Standard (Tent/RV)
About Black Canyon Campground

Black Canyon Campground in Oregon rests next to the Middle Fork of the Willamette River. This scenic campground is heavily shaded by towering hemlock, cedar and Douglas fir. Fishing and kayaking are a popular pastimes.

Recreation

A 1-mile interpretive nature trail winds through the campground, and Lookout Point Lake is less than a mile away, with opportunities for boating and fishing. A boat ramp is located on the lake.

The Willamette National Forest has about 1,700 miles of trails. While many are located in wilderness areas, a number of trails are situated at lower elevations and provide easy, year-round hiking.

Black Canyon is within the Winberry Trail Area, with excellent terrain like the Tire Mountain Trail for mountain biking and horseback riding, and the Clover Patch Trail for hiking.

Facilities

The campground offers some riverside sites with pleasant shade, fresh air with cool breezes. There are 75 sites, 19 are reservable. Each site contains a picnic table and campfire ring with grill. Accessible vault toilets and drinking water are provided.

Natural Features

The Willamette National Forest stretches 110 miles along the western slope of the Cascade Range in western Oregon. Elevations on the forest range from about 1,500 feet above sea level to 10,495 feet at the snowcapped summit of Mt. Jefferson, Oregon's second highest peak. Wildlife in the region includes black tail deer, Roosevelt elk, bobcats and bald eagles.

Nearby Attractions

Visitors enjoy sightseeing along the West Cascades Scenic Byway. The drive begins at Westfir and stretches 220 miles past waterfalls, ancient forests and numerous rivers, creeks and lakes.

ADA Access: N

Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 44 ft.
Black Canyon Campground is located in Oregon
Directions
From Oakridge, Oregon, follow Highway 58 west about 8 miles to Black Canyon Campground, located 1 mile east of Lookout Point Reservoir.
6 Reviews of Black Canyon Campground
A Nice Surprise

We just happened to stop at this campground and I'm so glad we discovered it! Because we arrived on a Sunday we had almost the entire campground to choose from. I believe sites 24-30, 33, 35-39 are all on the river side which are great.

We ended up at site 26 which I think may have technically been a walk in site. We were able to get the Cricket parked at a good angle and then could just walk the 10 feet into the site which was totally private. Lots of space, with bushes all around and an area that is clearly made for a tent. The best part is that beyond the fence is a short private walk from the site down to the river. Absolutely beautiful spot to park our chairs and drink some wine.

The campground seemed pretty big but I think the sites near the river are the best, not only because of the river views but because you can't hear the road noise, which you can hear from other parts of the campground.

Another thing about the campground…there is a train track directly across from the river. The train went by around 4 or 5 times in the 24 hours that we were there, at least once in the middle of the night. I personally LOVED that. I love the sound of trains and I loved sitting at the river watching them go by.

Pros and Cons

We originally booked a reserved site at the campground. These slots are all in the center of the campground. The spot was nice but located about 200 ft from riverfront first come first serve sites so we packed up and moved there. Site manager said paying for these was different and we had to pay again. That sucks. Don’t reserve a site here. Pros: Our site was great with a trail down to the river and a rocky beach. Fire pit, table, tent site. It had all the standards. We were lucky to have a fresh water station across the road from us. Bathrooms were adequate. Cons: The train tracks are literally across the river. Maybe 200 ft away. The train runs all day and sadly all night. If you fall asleep easily to the sound of a train horn and train cars along a track then you’ll love it here. If you sleep lightly or generally dislike train sounds, good luck sleeping. Our “neighbors” told us they had moved to the river site because at the other end of the campground road noise was louder than the all night train noise. Summary:

If you stay here it will be beautiful and the river is great but might want to bring earplugs. Fortunately you won’t need to bring your sounds of the train yard sleeping CD with you to lull you asleep at night.

Good spot halfway from Portland to Crater Lake

This is a good campground if you are traveling between the Portland area and Crater Lake and want to stop half way. It is a very large campground located between the Highway and the River. There is road noise as well as train noise that is across the river, but didn't notice either in the early hours of the morning. The spot I was in was good size, had very little shade, and was a distance from the toilets and water. There was a nice access ramp to the river, as well as additional parking near the ramp. Not a campground I would travel to stay in from the Portland area but would stay again if I was headed to Southern Oregon and needed to stop.

Good Campground

Overall a good campground. Sites on the river are spectacular. Other sites are mostly small or have issues with road noise. Plan on reserving a site on the river if possible. They do not disappoint!

Peaceful & Quiet

I really liked this campground. I really enjoyed our 3 days here and the dogs loved swimming in the river. There are nice trails running through this campground. It was nice and quiet and plenty of space and privacy from your neighbors. Next time I stay here I would pick a different site since the one we were in wasn't good for hammock camping and we had to set up two tents instead of one. The site was small and parking was tight for two vehicle.

Black Canyon Campground

The access to the water was nice and so were the park hosts. They gave us free passes to see the beach up the road - but it was dried up and probably was for years. Strange they gave us the passes. There are some hikes around but you have to drive to them. The toilets are the vault toilets and there are no sinks/showers. Not a bad experience but if I'm already car camping I like nicer amenities. We stayed in the group camping area and it wasn't bad. More privacy than normal group sites since everyone had their own site on the loop. Some road noise. It wasn't a bad place, just not somewhere I would make a special trip to camp at.