestly, a hammock is a hammock right?…. However ;) like several other company start ups in recent years there's a little more to them then just making money. For every hammock purchased one is donated to a homeless person, Nice! The hammock was easy even for me to put up, under 5 minutes( probably faster for coordinated hammockers) after I got over my initial fear of falling I sat back and chilled, quite comfortably. As you can see in the pics the hammock is very packable (lite) and could easily take the place of a tent with the addition of a tarp and mosquito net. Right now, no cons for me. (Loved the color choices)

Great campground

Everything is clean. Rangers are nice folks. Minutes from downtown Huntsville, but you feel very far away. I have tent camped and RV'd here. Enjoyed both. Small campstore with necessities. Firewood for sale. Lots of trails, mainly for mountain bikers but lots of hikers as well. Cool overlooks on some of the trails. Recommend.

Monte Sano SP, Alabama

One of our favorite go to campgrounds, always peaceful & great hiking. The park is very well maintained. We always have great experience when camping here.

GREAT STATE PARK

WE LOVE MONTE SANO STATE PARK GREAT TRAILS WELL KEPT CAMPGOUND VERY SCENIC VIEWS EVERYWHERE GREAT STAFF