The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Canton , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Canton Camping Reviews
No showers but

Pretty clean bathrooms. Easy to find sites. PLENTY of rangers. Heads up: if you have a cooler or water jug it needs to be in your car while you’re sleeping or away from the CG. Nothing food or prep related can be left unattended. I have a large Pelican bear resistant cooler that lives on my hitch rack. It’s locked to my car frame, ratcheted down to both sides of the rack and locked shut. Upon telling the ranger it did not fit in my car, he inspected it, said “mm it seems rugged enough” and let us be. Would stay again for sure.

Nice campground, bad arrival experience

The campground itself is nice. Great location off of newfound gap road, with tent sites along a rushing creek. Large sites, although not very private. Flush toilets and running water, but no showers. The office staff was friendly. A few trails start from the campground with plenty more a quick drive away.

My arrival left a bad taste in my mouth. Long story short, my reserved site had equipment set up when I arrived after hours (8pm) and a call to the ranger gave me three options: move that person’s tent, take someone else’s reserved spot (campground was full) or leave and go to another campground. I was told there was no ranger or camp host to assist. I grabbed a reserved spot and luckily no one showed up. The next morning, I asked the office if I could just keep my new spot, rather than set up everything again and was told that I could not. However, the office told me that the person on my spot should not be there, but they did nothing to move him. I had to wait until he left on his own so I could move my stuff, wasting a lot of the morning.

This was my fifth trip to the Smokies this year, and it is obvious that the most visited national park is also the most understaffed. Very little ranger presence and consequently plenty of disregard for the rules, especially after 5pm.

Great Spot in the Smokies

Awesome spot. Sites our spread out, awesome nearby hiking and a short drive to town. If you camp here, take advantage of the hiking. Tons of cool things to see!

Loved it; cash or check only

Good camping without hookups. There are water spigots, but not at camping sites. Shower and bathrooms on each loop. Great biking/hiking from the campsite. Short walk or drive to boat ramp. Limited cell service for AT&T.

Quiet slice of heaven

This camp ground is a nice quiet place to camp, very family friendly. State stocked river is close by for trout fishing, and the bathrooms are always clean being for what they are.

Great location and nice facility

I love the location for proximity to both Brevard and Asheville. The sites vary in their ability to accommodate larger rigs, so be mindful of that. I have a pop up and had to get creative to fit it into site 8. There are two loops. One has a restroom only and the other (back loop) has showers as well. Bathrooms and showers weren't the cleanest, but were ok. There is no mobile phone service in the campground.

Backcountry waterfront camping

The hike to #28 is not for the faint of heart! This spot was a gem compared to the other sites we passed. Tucked off the main trail are two camping spots with fire pits split by a stream. After hiking for several miles, the stream was a wonderful way to replenish our water supply and a nice added background noise to lull you to sleep. Site is equipped with a pulley system to hoist your items in the trees away from the wildlife.

Good spot, needs some updating and cleaning

Showers we big, but hot water was inconsistent. Cabins were ok, but need some cleaning.Great location in relation to Great Smoky Mountains NP.

The greenscape was awesome

Even though it rained we gad a great hike. The falls were beautiful, and jumping into Midnight Hole was fun. Even at midnight :)