Standard (Tent/RV)
Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 160 ft.
Poverty Point Reservoir is located in Louisiana
8 Reviews of Poverty Point Reservoir

Pros: Large clean bathhouse, large level campsites, on site laundry facilities, walking trails and a lake. Very cool cabins on the water and visitors center.

Cons:Water playground broken on hot August days. Very little shade in the campground.

Nice place to visit

Campground has large, level sites. Some are pull through and some you back in. Some have just electric and water hookups and some also have sewage. If you select a non sewage system like I did there is a dump station available in the campground. There’s a water playground which would have been amazing since it is so hot but it’s broken. I stayed here in site #49. I would definitely return. Easy walk to the lake especially from this campsite.

Not many trees

Nice state park. Almost all the sites are very level. Water and electric hookups. Nice walking trails. Bathhouse and laundry facilities. Cabins on the water are really cool! They’re on stilts on the lake, not lakeside on the lake itself! Also they have lodged available. I am probably going back to this place soon. You can hear a train in the distance but it’s not super loud. The park beach, picnic area, marina and camp store are not in the campground but about two miles down the highway. Also in the area but not in the campground area itself are a wildlife park and a golf course.

The views are beautiful

The lady at the gate was mildly rude. Or maybe the previous place was just that friendly. She seemed as though I was a bother to her, getting checked in. She may have been tired or had other things on her mind though. At the spot, I understand we are in nature, but I was very shocked at all of the poison oak at the sites. Otherwise, it is very quiet with friendly neighbors. I didn’t use the showers, but the bathhouse was clean and pretty. The spots were easy to back in to. I would return. I’d really like to walk around the town and get pictures of all the beautiful churches!

A lovely spot

Great flat spots with lots of shade and woods feeling. I really like it.

Ideal for a several day getaway-lots to do

Great back in sites, well manicured slots and park. The RV park is spread out so you don’t feel claustrophobic. The lake is beautiful and is known in the community for its fishing. There’s certain seasons that specific types spawn and the park is HOPPING. Hard to get a spot. So much to do in this park, and the World Heritage Site is just a 20 minute drive up the road and a $4 entrance fee for a drive through tour. There are options for slots with or without sewage.

Beautiful Campground

Nice level sites.  Many outside sites are well shaded, clean.

Tents and Thunderstorms

Poverty Point Reservoir State Park, Louisiana Park: There is a lot to do at this park. There is a beach and swimming hole but you have to leave out of the park to access it. It is not far and your fee into the park covers the north marina and swimming area. Bike riding, canoe rental or bring your own, fishing off the bank or bring a boat, hiking trails through the Black Bear Habitat, splash pad. The park is rather small, but packs a lot of activity.

Campground and Site 28: This site has electric, water, sewer (we did not need), fire pit, grill, wifi, picnic table and latern hook. There are 2 nice trees for a hammock. Wonderful campground hosts. Very active and on top of stuff like trash and bathrooms. This campground is designed for RV's but we were welcome with our tents. There were only 4 tents set up in the campground and we had (2) of them. Some spots have tons of shade while other have very little. There is a nice bathhouse. There are only 2 shower stalls, but they are huge and clean. There is a laundry room with a coke machine inside. It stormed the night we arrived so our site was a bit flooded. Saturday dried everything up quickly while we took the boys fishing and swimming.

Toward the north end of the park there are cabins and lodges for rent.

Nearby: Poverty Point World Heritage Area. This historic site has a fee of $4 per person.

We had a great time in spite of the rain and will go back when it is cooler to do more hiking and bear watching.