About Klahowya Campground

Adjacent to the south shore of the Sol Duc River, the rain forest setting hosts an accessible interpretive nature trail, fishing, picnicking, and trails to explore the natural beauty.

During the summer when the river is low water, there is tubing or float run between the 'Day Use' areas next to Sites 9 and 45.

Interpretive programs are presented in the amphitheater during the summer.

Price
$17.00
National Forest
Klahowya Campground is located in Washington
Directions
From Forks, WA travel northeast on US Highway 101 for 20 miles. Klahowya Campground is north of of US Highway 101, near milepost 212.
6 Reviews of Klahowya Campground
Great campground, close to lots of activities in the the park.

My family and I came up to camp at crescent lake.  We got out of town a little late and main campsites at lake were full.  A short 9 mile drive west from the lake we found this little gem.  We got one of the last campsites available for the weekend.  It was a nice campground and very well maintained.  I got a chance to check out most of campsites the next day when most people left and there are some very cool ones, that I will try and score next time.  I do not have anything negative to say about this site.  If you need a backup plan or just looking for something a little quieter away from the lake, then look no further.

Backup Campsite was a Pleasant Surprise

We were aiming to camp at Fairholm Campground on Lake Crescent, but it filled up quick. So we chose Klahowya Campground and we were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of this campground. We were fortunate enough to get a walk-in campsite on the Sol-Duc River. It was spacious and decently private. It was fun to be on the river and there was even a little path you could take to the river.

Overall the campground was clean, but the pit toilet was beyond dirty and the garbage bins were over flowing.

One of my favorites

My family have traveled from Ohio to camp in the Olympic Peninsula several times. We stumbled on the Klahowya Campground many years ago and have returned a couple times. The sites a nicely sized, private, and offer opportunities to wade in the river. Walking trails run through the campground that show you a variety of impressive tree growth. Amenities like toilets and water are well distributed through the grounds.

Our favorite campground

What could be better than spending the entire day on a lazy river with direct access from your camp site? Each site has its own unique perks and even a couple sites have power! First come, first serve. Come early on weekends. Bring tubes during the summer to float! Bring your bikes, Klahowya is right across the highway from an access point on the Olympic Discovery Trail!!! Ride all day long through the ONP and cool off in the river.

Magical experience!

I camped here one night with my dog and it was so peaceful…..granted it was in October. There was only one other camper in the whole park so I felt like I had the park to myself. I bathed in the river that evening and the next day was able to witness a family of otters swimming up the river! The campsites are well spread apart and there are many along the river. It's $17/night for tent spots which seems to be the going rate for campsites around the Olympic Peninsula. The fs.usda.gov site states that this park closes Sept, but I'm pretty sure I stayed there the beginning of Oct 2012 and have pictures to prove it! Personally, I felt that this campsite was much nicer than the Sol Duc campground which was $3 more a night.

Good Stopping Point on Tour of Olympic Peninsula

Our second time touring the peninsula we were lucky to get an early start and get a spot here. Note it can be crowded on the weekends in the summer.

This was a great spot for us right off the highway as we wanted to go to Forks and Neah Bay the next day. Last time we stayed at Shi Shi, which requires a bit of a hike in. So this is great for a traditional campground on the river and is doable from Seattle - although get an early start to get the good spots!

Note - if you are looking to tube on the Sol Duc river, there is an river access point at this campground. We saw lots of people entering the river here.