About Lake Norman State Park

Lake Norman State Park, on the largest manmade lake in North Carolina, boasts one of the region’s more popular mountain biking network, offering 30.5 miles of single-track trail. Nearby are a 125-yard-long swim beach and bathhouse complex as well as a boat ramp and opportunities for fishing from spots along park trails. Lake Norman campground with 32-sites and a group campground are available during warm-weather months, and a community building with kitchen facilities, restrooms and fireplace can be rented for family and group events year round. Free interpretive programs are complemented by educational exhibits throughout the visitor center and along the child-friendly Dragonfly Trail.

No Alchohol
No WiFi
Lake Norman State Park is located in North Carolina
19 Reviews of Lake Norman State Park
A great campground

We love this campground! Clean, big sites. Grocery store is close. They are currently adding a new loop and bathhouse.

Great car camping site.

This was a fun trip. Only went for a night to get away for a bit but the sites were large and spread out. Trails all around that were both long and short. Ranger was friendly, helpful and good to talk to. Bathrooms were clean, water spigots to get drinking water from, sink waste water disposal sites too. Access to Lake Norman was pretty easy and maybe a 15 minute walk. Worth going to for sure!

Clean and quite

Very clean and quite and very close to Charlotte. Nice, moderate hiking trails. Swimming and kayaking. You'll probably see deer but have never seen a bear.

Very nice

Friendly host, close to lake and well shaded, clean bathrooms, large enough tent sites, great for families.

Quiet place to Relax

My wife and our four kids have had a great time. Plenty of shade and plenty to do. We fished, rode bikes,hiked and saw plenty of wildlife. Not too close to the neighbors, and the camp host were nice. This is not our fist time here and the shower house used to have lots of insects and spiders, this is not the case anymore. The shower house was very clean. We live fairly close so we will be coming back.

Nice sites! Lots of activities!

We camped here in December and it was just us and the camp hosts in the campgrounds.  It was such a fun experience even if we froze our tushies off at night!

We’ve visited this park before but this was our only time camping there. The facilities were very clean. There are a lot of nice hiking trails as well as biking trails and of course water activities. We will be going back soon!

Escape to nature’s playground

LNSP is just a 45 minute drive from Charlotte and 1.5 hours from Asheville. The campsites are spacious, and surrounded by woods with plenty of shade to keep the summer heat in check. The Lakeshore Trail takes hikers around the lake with opportunities to swim along the way. If mountain biking is your thing, there’s plenty of miles of trails for all skill levels just 2 miles away from you campsite. Lake Norman is huge and has a boat launch for everything from motorboats to paddle boards. You can even rent canoes, kayaks, peddleboats and standup paddle boards for $7 per hour. RVers will have to rough it - there’s no hookups but a dump station is available. Reservations are made through the state park website.

Quiet and water all over

My camp site (#5) was about 50 yard's from the water. I found a place I could sneak right to the water and fish. Really enjoyed the peace and quiet here. Something to note is I did hear a few boats going up and down the river late at night. My only real complaint is I couldn't find a single electric plug anywhere. I tried the picnic area, the bath house, the swimming area.. Nothing. I was trying to top off my phones battery but had no luck.

Decent

This park was nice the night I stayed. Had we utilized to swimming area or spent more time I would know more. The sites were nice and the bathroom was clean.

Almost all good

Great camp site. Great camp host. Hot water at the showers. Trail around the lake was nice but only 5 miles of trails for hikers.