About Edgar Evins State Park

Hike In
Edgar Evins State Park is located in Tennessee
25 Reviews of Edgar Evins State Park
Primitive Tent Camping in woods by lake

We loved this primitive tent camping spot. All sites were nestled in the woods along the edge of the lake. Each site had a fire ring & tent landing. It was near parking, but all gear had to be carried into the woods. These were not pull in campsites. Shower house was a decent walk. Maybe at 1/4 mile? Water spigots were dotted throughout the woods, but not at every site.

Great primitive camping experience

We stayed here in November 2017; we camped in the primitive camping section which has a parking area up top and you hike with your equipment down some stairs into a wooded area with about 7 primitive campsites. We could see and hear the lake from our campsite and though there were a few other folks camping too, it was pretty quiet and very relaxing. We packed up during the day to explore other nearby parks like fall creek falls and Cummins falls but came back at night to camp. Our stuff was safe and there was plenty of room for 2 tents on the camping pad. The site we stayed at was sloped a bit so we ended up sleeping in our hammocks, but that was lovely too. Bathhouse was only a short hike away and there were strategically placed water pumps where we could get water near our campsite. Overall a great experience and cheap too.

B-E-A-Utiful State Park

Came in on a Friday with reservations & prepaid so no hassle getting straight into our campsite. Unique campground with 60 sites, most of which are wooden decks dotted all along the hillside overlooking Center Hill Lake. This time of year there is so much foliage on the trees that you could hardly see your neighbors. The park was really quiet to have been almost full the weekend of our stay. I would rate it 5 stars but there are only 3 bathhouses for the 60 sites and with the boy scout troop staying the same time we were they got REALLY busy in the evening hours. They were extremely clean to be utilized as much as they are. We will make it a regular spot throughout the season.

Special note - most of the sites have electric & water on the LEFT SIDE (looking into the site) so be prepared to either lose a few feet of the site to move your camper closer OR take extra lengths to reach across.

Verizon service 4G LTE in most areas of the park we visited.

Beautifully unique

The campsites are wooden platforms, which is kind of unique. Great if you like camping but aren’t a fan of setting up in dirt/mud with bugs. It’s a pretty steep turn up and into the tent sites, so I wouldn’t advise a lower sitting vehicle. The grill and campfire area was set up kind of awkwardly at our site. It’s sitting far away from everything. That isn’t probably because it’s not a good idea to make a fire on top of a wooden platform, but it still makes things weird if you have a group that wants to sit around the fire together. Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves. It’s an absolutely beautiful park, right on the water. There’s a great restaurant on the marina and and trails for hikers of all levels.

Great Park!

great place to visit,clean and quiet, try and get one of the lake side spots, others aren't far away just not on the shore. Buy firewood at visitors center. bath houses and playground

Kayak Fishing trip

Nice campsite with platforms for campers. Great access to Center Hill Lake and the Caney Fork River.

All the Water Views

Almost all of their sites have a view of the lake. Tent sites give just enough space for seclusion and everyone sites are on elevated platforms. Plenty of bathhouse access and if you like to paddle the candy is close by too.

Camping

Campgrounds were clean and spaced out welll, every camp site has its own square to prevent sleeping on top of one another. Campsites are right near the lake with plenty of hiking trails !

Very interesting park

First time camping in our camper, on platforms. Loved it! Very informative pontoon boat tour with a Park Ranger. Great lunch at the marina too!

Scenic, Peaceful, and a Totally Difference Experience!

I'm from New England and relocated to Tennessee in 2016. The first time I went camping at Edgar Evans, I had no idea what was going on! All I saw was platforms, and what I considered 'normal' camping sites were labeled 'primitive' sites. I was in total awe. I didn't know how it was going to work with a tent, but my boyfriend showed me that all you need to do is bring nails to hammer down and secure your tent to the wooden platform. Where as I was at first turned off by the platform, there are a few pluses:

-It rains A LOT in Tennessee. When I used to camp up north, we got flooded out during heavy rains, as we were camping directly on the ground. The platform keeps you elevated, so digging a trench around your tent is a non-issue.

-If you get a waterfront site (HIGHLY recommended), the views are gorgeous. I'd say go for the sites in the lower 40s - they're super close to a bathhouse and a few paths that will bring you down to the edge of some gorgeous cliffs, giving you the best view in the site. If you go in the other direction, you'll be looking at a community of house boats, which kinda blew my mind, as clusters of houseboats aren't really a thing up north, either.

-You can comfortably fit two tents on a platform; three is pushing it, but we've seen people pack around four in (which I don't think you're actually supposed to do).

-Something else I've noticed in TN - virtually all camping takes place at State Parks, and Edgar Evans is one of the few that actually offers wooden platforms and primitive sites. Most of them offer concrete platforms for RVs and smaller trailers, making it difficult to camp with a tent.

The sites in the lower 40s also offer more level ground for the fire pits. Some sites have a really steep drop off, which make it difficult to place chairs and sit and relax without being a little wobbly.

There's also a pretty big trail system to explore, and it seems like you might need to set aside an entire day to do the loop in its entirety - we're still planning on doing that! I find that I get more immersed in relaxation mode when I'm there instead of active hiking mode - taking a chair down to the cliffs and sitting by the water with a book makes for some beautiful downtime!

All of this being said, this is our favorite spot! We've come here at least twice, if not three times a year since I've moved down here. The staff is friendly and helpful, the campers are friendly, and there's usually lots of adorable dogs around to pet lol! Definitely love this place!