the dyrt
About Nicks Lake - DEC
Located in the Black River Wild Forest, this campground has 112 campsites, picnic area, a large beach with lifeguards and more than 5 miles of hiking trails. The park abuts a 205-acre shallow lake closed to motor boats, which makes this serene location great for canoeing, kayaking, or swimming. And don't forget that fish pole, because the fishing is great too. If paddling around at dusk trolling for that lunker bass or brown trout, listening to the sound of the loons, and watching the sun set sounds a little too relaxing for you then how about a modern ADA Accessible playground for the little ones, volleyball, horseshoes, basketball and more than 3 miles of paved roads for the biker or jogger. Whatever you choose to do with your time here, take time out to observe the abundant wildlife. Whitetail deer are everywhere and friendly. Just minutes away you can enjoy a chairlift ride to the top of McCauley Mountain to view Fulton Chain of lakes or drive into Old Forge and visit the multitude of shops and fine restaurants along Main Street. And once you visit Old Forge, you will have to spend at least one day at the Enchanted Forest / Water Safari. Whether your day is filled with one of the many activities available here or you chose to just sit back and enjoy the campfire, you can always start or end your day with a hot shower in one of our brand-new state of the art ADA Accessible restrooms. Amenities 112 tent and trailer sites, picnic pavilion rental, picnic area with tables and fireplaces, flush toilets, hot showers, ball field, trailer dump station, recycling center, mobility impaired accessibility, sand beach, swimming area, bathhouse, playground, nature trail with 14 educational stations, hiking trails, fishing, bicycling, volleyball, basketball, and softball. Featured Activities Boating two colorful kayaks in the water No motor boats allowed. Rowboats and canoes allowed. Fishing Fish in the area include: brown trout, rainbow trout, brook trout, bass, white sucker, yellow perch, brown bullhead, common sunfish, golden shiner, blacknose dace, creek chub, and common shiner. Hiking The Nicks Lake Trailhead can be accessed within the campground. The Nicks Lake Trail provides access to the 122,000+ acre Black River Wild Forest and it's extensive trail system. Swimming Designated swimming areas are available at some DEC facilities. Based on staffing, some of these facilities may have limited swimming hours/days. For the safety of our customers, swimming will only be permitted when a lifeguard is on duty. Beach hours will be posted at facilities with swimming. To inquire, please contact the campground directly.
Nicks Lake - DEC is located in New York
Directions
278 Bisby Road, Old Forge, NY 13420 From NYS Thruway, Exit 31 at Utica, Route 12 North to Alder Creek, Rte. 28 to Old Forge. Turn right at the Post Office, and follow the Nicks Lake Campground signs 1.5 miles to the campground entrance. From Watertown take Rte. 12 South to Alder Creek, follow above directions. From Blue Mountain Lake take Rte. 28 to Old Forge, turn left at the Post Office and follow the Nicks Lake Campground signs.
11 Reviews of Nicks Lake - DEC
Nicks Lake Campground

Though just moments away from the heart of Old Forge, Nicks Lake provides a nice balance between the hustle and bustle of Main Street and the tranquility of the Adirondacks.

The grounds are a wonderful option for families, not only hosting a number of amenities (i.e. campers beach, hiking trails), but providing opportunities to observe the local wildlife. You can catch sight of deer or a bear at any moment. (Just keep in mind to maintain a safe distance and respect their space!)

The sites were fairly sized and shaded- my family and I reserved sites 38 and 36 for our brief visit. We enjoyed our stay and are likely to return!

Nice Camp Ground

Great campground with nice sites and access to other areas in the ADK … easy hikes up Bald Mountain or Rocky Point. Old Forge is nice town that is not to over developed (like Lke George) and water park near by …

Camping at Nicks Lake in the ADIRONDACKS.

Relaxing, fun hiking , swimming in pristine crystal clean water

A perfect peice of the ADK

Such a nice place to stay. Being in the heart of the forrest is always enjoyable. The lake is great for swimming and kayaking. The nature trails are a great way to spend time taking in natural beauty.

ADK campground

Adirondacks kayak and camp. Beachy swimming area (we went when it was too cold for that). All the sites were extremely wooded and private, great fall colors. Get a site on the lake and talk to the ranger/caretaker about the best things to do in the area. Really nice lake site but not the best for peak views.

Breathtaking scenery. My kind of relaxation

I love camping anywhere where there is a lake. I love kayaking, so normally if there is a lake nearby, then I always bring my kayak. I love getting up early in the morning before everyone else, and kayaking on the lake. I almost feel like I am the only one on the water (and sometimes I am :)). The views on the water are absolutely breathtaking. There are trees that surround the entire lake, and the time I went was late summer/early fall so the trees were changing colors. I could have been out there for hours just taking pictures and taking everything in. Honestly, the pictures don't do it justice. One thing that I love about this campground is how you feel secluded from everything and everyone else. My campsite spot was very private, so my friends and I were able to enjoy the experience that much more. We also appreciated that our campsite had a table and fire pit ring. This made it easy to have lunches and dinners, and the table was nice for seating purposes. My friends and I enjoyed some great hikes, one that took us to the top of a peak and we could see the beautiful lake from above. The campground was very well maintained and clean, had restrooms, a small playground, and a beach area. The people working at the campground were extremely nice and helpful. They were the ones that directed us one which hikes to do. They also have some shops where you can rent some canoes to take out of the lake. I had my kayak, but a few of my friends rented a canoe and joined me on the water one evening. We stayed on loop D and had a great view of the lake, and obviously just walking distance to get into the water. Not sure what the other "loops" are like, but we really liked our location and amenities. Overall, I would recommend others to come and stay here. The campground is within the Adirondack Park so you cant really go wrong with that :). I cant wait to come back with my friends (or family) and enjoy another stay here.

Breathtaking scenery. My kind of relaxation

Quiet Loops

A calm and peaceful campground with multiple driving loops separated by a generous amount of forest.

Great basic campground

Near Old Forge, a popular destination in the ADKs. Nice place to stay for 1-2 days on your way into the ADKs from western NY. Lots of trails and water nearby, must be especially beautiful in the fall. Fills up fast, reserve early! Many campsites are right on the lake. All are wooded, many have good privacy. Some more “rustic” than others, ask the rangers about getting one that matches your expectations/needs. Clean and standard state campground sites, also has some sports fields. Rangers were very helpful in suggesting things to do.

Fantastic Quiet Campground!!!

This campground is awesome. The sites are nice and separate so you have a good amount of privacy. The bathrooms are cleaned daily so they are very family friendly. Showers are available on A, C, and E loops. The beach is manned by a lifeguard until 6pm and is very well maintained. We love brining the kids here without worrying about loud crazy campers up until all hours of the night. There were some pesky bears wandering at night looking for an easy meal. Although if you are careful about your food items they will not even stop at your site.