Yurts
About Kentuck - Ohiopyle State Park

Kentuck is the best campground for Ohiopyle campers who want to be as close to the excitement in the park as possible. This campground is home to over 200 sites, many of which are made with RVs in mind – though tent campers shouldn’t worry, multiple tent-only areas provide tent campers with more privacy and noise control along the edges of the grounds.

Once you have secured your spot at Kentuck, you won’t have to travel far to immerse yourself in the wilderness. Explore the moss covered forests in Ohiopyle on a variety of designated hiking trails. One of the most popular treks is found along the Youghiogheny River, on the Ferncliff Trail. This path connects the town of Ohiopyle to the park’s Ferncliff Peninsula, and allows both locals and visitors to access to the wilderness with ease.

For a more intimate look at Pennsylvania’s stunning mountainscapes, take the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail from Ohiopyle State Park to nearby Laurel Ridge for panoramic views containing unbeatable foliage in the fall. No matter what time of year you stay at Kentuck, there is an adventure waiting for you.

Price
$21.00
Hike In
No Alchohol
Kentuck - Ohiopyle State Park is located in Pennsylvania
16 Reviews of Kentuck - Ohiopyle State Park
T’was a good time!

Went to Kentuck Campground with a group of 10 of my closest friends… definitely had an absolute great time. We stayed at sites 6 & 7 which was in a cul de sac and was perfect! However our second night(out of 3) a park ranger walked into our site at about 11:30pm complaining about the noise… however none of us were loud by any means, we were actually very quiet and heard our neighbors a ton within the nights we were there. Definitely do not bring alcohol (not allowed at all), we learned the hard way and got an alcohol citation and were then evicted the next morning at 11am and we ended up going to Green Ridge in Maryland. Absolutely loved the campground though, so beautiful with a ton of shade and space!

Great campground

This was my first time actually “camping” and using a tent in the wilderness. This camp was laid out very well and had plenty of maps and trails, as well as daily activities. They have a small amphitheater with easy access, a dump and recycling area. RVs had access to water and sewage drainage. The main trail we took (was also pet friendly!!) took us down to the main stretch between DC and Pittsburgh. The views are great and there is plenty of things to do within hiking distance. The only thing I would like to see is a picture of each spot. Some spots seem to be laid out better than others or slightly bigger. The spot next to us had room for a second car while ours was rather awkward. We ended up camping in the gravel but made it work. Ops.

Huge Campsite

Make sure you find the actual address of this campsite before driving to it. We used the one that automatically entered in when I booked it and it took us an extra hour to actually find it, with limited cell reception. Campsite was huge! Many bathrooms, dish washing section, very clean. 3 flushing toilets, 2 showers, 2 sinks. Campsite had a large area. Fire ring, picnic table, bench. They had a special event on Friday by the park ranger and we got to go to the helapad and stargaze!! Would highly recommend this campground! Just find the address before driving to it! Oh and at the campsite, there was cell service( verizon). Ice and firewood for sale. Honor system. $2.50 for bags of ice and $6 for firewood. But tons of sticks and fallen logs for firewood so we didnt need any.

Sardines camping

If you like camping right next to another group and being packed in like sardines, this is the place for you! You'll be about 15 feet away from the group next to you. They do have quiet hours though, so if you want super quiet camping…you'll like it here. Because it is also a PA state park….you can't legally drink alcohol here. But if you put it in a different container and don't make a lot of noise….nobody seems to bother you. The bathrooms are clean, but you have to drive to them if you want to use the bathrooms before it starts running down your leg….the walk is far.

Great camping close to hikes, rivers, and waterfalls

I have stayed at Kentuck twice now, once while leading a trip with students where we were in tents, and once on a personal camping trip in a van. Both times I loved how close Kentuck is to Ohiopyle, and the amenities they have there. There is firewood for sale (cheap), bathhouses, water, dumpsters, fire rings at all sites, and the staff was helpful and friendly. I drove there both times, but there are campsites available that are near a trail that runs through the park and the campground I believe. I recommend this place!

Beautiful campground and plenty to do

We just recently visited this campground with our 25 foot trailer and had a wonderful time, in spite of the rain. We spent a week there in site 168, electric site with 50 Amp capable. Pretty much all sites here are in the shade. Big, tall trees. Great to keep your campsite cool, not good if you rely on solar power. The sites are large and separate, not really private but good space between. I have been in this campground in past years with a tent several times and it has been good each time. The site we were on was pretty level, as many trailer sites appear to be but some of the tent sites may be level challenged. The bathrooms and shower houses are pretty nice, clean and the hot water was free and no problem. There is no camp store but there is a firewood and ice concession at the entrance to the campground. The road in is quite hilly but manageable with a 25 foot trailer. We did see some larger rigs so with care you can navigate there.

