About Mazama Village Campground at Crater Lake National Park

Mazama Village Campground is located seven miles from the rim of Crater Lake. The campground is mostly forested and each site has a picnic table, fire ring, and bear locker. 75% of the sites are are reservable in advance and the rest are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

National Park Service
Mazama Village Campground at Crater Lake National Park is located in Oregon
Directions
Mazama Village Campground is located 7 miles south of Rim Village and just inside the south entrance of Crater Lake National Park.
41 Reviews of Mazama Village Campground at Crater Lake National Park
Bike Touring to Crater Lake

Cycling into the park from the north entrance was killer and I was excited to rest. I was glad to find that the Mazama village was well stocked with beer and food. The campsite itself offers $5 hiker/biker sites (for people traveling without a motorized vehicle) that do not require a reservation…you just walk around in a wooded area and find a place to camp. This area had two shared fire rings which ended up being great as I got to meet a dozen or more PCT hikers (which I found educational and pleasant). Recognizing that this experience may not be for everyone, you can also camp back in the woods a ways for privacy and forego the fire. However, I found the experience very enjoyable and stayed an extra night.

When staying at this site, you do have to walk/ride a little ways to a toilet/shower/water as there is none in the hiker/biker area.
So basically, if you don't mind roughing it and like adventure, this was very enjoyable!

Packed in like sardines at a National Park

Friday night before one of the Ride-the-Rim events. Too many people, and I was bummed I wasn't able to extend my reservation for the following night.

My site was actually large enough to host another bike tourer who hadn't realized he needed a reservation. There probaby was enough room for even one more tent. The real problem was that we were located next to the party site who kept going as a large group until I told them sometime after midnight that they were too loud. Their yammering had been keeping up a screaming baby a couple sites down, and it was amazing how totally unconscious they were of how much louder they were than the rest of the camp. But hey, that's what it's like when you're at a good party, right? They were apologetic when I told them they were way too loud. My bike tourer got up around 10, maybe and joined them, since he couldn't sleep either.

The toilets were right next to my site. They ran out of paper towels sometime that night, and one of the toilets overflowed, I think.

The showers were far away at the main store/cafe. 75 cents for 4 minutes. I splurged and spent a $1.50. The camp store looked reasonably well stocked, but I got invited up to the Rim to dine at the fancy restaurant by another set of bikers. It was expensive, but the food was good enough to make it reasonable. Normal expensive steakhouse quality. I have been to other expensive National Park restaurants at the same price level with terrible quality.

We breakfasted at the restaurant next to the camp store, and it was reasonably good, but it was ridiculously slow. I think they were short staffed because it was after Labor Day, and they couldn't handle the Ride the Rim crowds. Not sure.

Ranger Review: Rumpl Iron Puffy at Mazama Campground

Saturday night I pulled up to Crater Lake… It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and even looking at the pictures I took during my time there I can’t believe it was real! The amazing thing about Crater Lake is that if you sit in front of it for any amount of time the entire thing changes. The colors, the way the clouds reflect on the lake, parts start to look like glass while other parts look frozen. It was unlike anything I have ever seen. The first night we pulled up the water was a deep navy with areas of purple and even darker blue. The next morning we pulled up and the blue was so bright and intense I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. When visiting Crater Lake you have to take the drive around the Rim and see the lake from every angle, it is so worth it, and you have to take the hike down to the lake. Remember that you are at a much higher altitude than you are probably used to, so bring water, and pace yourself if you don’t hike much (especially on the way back up!) Make sure you at least touch the water, put your feet in it, your hands, your face! The water is so clear, so refreshing, and everyone wants to say that they put their hands in a body of water so majestic.

The campsite is about 7 miles from Crater Lake, a short drive, and honestly a great campsite! People complain about the dust, but I got much dustier on my hike down to Crater Lake than I did at the campsite. We paid for one of the small sites and had two 3 man tents and a hammock set up in it. We also had room for our jeep, had a picnic table, and a great little fire pit that even had a rack that we used to make popcorn and and corn on the cob. Once we set up camp we spent the evening eating and drinking warm drinks around the campfire (firewood can be purchased from the same area where you check in, and you must get firewood on site and not bring your own) , gazing at the amazing sky full of stars and the Milky Way, and as bundled up as possible! It was about 32 degrees by midnight and extra layers of down were much appreciated.

