The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
McSherrystown , PENNSYLVANIA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent McSherrystown Camping Reviews
Very close to Gettysburg

If you’re looking for a backwoods, off-the-beaten-path type of campground, this isn’t it. If you are looking for a campground that is very close to an historical National Park not to mention shopping and restaurants, this is for you.

The amenities of Gettysburg Campground are quite good: full hookups with cable, all working as expected. Level sites, friendly and efficient staff, decently sized sites long enough for my 32’ coach and a toad. The two drawbacks are that the sites are quite packed together and the noise of traffic– at least in the frontmost sites– can get rather loud at night. However, the proximity to Gettysburg National Park can’t be beat.

Pretty much on the battlefield

We stayed at this campground during the COVID pandemic so not much was open at the campground. But from the looks of it they have a small mini golf area, nice size basketball court and a good size building for activities. This campground has horse stalls and rings if you would like to bring your own horses. There were a few families that brought their horses and they were right across from our site. Kids loved being able to see them and get close and even pet them!

This campground is minutes from town and is practically on the battlefield.

More of an RV camping spot

My friends and I booked a spot at this campground after visiting Harrisburg, PA. When we arrived, our expectations were let down by the quality of the campsite simply because of its proximity to its neighbors, the site setup and the limited space for our tents. I give it 4 stars because I am sure all of the problems we experienced would not been a huge deal if we were in an RV. Seemed like a great spot for kids/families especially because it had access to a swimming spot.

Really great pool

The pool here is top notch and it's good for fishing but the hiking isn't super great. We did have a nice bat spotting walk with a Ranger when we were there and there's an interesting historic mill you can tour. The camping area was pretty hilly and not super large but it gets the job done. I'd recommend visiting the nearby huckleberry natural area to see one of the oldest living plants in the world and Hall's Dairy for excellent ice cream.

Solid State Park Campground

This place is best if you're into fishing but it has the basics covered. Good bathrooms, a beach, and some hiking around the lake. It's also pretty convenient to Harrisburg, Gettysburg, and Hershey if you want things to do. It also has some nice birding.

A nice family site

Definitely not as spread out as we had originally thought BUT it’s a really nice site if you’re looking to get your kids into camping there’s plenty for them to do and see. Now if you’re looking for more of a private place to camp this probably isn’t the place for you as the sites are pretty much on top of each other! That being said definitely worth the money especially if you’re really only there for a night

One of my favorites

We spend a few weekends a year here. Nice campground, great Halloween weekend. We stay in A loop

We travel here from PA every year for their Halloween weekend and returned one summer to enjoy the other options for activities. They have tons of things for Children including a waterpark, a jumping pillow, ziplining, trick or treating, haunted trails, etc. The options are endless.

After you get here, theres no reason to leave because they have a store on site as well as an icecream shop!

Crowded Tent area and chiggers

I came for a hike and quick one night tent escape. I had never been and reserved a tent site online. When I arrived, someone was in my spot. After working it out and came back I noticed just how crowded it was. Lots literally right on top of each other. Felt like everyone there was in the same group but we obviously weren’t. Went to front gate and got a much more isolated tent spot (front gate said they were ALL the same size and privacy and I can tell you he was very wrong). After we pitched in the new spot, all was good. Then I left and woke up with a serious case of chigger bites. Not the best experience to say the least

Great smaller campground

Nice for a smaller campground. Only downfall is we have smaller children and we could not bike from the campground to the pool, it was too far and the hill to get back was too big for them to ride up. Pool was great once you got there. Bathrooms are clean