The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Walhalla , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Walhalla Camping Reviews
Beautiful for Fall camping

We did a spontaneous trip to the mountains and we found this nice camp site along the North Fork French Broad River and we camped right along the river. It felt like we were camping deep in the woods and the Fall leaves were still clinging to the trees and made it absolutely beautiful. We fished right next to our camp site and then relaxed with a camp fire listening to the sound of the River.

HWY 215 runs along the camp site but since it was the weekend there was very little traffic. Hosts were very friendly, bath house was clean, and had chickens running around the camp site. Only reason I gave the camp site a four star is because there is clutter around a old cabin and old camper, has a broken down sink and if cleaned up would look much better.

Camp site is close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other areas of interest.

Amazing Time

Beautiful and Fun! Celebrating family in the woods instead of town! Had a wonderful family RV vacation. Our 1st ever, in a 38’ Class A. We were nervous about parking and getting set up- but they helped us get a spot that was easy to pull into. Great site managers and well appointed! Will return

We loved this place

Nice campground, nice facilities, nice trails.

Quiet area, 0 reception

The area very serene, quiet and pretty. Nice hiking area and swimming area. If you need to get ahold of someone though you'll have to drive 10 to 15 minutes into town.

Great Tent Sites!

Only stayed one of our two nights due to rain but we hope to be back! Our site was great size for our two vehicles to back into. Set up our area and hammocks!

Beautiful Campground

I stayed for 3 nights on Loop 5. I would definitely stay again, but only during the week. I like to camp to find a bit of solitude and quiet. The first night I was there, the loop was fairly empty, only a few campers. It was very peaceful and we were able to see a ton of stars. I even heard a pack of coyotes running through the mountains that night.

The next two nights were a Friday and Saturday, and all the site were booked for those nights. You could hear generators running in the distance and lots of dogs barking. The site right next to ours had people up playing music and singing until midnight.

The bathrooms were clean and you had plenty of water pressure. The bathhouse on loop 5 had two stalls, one with a toilet and large shower and the other with just a toilet. Bathrooms in the other loops were all private, (separate area for toilet and your own shower room).

Beautiful campground

We stayed with friends at Kimsey Creek Group campground, part of Standing Indian Campground, Site A. This was a beautiful, secluded spot for a small group with a rushing creek right beside it and its own bathroom(no showers right there but showers weren't far). We were able to pull our travel trailer easily into the parking area, while our friends tent camped. Other sites- Group sites B and C are on the other side of the creek and require a drive over some running water. C was much more isolated(back of the campground area) than B. Those two sites share a bathroom(again, no shower). Driving around, through the other campground part I really liked loop 1 as it seemed to have the most private sites with large trees.

A fun get away in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains

One of the gems of the Palmetto State. Oconee has a variety of hiking trails and private, wooded campsites. The fishing lake has a netted swimming area and the option to rent kayaks and paddle boats. The replica of the historic water wheel is a must see! Be sure to stop at the visitors center for free WiFi because you won't have a cell signal anywhere else :-)

Georgia State Parks Rock!

Having only two nights here left a great impression. One of F D Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps masterworks so important to this parks existence that they have a museum on site describing in great detail the transformation of this particular valley. As with all of the Ga. state parks I’ve had the pleasure to visit the campground is immaculate. Lots for the kiddos here with a man made lake and paddle boats and canoes for rent, a miniature golf course, and a creek that runs through the campground that seemed the biggest attraction for a great many of the kids. Hiking trails are exceptional for the adults. We chose a very strenuous trail that delivered on the promise of a beautiful vista looking down on the park and campground. We were there in the last week of July 2019 before Covid so much I describe might be in shutdown mode right now.

State Park Close to Waterfalls

When I stayed here, there were very few campers. Part of the reason was that school had started, and it was during the middle of the week. That was a good thing since there is limited privacy between the sites. I say limited, but compared to most campgrounds, there is a lot more privacy than some that have very little space between sites. The sites are well shaded, there is electricity and water, there are picnic tables, and lantern poles. The sites are gravel, which is fine for RVs but not necessarily for tent campers. However, there is a separate group tent section. The only other thing I didn’t like about staying here were the mosquitoes, but that’s to be expected in this environment. There are a lot of things to do. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to explore everything, and the beach area was closed. There are two lakes, so I could go fishing and/or kayaking. During the season, peddle boats and canoes are available for rent. There is a really nice playground area for children. When I go back the next time, hopefully with grandchildren, they will take full advantage of that. What really surprised me was the condition of the bath rooms. It was modern and up to date with tiled floors. I felt as if I were in an exclusive resort. There is also a camper recreation building, along with a community building for special events. The trading post is interesting looking with an old ca. 1930s gas pump out front. There is quite a bit of history at this state park. Not only is there a CCC dedication with statue and plaque, but there is also a plaque recognizing the treaty with the Cherokee moving the frontier boundary into what is now Oconee County. The possibilities at this campground seem endless. There is mini-golf, a wildlife habitat, and lots of trails(including the Palmetto Trail), a fishing pier, and one of my favorites—the waterwheel. Overall, I spent too little time here to enjoy it all, but I will definitely want to come back. The only downsides are the gravel for the tents and the minimum two-day reservation system.