Peru, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Peru Camping Reviews
It’s meh

Our stay was the weekend of Oct. 26. I prefer primitive camping in secluded areas. Not the case here. Sites are small and very close together. Luckily we stayed at the end of the season so the park wasn’t very busy. We did have semi close RV neighbors and their lights at night illuminated our surroundings. It was windy that weekend so the sound of the leaves and Interstate mostly drowned out the sound of the neighbors. Another downside was how close the park is to the Interstate. Park pricing wasn’t bad and staff was friendly and professional. I picked up more trash than we created during our stay, that was unfortunate. Even the fact that someone threw out plastic flower pots, there are dumpsters close by. SMH.

One my favorite

Great little lake. Fun to explore and hike in the wooded areas, and some of the best camping spots are a little hidden.

October fest a blast

What an awesome place to camp in October. This last weekend they have haunted hayrack rides, pumpkin throws, trick or trick, VW bus fest, yoga, craft fair, crafts, breast cancer awareness walk, flea market and food trucks. And last but not least, haunted campgrounds. People decorate their campsite and all ages trick or treat. There really are some awesome displays. If you’ve never been- go! It’s a blast.

Platte River State Park

Very nice park! Not as crowded as neighboring Mahoney State Park but very similar activities.

Mahoney

Very well kept park with so much to do!

Loved staying here

Beautiful clean place to stay

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hats at Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, NE

Campground Review:

Eugene T. Mahoney State Park in Nebraska is on the Platte River off Interstate 80 about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln.  I will preface the review stating that the review is receiving four stars primarily because of the amenities at the park.  The campgrounds themselves are fairly basic.  There are areas to tent and park your RV within the state park.  The RV campground has about a dozen full hookup sites and the rest of the campsites have electric hookups.  There is not much room between the sites, so you do feel that you are stacked on top of the other campers.  There is a wait list for the campgrounds much of the year.  We were able to score a walk-up thankfully.  The site does have water fill stations and a dump station.  Their shower house is also decent enough.

But, as I said you are not coming here to hangout in the campground.  There is something for everyone at this state park.  They have hiking on paved and un-paved trails, which we utilized both.  There is an activities center for kids to make different arts and crafts.  They have horseback riding, a theater, paddle boating, parks, minature golf, etc.  During the summer you can have fun at the big water park they have on site.  They also have cabins and lodge rooms available for rent.  The cabins book quickly, and can get pricey at around upwards of $400 a night during their peak season for one of the newer cabins.  The lodge houses a decent restaurant with some great views of the Platte River.

At the main activities area they have a massive indoor play area for kids.  This building also houses their new and extremely fun 40ft. climbing walls.  Outside this building during the winter they have a covered ice rink and they also produce their own snow for the sledding hill.  All-in-all it is a nice place with plenty to do onsite.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I occasionally get to test products.  While out at the state park we got the opportunity to test out Banner & Oak hats. https://bannerandoak.com/

My boys and really appreciate good hats.  We found the Banner & Oak brand hats to be really exception hats.

The hats my sons wore were the Banner & Oak Eagle and the Banner & Oak Sierra.  These two hats were made in the United States.  I wore the Banner & Oak Switchback which was not produced in the United States.

All three hats are really quality hats.  The stitching is tight around the sweatbands and the bill, which is usually a sign the hat will last a long time.

The mesh used for the back of the hat appears to be an older heavier duty mesh.  This mesh reminds me of the mesh found in older hats, or the hats of my youth.  I still have a couple of these hats, so this is another good sign of lasting quality.

The overall designs of all three hats are really just cool.  They look cool and they feel cool, and I am really surprised by how much I like the flat billed hat, since I usually cannot stand them.  The boys and I are really impressed with the construction and feel of the Banner & Oak hats!

Love it

This is one off the prettiest places we have been camping at and will be going back again. Camp sites are spread apart giving u room to do things on ur camp site.

Small but Nice

We enjoy Kirkman’s for the sand beach and boating. The camper spots (electrical and non electrical) are nice, level, and shaded with mature trees. There’s bathrooms located in between the camper area and the sand beach. One disappointment is the play ground which is dated and not much to offer. Overall, we enjoy the camp ground and visit it often!

Love the history

Indian Cave State Park is full of history! Every path or trail you go down, you will find some sort of blast from the past. The trails are wonderful and the old school house, old well, cave and other buildings are so fun to go explore! Some of the camping grounds are a little dated but it’s nice there’s shower houses and mature trees. We like to visit the park in the spring and fall, only because there’s no place for the kids to swim and cool down in the hot summer, and for the Halloween festivities! All in all there’s many things to do, learn, and explore during your stay! We’re never bored!

