Garner, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Garner Camping Reviews
Beautiful, Spread-out campsites

Eno River State Park has amazing backpack in camping that is well worth the beautiful walk through the woods. The last trip here was so wonderful that we extended it by two nights!

I’ve camped here numerous times, at different sites each time and have not had a bad experience yet. The hike to get to the campsites winds around the river and across bridges. The actual hikes do not gain much elevation so while it’s not as easy as walking on pavement, it does not take an advanced hiker to reach the remote camp sites. Each campsites I’ve stay at has been fairly spread out from other sites, while you’ll be able to see and hear others these are not uncomfortably close sites.

There’s plenty to explore, so its definitely worth staying for multiple nights. It’s on the Mountain to Sea Trail so a lot of campers around us were through hikers and only stayed one night, but we spent four here and it was four of the most peaceful and relaxing days I can remember. All the sites I’ve stay at have had fire pit rings and tent pads. There’s never been a picnic table, just a rustic wood bench, so I recommend a camp chair or my personal favorite- a tree hammock as there are plenty of places to hang on.

With rivers running through  the whole park, we packed minimal water and used a life straw. The rivers here are very clean and didn't not give us any second thoughts to drink it. The cool, delicious water is better than anything bottled :)

I've gone in both September and April and the weather was perfect both months, cool at night and around 70 during the day.

This is hands down, one of my favorite State Parks to camp at in both North and South Carolina.

no tent camping

seems like a nice place, clean and quiet, but there is no tent camping (or car camping). pretty dissapointing. Manager said they havent allowed tent camping in a few years.

Love this one

Beautiful sites and lake front camping have a loop for first come first serve

Love this one!

Love the beach and waterside camping

Standard and group camping

Things to know:

• Area is managed by Durham Parks and Rec.. the campground is on a hill above Lake Michie. -You are supposed to make reservations but most folks don’t.
  • Sites are numbered, with a large group camping area and small hiking trails.
  • There are pit toilets and water (seasonal, typically on March thru October). -The driveway shares with the Spruce Pine Lodge, which has a parking area and playground area. This is a rental for events.
  • On occasion there is a chain across the drive into the camping area (typically winter months).
  • Beware of locals pulling in late at night to do adult things in their cars.
Quiet and secluded

Lake Michie is one of Durham’s water reservoir. This property is actually managed by Durham Park and Rec and you are supposed to pay to reserve; however most folks do not. This site is primitive and borders the lake. The road is very rutted and unkempt. Two pit toilets are located nearby and well hidden. There is a small stone fire pit with a grill top attached.

Large field and dispersed camping throughout the area. Plenty of pine straw and wood to use for a fire.

The road in is also someone’s driveway so use caution.

Camping

Mostly camping clean access to lake with boats kayak sailboats

Lots of hiking

Trails galore fishing biking swimming

The best almost wilderness campground

Really great views, particularly in the fall. Never really crowded. Great hiking trails or you can just read and cook by the fire. Have been going there for years with my kids. An excellent, little known spot.

Great Clean Campground

We love camping at Lake Jordan, unfortunately we’ve usually camped there while I was having surgery at Duke. However we have been there at other times too. There’s a nice sand beach on the lake and a boat launch as well. Some of the sites offer a tie-off of your boat adjacent to your campsite. The camping sites are spacious and most are level.