Byesville , OHIO

Most Recent Byesville Camping Reviews
Awesome packbacking spot

Great spot for walk in or hike in camping! There are a couple of campsites at the trailhead and quite a few all along the trail. There is a 5 mile loop or a longer ~15 mile loop that you can hike and there are campsites every couple of miles. The sites themselves are just semi-cleared areas with stone fire rings so it is totally primitive camping. The trails can be a bit muddy after it rains and probably take a long time to dry out down in the valleys. While there is water in the valleys I wouldn’t use it even with a filter. There are signs posted at the trailhead that advise against it plus there is still active oil drilling in one of the hollows (the only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars) There is cell service when you’re up in the ridges but there are a lot of dead zones in the valleys and even at the trailhead. Overall, it was a beautiful, quiet place and I only saw 2 other people in the trail while I was hiking out the second day.

Nice little campsite

Cool little campground. First come first served with no reservations accepted. The sites are clean with picnic tables and fire rings and can accommodate small RVs. There are a couple of vault style outhouses, dump stations and a couple of water stations as well. No electric or water hookups, though. Came on a Thursday and there were only two sites occupied so it was nice and quiet even though there is a bit of road noise from the nearby roads. There’s also an easy 1 mile trail down to Burr Cove proper. The sites are $15 ($10 in the off season when the water is turned off) and you pay at an honor box at the entrance once you pick your spot.

Nice trails, not so nice campsites

Most of the sites at this state park campground are very small and don’t have much level ground. Even the sites meant for RVs and trailers are right on top of each other. It’s almost like they took what should have been one site and made it two. There’s a handful of sites that offer a little space and level ground for tent campers. You may or may not have a picnic table and fire ring with a grill at your campsite when you arrive. According to staff, people take the fire rings and I guess there’s nothing they can do. Bathrooms were clean. The lake view trail was nice and accessible from the campground.

Great site!

Site 41 with a paved pad and electric. We were across from the shower house and bathrooms. The office is closed but a staff person was on site. Our site was perfect for us with trees on either side to help with shade. Across our site was also a big green space to walk our dogs. Not all the electric sites have shade especially if you are up top. The lower electric is much better however some of the sites hardly have a space for tents and would be better for a camper. Lots of places to hike and a lake to kayak or canoe. There’s a big playground for the kids as well. The tent only sites are a little less desirable as they are all downhill and mostly uneven. They have flush toilets and sinks but you’d have to come up to the main campground to shower. Pick your site wisely!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Salt Fork State Park is Amazing!! There is 'something for Everyone' here; from the lodge, golfing, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, trail rides, hunting, pontoon boat rides, boat and kayak rentals, primitive camping, camping with your horses, a beach, and numerous other options!! If your BRAVE enough, You can explore 3 different known areas where Bigfoot has been sighted, on numerous occasions, thru the years!!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Park is Great, Campsites Suck!

Stayed here in the “primitive” camp. You are basically staying with your neighbors in small cleared areas where you can see everything everyone else is doing and if you have one of the sites nearer to the parking areas, you will have people walking through your campsite all day and night from the ones in the rear. From what I saw, the electric sites in the main campground aren’t much better. I mean this is a midwestern state park camping experience for sure. If you’re expecting any amount of privacy, think again.

The lake is pretty beautiful. The trails are well marked and the horse trails go on for miles and miles so if you have horses this is a great place to trail ride and if you’re a hiker who is not afraid of horses, you can always enjoy the equestrian trails for some serious mileage!

Pretty, Free, but a dirty lake

I went for an overnight camping getaway. The campsite was fairly clean, had to pickup a few wrappers. I was excited to get a spot overlooking the water, with a table and fire pit. Not a really good spot for a tent, but I was able to find a soft spot off to the side. From up on the hill looking down on the lake, it looked quite clear. I was excited to grab my canoe and jump in.

I carried my boat to the waters edge. As I was going to put my canoe into the water, I noticed some really nasty stuff in the water. It looked like human poop. I was kinda stunned, and then I noticed a lot of flies all around that particular area. So given that I decided I was not going to be canoeing or fishing.

I get it, it’s free. But I just wish people would NOT empty their RVs into the lake. Kinda ruined a good thing. Aside from that, the area was very pretty.

Very Secluded beautiful lake.

You will have everything you need for rv. Water, (fill your rig) Sewer Dump and electricity. Cell service is good. No 4g on Verizon I’m unsure if they offer extended WiFi.

Overrated!

Booked this State Park due to good reviews on another website.  We were disappointed.  RV sites were very close together.  Site required minimal leveling.  We were on like a hilltop and overlooked lower level RV circle.  Seems like many on lower level were part of a large group and had dogs and that barked endlessly !

Seems each RV had an additional 1-2 vehicles or local friends visiting making driving through next to impossible.

No full hookup but potable water available throughout camping circles.  We were by a water spout and every time an RV/Trailer came in they of course had to fill up.  Check a campground map and try to avoid these sites.  Some, despite signs not to, even washed their dishes at the water spout.

You have to drive to the lake and picnic area.  Picnic area appeared well kept.  We did not swim due to frequency of E-Coli warnings at this lake which was disappointing as it was very warm and we would have enjoyed a cool lake swim.