Park is closed for the 2019 season due to flooding

Nice park, with electrical and water at most every site, however the campground is flooded by the Missouri River for the 2019 season. Check back soon

Wouldn’t stop again

Stopped here for one night on a long trip. I was disappointed at first that the swim area was closed already in Mid-August but then I saw it and changed my mind. The areas around the campsites and for swimming were large ponds. I wouldn’t have let my kiddo in there if it was open. The pit toilets were absolutely disgusting, but I guess that is to be expected. Road noise was pretty intense at night. Overall I wouldn’t stop here again.

Nice and quiet

Great place! Nice open spaces, never too crowded, well maintained!

Waterfront spots!

This campground is definitely older but having water hookups and lakefront pads make up for it. Only one bathroom house and it’s definitely nothing to write home about. Small play set for kids on one side of the grounds. Would go again if other surrounding locations are full.

Our go to campground!

We love Duck Creek! It has everything you would need in a campground! Excellent playgrounds for kids, swimming and beach area, bathrooms, and depending where you park, a beautiful view of the lake and the miles of Peru bottoms around it!

Family Friendly

Convenient location right off the highway, but with that you do get the noise. Has a playground and pool as will as a convenience store. Bathrooms and showers were clean. Not much to do outside of the campgrounds, but we were just passing through so was an ideal spot for us. Offers military discount.

Nice little city park

A nice little city park in the Loess Hills of Iowa, it's not a destination but makes for a good overnight stop. The campground is primarily RV camping with about 20 sites with full hook ups. The tent camping is a bit vague, as all of the numbered sites had hook ups. I ended up pitching my tent in the grass as I didn't want to take the last site with hook ups when I didn't need them. There really aren't any trees for hammocks. The bathroom is secure with a coded door, and it is very clean inside although also very hot. The info on the bath house said to drop your pay envelope in the slot next door to city hall in town, which necessitates a drive back into the cute town. There is a nice walking path around the pond and some pretty neat historical buildings to explore as well.

An important note: Due to the massive and devastating flooding in the Spring (2019), most of the sites were occupied by flood victims, not just in this campground, but all along highway 29/the Loess Hills. Many campgrounds have modified their fees or closed to regular campers to provide space to families who lost their homes and farms to the Missouri River flooding.

Open Camping

Open concept camping with decent amenities.

Horseback riding and archery.

Very clean Campground very well maintained horseback riding was a blast and the archery range was cool as hell face to the T-Rexes

Lots of fun things to do!

Pros: SO many activities for the kids - water park, ceramic painting, paddle boats, indoor play area, lots of playgrounds, picnic areas for family gatherings, zip lines, horseback riding. Also nice to have bathhouse with shower and flush toilets. Convenient location right off the highway and 5 mins from the Air and Space Museum.

Cons: SO many bugs. Make sure you bring lots of bug spray. RV sites are pretty close together and are very small. Our site only had electric hookups - no water. It was crazy hot and humid when we stayed there at the end of June.

FYI - If you want to stay in a cabin, they tend to book a year in advance.

Great easy getaway

Went tent camping with 3 kids on a weekday and had the place to ourselves. I really like area 4. There are a bunch of campsites close to the lake but if you keep going there is a parking area and a short trail through the woods that leads to an open area right by the lake. Secluded but still pretty close to the bathroom if needed.

Peaceful

Just off of I29 it is a very primitive but quiet spot, great fishing, primitive hiking, a small amount of camping spots.

Comfortable Spots

The camper spots are pretty nice, but if you have not reserved a spot beforehand, get out to the park early as the first come first served spots fill up quickly! Every spot is equipped with a nice fire ring, and there is plenty of scrap wood laying around if you forget your firewood. The only downfall would be the interstate noise. You can hear that all the time while sitting out around the fire.

Great beginning hikes

Platte River has nice inexpensive cabins and lots of easy trails to explore with the family. There’s also horse trail rides and a splash pads. Don’t want to cook? There’s a lodge restaurant with yummy homestyle cooking.

Great for families!

Superb park for families as there is so much to do! Water park with wave pool and slides, mini golf, paved and dirt walking trails, fun melodramas, zip line course, etc. plus winter activities in the off season. Modern camping with electric at ever site. Updated cabins, and great views in the lodge rooms. Down fall no river access do to railroad tracks, can get pretty busy in the summer, no primitive camping.

Best Anniversary Yet

We went Memorial Day weekend thinking it would be packed with guests. Lucky for us there were maybe 10 other tents and then plenty of RVs. The walk to the lake is quiet, and the sunsets are beautiful on the water! We will definitely be going back again.

It’s okay

I’ve only been here much and didn’t do much exploring. The campsites were decently spaced. But, our site was right by a train track. There were trains going by all night long.

Great for cabins!

They have a couple of different kinds of cabins. There’s a bunch of trails! The park in general is beautiful.

Awesome spot

This park is huge with all kinds of camping! We stayed at a walk-in spot that was hidden behind some trees. It was secluded and amazing! There are lots of trails and activities here too!