The best TENT SITES camping near
Chamizal , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Chamizal Camping Reviews
Cozy campground

I decided to stay here last minute and arrived after dark on Jan. 21st. It was easy to find- look for the drive just to the side of the canal (I turned left onto the dirt road after coming off I-25). There are 2 dirt roads - take the upper one to the right, and within a few hundred feet there is a steepish driveway to the right down to under the trees.

Tables and fire rings provided- although as another reviewer stated, there are posted fire restrictions.

Sites are very flat. There is a semi-busy road nearby but it feels secluded under the trees. One other camper set up when I got in- I was surprised to see anyone, but it was nice to know someone else was around too.

I’d definitely stay here again, even as a solo female traveler.

Lots of cell service (ATT)

Better than expected!

I didn't stay but I did drive through to check it out for future stops. First impression was very clean! There are two basic areas, the fishing area around the pond which is good sized and shaped so that there's lots of shoreline. The other area is the camping area with hookups and tent sites. In between was the playground and bathroom area. There is a group shelter, and trees. It's a bit off the main highway but easy access. The river is nearby and there are some primitive access roads.

Simple

Nice spot in the cottonwoods room for about 10 with good space in between. Concrete tables with fire pits although there's restrictions right now. It is right off the road and a little steep to get into.

Okay Park

It’s okay. Has decent hookups and a firepit. Comes with free firewood, which was nice. Has a picnic table. No showers. No bathrooms during covid, which sucks. Campsites are pretty close together.

Hoodoos and beasties

Rather hard to find the road onto the correct road to get to the right road! Once headed to the west look for the sign taking you to the right into a dry wash. Follow the arroyo past a giant "bread loaf" that is a geological unconformity. Drive into an abrupt canyon with straight walls and side slots. Eventually you run into a rock wall that can be traversed by scrambling around it and continue 1/2 mile to a short pour-off. Camping is allowed but be aware of flash floods. It's a narrow canyon with only one way out. A parallel road just to the south of San Lorenzo Canyon is all on BLM land (dispersed camping). Pack it in, pack it out.

Not open

This campground has not been open for many years due to vandalism.

Best free campsite I have ever been to!

We just arrived at this free campground. Concrete picnic tables and fire rings provided. We are surrounded by what looks to me like oak trees, but I have yet to confirm that. It reminds me of my home state of Minnesota!

We are near the Rio Grande Bosque, and are looking forward to our ventures observing the migratory birds of the area.

Free for 2 More Years!

We loved this place. Attempted at first to camp at The Box down the road but it was really crowded so we came here and what a great choice!

This is a FREE campground but plans are in the works to started charging in 2 years at $10/night. There are gravel tent and parking pads, picnic tables, fire rings, pit toilets and garbage.

When you first pull in there is a narrow opening to a rocky dirt road straight ahead and to the left is a day use picnic area. The sign at the beginning of the dirt road said trailers not advisable but one came down before we started up so we went for it. We have a 26 foot class C. Dirt road driving experience necessary. The road is quite narrow, rocky and has a couple washouts and tight turns but not impossible to navigate….use your best judgement!

There were only a couple of other campers and the views are very nice. Some sites are close together however. There are pit toilets and garbage at the beginning of the campground and at the end loop.

Great hiking area too! Further down the road where it says "no turn around" is a group site but the gate is locked and you'll need to contact National Forest Service if you want to use this area.

There is no drinking water or cell reception from AT&T or Verizon. Pets allowed on a leash. Also there are free roaming cattle we saw on the main road in but none in the campground though there was poop evidence that they've been around.

Along the dirt road hiking trails near the campground people have made other camping areas with rock fire pits. The roads to these areas are narrow and 4WD necessary.

Rough Tent Camping...Great Rock Climbing

Drove down the night before in order to go climbing the next day.  Found a decent spot in a dry wash to put up the tent for the night.  It worked and allowed quick access to the crag in the morning.  Does start to get busy with climbers fairly early (8am or so).  Would be perfect for somebody with a camper-van or teardrop.

As good as it gets, Quiet, scenic and far enough away but not too far.

As good as it gets, Quiet, scenic and far enough away but not too far.