The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Purkey Estates , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Purkey Estates Camping Reviews
Peaceful mountain retreat

Smokemont is a great campground in the North Carolina side of the Smoky Mountains. It is a perfect base camp to enjoy this amazing national park. About 1 hour away from Gatlinburg, but this side is less crowded. The sites are plenty big, a little tight to back into, but not a big deal. There is no cell service but this is also a great opportunity to disconnect. Right next to the campground there are horse stables, really recommend an early morning horseback ride around the trails Mountains of the campground. Definitely looking forward to visiting again!

Clean, bear proof encouraged

Walking distance to light hiking. Very clean campgrounds. They even have a small house with running water to clean your kitchen pots and pans etc. There is a water refill station and plenty of bear approved garbage bins. Fishing is open year-round. Rhododendrum‘s bloom In June. We had a great experience!

Remote Campground for Horseback Riders

One of my best friends invited me to go camping with him here, although I knew it was a horse camp and we didn’t have horses. There are lots of trails for horses, and there are places to tie up the horses. Knowing it was a horse camp, I expected there to be horse manure, but manure was everywhere—even on the tent pads. Other than that, which as I said I expected, it was a good place to camp. The sites are spacious and fairly private with woods between each site. You have to reserve in advance to get a code to get through the gate, so you don’t have curiosity seekers coming in. There was supposed to be access to water, but the only pump in the campground was not working. Fortunately, I brought water with me. There was a pit toilet, but when I first went to it, it smelled terrible and was in need of a big time cleaning. The next morning, when I went, it had been“cleaned”(if you want to call it that). My buddy and I decided to go to Max Patch, a mountain bald, a few miles up the road. Max Patch is a beautiful grassy bald with 360° views, and the Appalachian Trail runs across it. Unfortunately, it is popular. By that I mean TOO POPULAR. When we made it there, the parking lot was full, and there were cars lined up for about a half mile down the road. Having been on Max Patch before, I knew it was not going to be a pleasant experience. Overall, the campground is probably okay for horse campers except that there was no water. The pit toilet needed more attention than it was given, but it was a toilet. There’s a good chance I will not go back to this campground. It’s not that I do not recommend it in general. I just don’t recommend it if you are just camping in a tent without horses. However, I do recommend one of the dispersed camping areas not too far down the road, especially if you want to be close to Max Patch. Just don’t go in the more popular seasons.

My Favorite Smokies Campground !

Best Campground in The Great Smokies National Park! Sites are private, most are very wooded, they have tables, fire rings and usually paved tent pads. The showers are nice and clean and the river runs right through the campground so many sites are next to it and the sound is WONDERFUL!!!!

Our first KOA

As the title describes, this was our first KOA experience. We usually stay at State Parks. Well it had rained the day we arrived and evidently the past few days because the camp was very muddy. The first site they tried to put us at was all grass and mud. No pavement or gravel. We had our 27’ 5th wheel camper. I kindly asked for a better site and they worked with us on a “better site”. 277 was our new site and it was also very muddy BUT did some enough concrete to set up the camper decent enough. The weather finally improved Monday and things started to dry up. The kid activities and the pool were nice and we enjoyed those. The mobile shower trailer was a no go for us because they were very dirty. We probably won’t come back here.

Stunning views

Spent three nights tent camping here and it was absolutely stunning. Most trails in the smokies aren’t dog friendly so we didn’t do any hiking but just driving around there were so many scenic stops! Campsite and rangers were amazing. If I had to complain it’s just that there are no showers.

Has stream running through it and had a nice walking trail. You can go on a horseback ride through the trails here.

Love this smokies campground

Great smokies campground. Nice walking trail and beautiful scenic loop to drive. Along the drive there are historic buildings and cemeteries. Tent sites were too close together. Not enough privacy

Quiet River Side

We enjoyed a River side site during the off season and during the week. Was very quiet and enjoyed the River. Dogs barking across the River, but how can you control that? Would love to see this place in full summertime mode, but it will have to wait!!

Beautiful River Retreat

Riverside spots were a special treat. Great view, friendly neighbors, clean facilities. Pretty quiet in early March. WiFi was not fast enough to work but nearby coffee shop was cute, comfortable and accommodating! Although it’s right off the main drag, felt pretty secluded back by the river. Would’ve stayed longer if we didn’t have to switch sites.