The freezing cold weather is where my Rumpl Iron Puffy became much appreciated! (http://www.gorumpl.com/collections/puffy-rumpls/products/iron-puffy) I was able to cuddle up in this blanket by the campfire and all of my friends were jealous! I got this blanket from my Cairn Obsidian box, which I got with my giftcard from the July Dyrt contest! I’ve cuddled in this blanket on every camping trip I’ve taken since, but especially appreciated it in the very cold Crater Lake National Park.

All in all I would highly recommend Crater Lake, and the Mazama Village Campground. Its pretty quiet, has bathrooms on site, and everyone is so in awe from Crater Lake that they can’t possibly be in a bad mood!

Dust Bowl Dance

This is one of the dustiest campgrounds I've ever stayed in - I blame the volcano. How dare it! (Haha.) Other than the dust (which was primarily on the roads, more than the sites), this place was great. The sites are huge, at least the two that we got. I wish I could've chosen our sites, but you don't usually get to with concessionaire campgrounds - which bothers me, but what can you do? Our sites (I believe E1 and E2) were right by the road (you can see it in the background of a few of our photos) but the campground was generally quiet enough that we weren't bothered by it. There is a decent number of trees between the sites and the roads to provide a good sound barrier.

Crater Lake

Really cool camp site!! Made from an old dead volcano long time ago filled with water. The Camp is beautiful and easy to get to with different sites set up easy trails to the lake and hiking to the top view above the crater.

Late June Camping Crater Lake camping in Loop E

Nice large campsite with bear cabinet, fire grill, fire pit and 10 foot picnic table. The ground was dirt and easy to put stakes in for the Tent. It was only about 6 miles from Rim Village where. The Mazama village had a restaurant, cafe camp store, motor lodge, gas station and shower facilities. Registration for a site was easy, you paid with a credit card or cash at the kiosk and then went a picked out a vacant site. You did not have to go back and tell them the site. You did not even have to provide your car tag numbers. They directed you to the loop that had vacant campgrounds. We hiked the Annie Spring trail that was near the amphitheater in the campground. The bathrooms in the campground were flush toilets. At night the temp dipped to the 30's. Your at 6000 feet elevation and there is snow all year round on the rim of Crater Lake.

Camp near the rim of Crater Lake with all the amenities!

Crater Lake is Breathtaking!

It's a trek to get to Crater Lake no matter where you are coming from but it's worth the drive! These photos can't describe the feeling when looking at that blue water.

This is a BIG campground! I'm used to 10 site primitive campgrounds and this was actually a treat. It wasn't over run and crowded like a KOA but had all of the amenities. Nice space in between sites. There are 7 loops and over 200 sites. They have a camp store, laundry room, showers, flush toilets. Note: the showers take quarters so have some ready or pop into the camp store.

Camping in the snow

There was a random summer snow storm that came through and we thought our camping trip may be ruined, but they plowed all the roads, gave us more wood for our fire, and served Jamison hot chocolates at the lodge. It felt like the perfect white Christmas but during the summer.

Mazama Campground - Crater Lake

This is a great campsite. They do pack you in tightly but it's right near Crater Lake, which is why everyone goes. The spots are great, there are bathrooms nearby. It's rustic, wooded, and I would recommend it.

closest campground to Crater Lake

The Mazama Village campground at Crater Lake National Park is located 7 miles south of Crater Lake's rim. A small grocery store, restaurant and gift shop are all within walking distance of the campsites, making for a well-sourced camp stay. Campfire wood is available at the office, as well as hot showers (bring quarters). The campsites are spaced throughout a wooded area, and some sites have more privacy than others. Bear boxes are located in every campsite for storing food. While you probably won't see a bear, you will see plenty of chipmunks and ground squirrels scouring the campsites for food, so keep it locked up at all times. Each time I've stayed here, Pacific Crest Trail thru-hikers were coming through on their trek from Mexico to Canada (or vice versa).