Standard (Tent/RV)
About Mount Ashland Campground

Mt. Ashland is remote mountain camping with great views and access to the PCT. Located along the Siskiyou Crest, the area is known for wildflowers, butterflies and bird watching.

National Forest
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
Mount Ashland Campground is located in Oregon
Directions
From I-5 west on Forest Road 20 approx. 10.5 miles to the campground on the left. One mile past the Mt Ashland Ski Resort.
6 Reviews of Mount Ashland Campground
Fabulous but small campground

Nice little campground tucked up on the mountain that I stayed at for 3 nights. It has two pit toilets that were still open as of 10/20, little smelly but always stocked. There’s about 3 camp spots you can pull up to with nice fire pits and tables. Then there’s about 6 spots that are meant for tents/hike in spots. The sunsets are GORGEOUS and stargazing is amazing but it is WINDY and I mean, drops 20 degrees windy, rocks the van windy. Had 2-3 bars of LTE for AT&T and met a lot of nice people who stayed. Saturday night was packed full, the rest of the nights it was me and maybe 1 other camper. Overall, definitely would come back. Not meant for big campers or large RV’s. Bumpy 1/4 to the campground and very tight turnaround spots in the pull in areas. Oh, and it’s FREE. You can stay up to 14 nights.

Great campsite with lovely views into California

What a lovely place to post up for a night or two. Pit toilets. No water. Hiking. Mountain biking. Watch out for the chipmunks. Free. We did a little YouTube video on our channel at ArboursAbroad. Check it out!! The video is called Mt Ashland Campground Review!! | https://youtu.be/oN5uPe_fYDQ

Great free campsite

We enjoyed staying at Mt. Ashland. It is a marked campground that is FREE. Simply follow the road past the ski area and you will find it. All of the spots with fire rings were full when we got there, but there was space to park in the turnoffs or off-road past the campground for more private camping spots. It was quiet and peaceful. We stayed one night and we would stay there again! Great view from the mountain.

Beautiful, semi remote camping

Lovely place, lovely drive in. Spots are scattered and hard to find at night. Had dear running around while I was setting up the tent. Pit toilets, hiking close by, accessible in any vehicle.

great visit

clean spots hiking nearby

Mt. Ashland Campground

I stayed at Mt. Ashland Campground on the second night of my month long backpacking adventure along the Oregon section of the PCT. Therefore, I accessed it completely on foot and didn't have lots of amenities with me. That being said, this was a decent Forest Service campground. Let me start off with the the positives. 1) It is free! You can stay in Forest Service run campgrounds for up to 14 days within a 30 day period which is awesome. 2) Easy access via car. You can drive right up to the spots and there is at least one parking spot per site. 3) The views are amazing of Shasta. We had a beautiful sunset and clear skies so Shasta was glorious. 4) It has all your basic amenities for a campground: pit toilets, picnic tables, fire pits (some are normal pits and some are cooking pits). Now the negatives: 1) It is free so you can get an interesting group of people staying there and there is no reservation system. So, if you get there late you could possibly be SOL for a spot. 2) There is no water. Remember to bring your own or you can walk to the bottom of the road and filter in a slow seasonal stream. Related to this, there is no camp host so you need to provide any wood for fires. 3) The pit toilets were not really maintained. They were there which is great but not very clean or supplied.

All that being said, it was a great site that I would visit again if I was car camping. The views were great and the spots were spaced out enough that you didn't feel right on top of your neighbor. The spots were relatively small, however. One perhaps two tents max. It also lends itself to some great sections of the PCT and other hiking trails.