Activities there range from plenty of hiking, whitewater, and Architecture (Falling Water, Kentuk Knob), The Flight 93 Memorial, Pittsburg. There is no close grocery store, at least none we found. The town of Ohiopyle has restaurants with good food. And there are a number of whitewater outfitters to do the rafting. I highly recommend this campground.

nice secluded walk-in sites.

Really nice campground overall, I have only stayed in the walk-in sites… be aware they range from a slight level walk from the roads edge to a long hike up a steep hill! Be cautious with the farther back from the road sites, if you have a lot of gear or children you may regret it. most sites are secluded enough that you feel like you are alone in the woods… you may or may not even see the light of a neighbors campfire.

Bathrooms are OK. Not super modern or clean. But they suffice.

Lots of hiking, rafting, and biking to be had in the area.

They also have a pretty good beer festival in town around Father's Day each year. (you can actually hike to and from it directly from the campround). Alcohol is NOT permitted in any PA State Parks, but I have never had an issue, maybe bring a solo cup and keep your campsite noise to a low level. I have personally never seen a Park Ranger at any Walk-in site that I have camped in.

Nice Walk in Sites, Nice location

The good

• walk in camp sites are nice
  • Campground is in a good location in relationship to the trails, you can hike to them from the camp ground
  • bathrooms are okay, nothing great but nothing bad

The bad

• extra $5 charge for out of state campers
  • have to reserve the yurts for at least two nights (but they are cheapish)
  • The office was super busy and there was only one person working when we were there

Tips

• visit on a weekday and all the rafting and rentals are cheaper and LESS people
  • check out the laurel highlands trail on your visit
  • definitely visit fern cliff peninsula
Awesome Campground for Dogs!

This campground was really animal friendly. They have certain camping areas for dogs. The showers/bathrooms were only a short walk away. The park and trails were fairly close also. Only reason this does not get a complete 5 Star is because at our campsite (176) you could hear a generator or pump all the time.

Poor communication regarding road closures

We camped at Kentuck Campground (site 192) two weekends before the typical summer camping season (2 weeks before Memorial Day), and I was honestly extremely disappointed in the campground, though part of that frustration is probably more appropriately aimed at the state park system as a whole, and their lack of communication.

Prior to reserving the two campsites (we have a pop-up, and we were camping with my parents, who use a tent), I had called the Kentuck campground park office to ensure the campground was actually open, as the reservation system was very confusing (for this park only - I’ve used the state reservation system more times that I can count). There were special notices at the bottom of the site’s page stating that certain campground facilities were closed, and a conflicting message on the reservation site’s page for the campground - which also mentioned a detour that was necessary for ‘big rig’ campers traveling to the campground. I called the office, spoke with a woman who assured me that the campground was open on the weekends (not during the week), but there was a paving project going on and only the largest bath house near the main entrance was open - cool, no problem, that was the closest one to our camp sites anyway. I booked the sites.

No one - not either website or the woman whom I spoke to - mentioned that the main road to the campground from Ohiopyle was also closed due to a separate paving project. This unanticipated road closure with the typically convoluted PA road system detour - coupled with the fact that everyone in the town of Ohiopyle was telling visitors to the area that the campground was fully closed - infuriated my father and husband so much that we almost turned around and drove back home. After finding a local park ranger and getting detailed directions for how to navigate the 30-minute detour (because… Pennsylvania.), we finally arrived at the campground, along with the other 3 cars that had also frustratingly swarmed around the poor park ranger in town for the same reason.

The campground itself was buggy, not well maintained, and covered in poison ivy. The bathhouses themselves (which were almost all open, unlike what I was told on the phone) were great. The roads were torn up due to the paving project, and the playground area did not look to be maintained. I understand that paving projects need to take place, and that it was the best time of year to do them (several weeks prior to Memorial Day when prime time begins) - I don't fault them for that.

Bottom line is that Ohiopyle is one of the premier outdoor destinations around the Pittsburgh area, and the state park (and additional forests and related state parks nearby) are fantastic in every way - and I expected a state park campground that matched the area. Kentuck is not it!