No Drinking Water
No WiFi
North Lake Resevoir is located in New York
1 Review of North Lake Resevoir
North Lake Reservoir

Not that they would do this place any justice, but I sincerely wish I had pictures. Unfortunately my last visit here was before smart phones were so commonplace. North Lake Reservoir is one of the Adirondack Park’s best kept secrets. Extremely primitive, you must get off Rte 28, heading toward the old Buffalo Head restaurant and passed there, keep going another 30-40 minutes along a dirt/gravel road until you reach N Lake Rd.

The DEC-run facility offers about 25 primitive sites along North Lake. There is a campers log where you can sign in at the entrance and the sites are dispersed along a long dirt road. A few are drive-in, while many you must park and walk-in. These sites are primitive-no tables, no facilities or running water. Best of all, no generators or electrical hookups for those of us in it to truly be in nature.

I don’t recall the site number, but we had about a 1/2-3/4 mile hike along a narrow path to the site. It was completely worth it- the site was large and right on the water, completely surrounded by trees and shade. The only sounds came from the occasional boat across the lake and loon calls in the morning.

Coming here has absolutely been one of my favorite experiences. If you’re adventurous and up for the challenge and seclusion, I highly recommend checking out North Lake Reservoir!