the dyrt
Yurts
About Kentuck - Ohiopyle State Park
Kentuck is the best campground for Ohiopyle campers who want to be as close to the excitement in the park as possible. This campground is home to over 200 sites, many of which are made with RVs in mind – though tent campers shouldn’t worry, multiple tent-only areas provide tent campers with more privacy and noise control along the edges of the grounds. Once you have secured your spot at Kentuck, you won’t have to travel far to immerse yourself in the wilderness. Explore the moss covered forests in Ohiopyle on a variety of designated hiking trails. One of the most popular treks is found along the Youghiogheny River, on the Ferncliff Trail. This path connects the town of Ohiopyle to the park’s Ferncliff Peninsula, and allows both locals and visitors to access to the wilderness with ease. For a more intimate look at Pennsylvania’s stunning mountainscapes, take the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail from Ohiopyle State Park to nearby Laurel Ridge for panoramic views containing unbeatable foliage in the fall. No matter what time of year you stay at Kentuck, there is an adventure waiting for you.
Kentuck - Ohiopyle State Park is located in Pennsylvania
13 Reviews of Kentuck - Ohiopyle State Park
Sardines camping

If you like camping right next to another group and being packed in like sardines, this is the place for you! You'll be about 15 feet away from the group next to you. They do have quiet hours though, so if you want super quiet camping…you'll like it here. Because it is also a PA state park….you can't legally drink alcohol here. But if you put it in a different container and don't make a lot of noise….nobody seems to bother you. The bathrooms are clean, but you have to drive to them if you want to use the bathrooms before it starts running down your leg….the walk is far.

Great camping close to hikes, rivers, and waterfalls

I have stayed at Kentuck twice now, once while leading a trip with students where we were in tents, and once on a personal camping trip in a van. Both times I loved how close Kentuck is to Ohiopyle, and the amenities they have there. There is firewood for sale (cheap), bathhouses, water, dumpsters, fire rings at all sites, and the staff was helpful and friendly. I drove there both times, but there are campsites available that are near a trail that runs through the park and the campground I believe. I recommend this place!

Beautiful campground and plenty to do

We just recently visited this campground with our 25 foot trailer and had a wonderful time, in spite of the rain. We spent a week there in site 168, electric site with 50 Amp capable. Pretty much all sites here are in the shade. Big, tall trees. Great to keep your campsite cool, not good if you rely on solar power. The sites are large and separate, not really private but good space between. I have been in this campground in past years with a tent several times and it has been good each time. The site we were on was pretty level, as many trailer sites appear to be but some of the tent sites may be level challenged. The bathrooms and shower houses are pretty nice, clean and the hot water was free and no problem. There is no camp store but there is a firewood and ice concession at the entrance to the campground. The road in is quite hilly but manageable with a 25 foot trailer. We did see some larger rigs so with care you can navigate there.

Activities there range from plenty of hiking, whitewater, and Architecture (Falling Water, Kentuk Knob), The Flight 93 Memorial, Pittsburg. There is no close grocery store, at least none we found. The town of Ohiopyle has restaurants with good food. And there are a number of whitewater outfitters to do the rafting. I highly recommend this campground.

nice secluded walk-in sites.

Really nice campground overall, I have only stayed in the walk-in sites… be aware they range from a slight level walk from the roads edge to a long hike up a steep hill! Be cautious with the farther back from the road sites, if you have a lot of gear or children you may regret it. most sites are secluded enough that you feel like you are alone in the woods… you may or may not even see the light of a neighbors campfire.

Bathrooms are OK. Not super modern or clean. But they suffice.

Lots of hiking, rafting, and biking to be had in the area.

They also have a pretty good beer festival in town around Father's Day each year. (you can actually hike to and from it directly from the campround). Alcohol is NOT permitted in any PA State Parks, but I have never had an issue, maybe bring a solo cup and keep your campsite noise to a low level. I have personally never seen a Park Ranger at any Walk-in site that I have camped in.

Nice Walk in Sites, Nice location

The good

• walk in camp sites are nice
  • Campground is in a good location in relationship to the trails, you can hike to them from the camp ground
  • bathrooms are okay, nothing great but nothing bad

The bad

• extra $5 charge for out of state campers
  • have to reserve the yurts for at least two nights (but they are cheapish)
  • The office was super busy and there was only one person working when we were there

Tips

• visit on a weekday and all the rafting and rentals are cheaper and LESS people
  • check out the laurel highlands trail on your visit
  • definitely visit fern cliff peninsula
Awesome Campground for Dogs!

This campground was really animal friendly. They have certain camping areas for dogs. The showers/bathrooms were only a short walk away. The park and trails were fairly close also. Only reason this does not get a complete 5 Star is because at our campsite (176) you could hear a generator or pump all the time.

Poor communication regarding road closures

We camped at Kentuck Campground (site 192) two weekends before the typical summer camping season (2 weeks before Memorial Day), and I was honestly extremely disappointed in the campground, though part of that frustration is probably more appropriately aimed at the state park system as a whole, and their lack of communication.

Prior to reserving the two campsites (we have a pop-up, and we were camping with my parents, who use a tent), I had called the Kentuck campground park office to ensure the campground was actually open, as the reservation system was very confusing (for this park only - I’ve used the state reservation system more times that I can count). There were special notices at the bottom of the site’s page stating that certain campground facilities were closed, and a conflicting message on the reservation site’s page for the campground - which also mentioned a detour that was necessary for ‘big rig’ campers traveling to the campground. I called the office, spoke with a woman who assured me that the campground was open on the weekends (not during the week), but there was a paving project going on and only the largest bath house near the main entrance was open - cool, no problem, that was the closest one to our camp sites anyway. I booked the sites.

