About Madison Campground
National Park Service
Madison Campground is located in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming
19 Reviews of Madison Campground
Huge, crowded but centrally located

Madison Campground is a huge campground with 278 site, needless to say you will not be camping alone here, or with much privacy. The campground is set amongst lodge pole pines. While this is a large campground the sites are decently sized and not right on top of each other, but close. We had a quiet stay, but with the size of this campground your odds of that one loud group or family being near will be quiet high. Allow yourself plenty of time to check-in, as the process will be quite slow if numerous campers show up at the same time. The campground appears to have two heated restrooms per loop, with a dish washing station at them. You will not have to throw out much trash during your visit, the campground has a large recycling area, including compost. You can recycle type 1& 2 plastic, cardboard, aluminum& steel cans, glass bottles and camp stove fuel bottles. The campground roads are all paved as are the parking pads. Each site has a picnic table and metal fire ring. Bear food lockers are located through out the campground, but you might need to share with fellow campers as each site does not have their own. Of the 278 site, 62 are tent only and there are 3 group sites. Cost to camp is$28 per night. The price is a little steep, but this campground has the advantage of being fairly centrally located to most of the top attractions in the park, plus you are only 15 miles away from West Yellowstone where you can stock up on everything you might need.

Meh

Crowded, run down bathrooms, no showers, shitty air quality, and we were eaten alive by mosquitos in late June. We did enjoy chatting with Oli the park ranger, at check-in and the camp store was good.

Fantastic

What a fantastic campground. The large tent sites are open enough for kids to run around, and doesnt leave you feeing cramped. Wildlife, bears, bison, all nestled along the beautiful banks of the Madison River. Oh, also they have large bear boxes, which make food storage easy. I would live here if they let me!

Pretty and good chance of wildlife!

Camped here for two nights, fishing access a short walk down the bank. Three bison lumbered through our camp shortly after dinner! It hailed on us in late May and rained pretty consistently but the campground was great! Friendly staff upfront.

Nice, Basic Campground in Yellowstone

Yellowstone is always crowded, so we reserved in advance. We enjoyed our stay here – saw lots of elk and bison. Our site was fairly small, but provided what we needed – a place for our car, our tent, and the hammock!

Great site in a great area but no showers

Great site with a great ampitheater and ranger program. Where are the showers? Why cant I pick my own site? Questions I have for Yellowstone

A good start...

This campground is located near the west entrance and is great for just getting into Yellowstone. Its not my favorite but at least you can reserve it and have a place to lay your head. I think because I enjoy the other campgrounds so much I have a hard time giving it a chance.

Decent campground

Madison is a nice campground.  Our tent site was kind of on an incline.  Only downside is its fairly busy, however I don’t think there is really anyway around this in Yellowstone.

Campground by the mountain

The staff at check in were friendly and helpful. The camp sites are pretty close together and can accommodate tents, small and large camper trailers. There are bathrooms, dish washing area, picnic table and shared bear boxes available for food storage. There is an amphitheater a short hike away from the camp site where a commentary is given by park rangers at 9pm every night. A small store is on site stocked with bear spray, blankets, food items and first aid supplies. This is one of the only camp sites in Yellowstone Park that can be reserved in advance.

Clean bathrooms

We camped here the beginning of August. It was crowded but the bathrooms were clean which was great for camping multiple nights.