No one - not either website or the woman whom I spoke to - mentioned that the main road to the campground from Ohiopyle was also closed due to a separate paving project. This unanticipated road closure with the typically convoluted PA road system detour - coupled with the fact that everyone in the town of Ohiopyle was telling visitors to the area that the campground was fully closed - infuriated my father and husband so much that we almost turned around and drove back home. After finding a local park ranger and getting detailed directions for how to navigate the 30-minute detour (because… Pennsylvania.), we finally arrived at the campground, along with the other 3 cars that had also frustratingly swarmed around the poor park ranger in town for the same reason.

The campground itself was buggy, not well maintained, and covered in poison ivy. The bathhouses themselves (which were almost all open, unlike what I was told on the phone) were great. The roads were torn up due to the paving project, and the playground area did not look to be maintained. I understand that paving projects need to take place, and that it was the best time of year to do them (several weeks prior to Memorial Day when prime time begins) - I don't fault them for that.

Bottom line is that Ohiopyle is one of the premier outdoor destinations around the Pittsburgh area, and the state park (and additional forests and related state parks nearby) are fantastic in every way - and I expected a state park campground that matched the area. Kentuck is not it!

Kentuck: Where the deer and the antelope play

On a campout with REI, we reserved a group spot which had clean facilities and was super close to some amazing hiking trails! Definitely a great spot for those who want to hike some rugged terrain! Awesome wildlife in the area too!

Great if you want a boring camping trip

If you love seeing forest rangers, no alcoholic beverages, and being in bed by 9pm, then this place is for you! I went here a few months ago, and after seeing other reviews, i had read that this was a quiet relaxing camping site, however once i got there, i realized that the camp ground is so quiet, because you have a few fun sucking park rangers out there telling you to quiet down, and enforcing the quiet time at 9pm (usually most other camp grounds have quiet time at 10) I was also yelled at for having a beer ( note that my group was not even loud, or drunk (all of these rules would have made sense if we were in a loud and drunken state, but we were just relaxing and having a beer with dinner) ) beyond that, the lay out of the camp ground was weird, and finding one of the outhouses was pretty much like playing hide and seek, they were difficult to locate. The water spigots were tricky as well, because it seemed like half of them didn't even work. The Ohiopyle area is so beautiful, I will surely be back for the scenery, however, i will make sure that I am not staying in this camp ground again.

Great Location

First, I must say, we did not anticipate camping, hiking or rafting in Pennsylvania. The plan was to camp and hike throughout West Virginia, but when we visited Pathfinder outdoor retailer in Morgantown, WV the staff encouraged us to check out Ohiopyle, while we were so close.

Traveling to Ohiopyle, PA from Coopers Rock State Forest, WV…the drive was enjoyable and took less than an hour. Our plan was to visit and drive back and resume camping at CRSF. Upon arrival, we were so stunned and enamored by the beauty of the area…we quickly secured a campsite in Kentuck…then drove back to CRSF and tore down camp.

Kentuck Campground is a very nice campground, the sites are plentiful, and though there are many…there is enough foliage that separate campsites that it feels somewhat private. (That is, until discourteous fellow car campers selfishly disregard quiet hours…but hey, that can…and often does…happen anywhere). One gripe at several campgrounds we visited on this monthly foray…it all seemed to be self-governing…no rangers or enforcement…possibly due to limited funding…I found it stressful. That's the only negative…everything else was…in a word a…blast!

Ohiopyle is a trendy, hip little town…like Boulder East. Running smack dab through the center of town is the Youghiogheny River…Yough for short. A picturesque waterfall, numerous outdoor retailers, bicycle & raft rentals, peaceful trails and a sweet, cutting edge visitor/nature center.

You could easily spend a week here and not exhaust all there is to see and do. The town is tiny, so you cannot miss the plethora of outfitters down every street. Of the numerous cool outfitters, we chose Wilderness Voyageurs across the river, over the tracks and to the right. Time and finances limited us to a "family friendly" float self-guided raft down the Middle Yough…laced with minimal Class 1 and 2 rapids, which I would classify as riffles. The float took three hours, was relaxing, serene and full of solitude.

The Ferncliff Trail loops around the inside of the Yough as it does a near 360 in town. Gentle terrain along the falls and then through moss covered forest.

Just outside town as you climb the hill, to the left is Sliding Rock. Get there early to get a parking spot…and then look forward to having some serious liquid fun. A natural water slide extends around 100 feet as it winds through the rock. Wear sturdy shorts and shirt…I'd also recommend solid footwear…its fun but it is still rock.

As you journey further up the mountain toward Kentuck campground, Cucumber Falls is on the right. Again, get there early for one of the few parking spaces to walk down to the falls. In early August, the falls were not flowing heavy so it wasn't as spectacular as it would be after rains or in the spring. If you are looking to take photos, you will contend with people wading under the falls later in the day.

The local outfitters are a wealth of information for places to go.

From the campground trails head mostly straight down the mountain to the river or to the Great Allegheny Passage mult-use trail…that also runs through Ohiopyle. So give yourself time to climb them, as there are many switchbacks…pretty much straight up…but doable.

Bottom line…Pathfinder staff tips were spot on and we had a memorable time. I gave four stars for Kentuck Campground. I give 5 stars plus…for Ohiopyle!