The best WALK IN camping near
Winifred , MONTANA

Most Recent Winifred Camping Reviews
Glacier National Park

July 13 - 16, 2019 Stunning Park. Site C144 had no electric or water but water was available in park. There were showers and flush toilets. A utility sink with hot water was available for washing dishes. There was a dump station. Verizon signal 4 bars. Sr. Lifetime discount rate was $11.50.  The free buses were a great way to see the park. Elevation 4,551 Red buses were very cramped and there was a charge also.

Beautiful!

Mosquitos!! Lots of them 😱. The view was unmatched and beautiful but be prepared for the swarm eeekk!!

Beautiful but Mosquitos

Mosquitoes were vicious when we stayed. Technically only 6 campsites and seems to be a popular place. I’d suggest getting there early afternoon if possible and be prepared for thick mosquitoes

Beautiful sunsets A LOT of mosquitos

This spot is outside the west entrance of Yellowstone and is very convenient for visiting Yellowstone HOWEVER… the mosquitos were crazy. My boyfriend and I took our propane stove into our tent cos we couldn’t stand the mosquitos that much! This spot is beautiful but the mosquitos unfortunately ruined it for us. However I don’t think the mosquitos are always as bad as they were and if you come prepared I’d say it may be worth it. This place is very popular and crowded so come early for a spot.

Paradise..!

This campground has to be one of my favorites ever, and that’s definitely saying something! We arrived on this spot after spending a long day at Yellowstone and being bummed we couldn’t get a backcountry pass for the night. But our luck quickly changed when we found this hidden gem, about 20 minutes away from Yellowstone’s west entrance. We followed a dirt road for a short while till arriving upon the lake shore, where we were met by some truly amazing views. With the mountain range reflecting upon the water, and the orange and pink clouds floating above we spent the evening wishing we could stay there forever. After taking many pictures of the view, we set up camp along the waterfront and set a fire (there are about 3/4 campfire rings). We ended up making some awesome bread, mixing only beer and batter together cooked on the fire and it turned out delicious! The only problem was in the morning, after having left the tent open for only 5 minutes at night an unknown critter came into the tent and stung my eyelid, so watch out for bugs!! Still wouldn’t give this any lower of a score, because for us it was truly paradise!!

Nice area, no shade

Nice area, refreshing swim.. Could be more shade. Limited fire pits but lots of space. Free for Montana residents!

A Hidden Gem

I stumbled across Camp Creek Campground summer of '19 when I was having some problems with my slides and needed to stop for the night.  The campground has several very large pull through spots, and folks with horses often pass through.  Upon entering the campground area, a caretakers spot is early on, while no caretaker was employed last year, there is a sanitary dump station at the site, as well as, potable water.  A bit past that is a large area for horse trailer parking, and a corral.   As one progresses down the road,  a large group gathering area is on left of the road, along with parking.  A bit further are large, clean, restroom facilities, and another area for both parking and pulling one's rig through to load up on water.  Continuing down the road are numerous camping spots, most are smaller.  However, a the end of the loop are two large spots big enough to pull a large fifth wheel or motorhome through.  A further two or three large back in sites are there as well.  A small stream runs through the back area, and endless hiking / horseback riding trails are in this area as well.  Further, there is another hookup one can fill their tanks with potable water (no sites have water hookups on site, except the caretakers).  When I was there in late July, the campground was maybe 1/3 full.  We ended up staying three nights.

Drawbacks:  there are four to note.  First, while the sites are well kept, those with very wide RV's (mine is 92") or high (mine is 13') will find branches to be bothersome at best.  In my case I made a decision some time ago that I was going to be careful, but my rig was going to get used in the great outdoors, and that meant getting a scratch from time to time.  I fully realize when one is paying $60k - $500k and more, that may be somewhat less than desirable.  And while there are several good sized spaces, I wouldn't try bringing in anything longer than 36' (mine is 33).   Second, the road in is rather long, a good gravel road, but gravel (and dusty) none the less.  If one gets caught in the rain this area is well known for it's gumbo roads … they can be very miserable.  Third, a local told me that the place was heaven nearly all season … except .. during hunting season.   He used some rather colorful language to depict the camping environment during those six weeks or so in late fall.  Fourth, if you have a problem you are a long way from help, and there is no cell service.   All that said, this is a wonderful campground, great for kids and Old Goats like me.

Good enough when passing through

We stayed here on a trip out to Glacier NP. If you are just passing through to get from point A-B and don't want to get out into the back country, this campsite really fits the bill.

It's clean, maintained and relatively quiet. As others noted, it's essentially free, donations accepted.

Beautiful lakeside spot

Lovely quiet dispersed camping spot by the lake. We had seen other reviews that it was bad for mosquitos but we didn’t see a single one. Room for about 6 sites here with a few prebuilt fire pits. Beautiful views - we loved it.

You need to drive down a dirt road with some pot holes and wash boarding. Would recommend scouting it first if it has been wet and there were some big puddles already.

We were fine in our camper van but big rigs might struggle a little In bad weather.

Great spot for sleeping or taking a break

This place is great and it runs off of donations, so make sure to drop some cash into their donation box if you can. Clean bathrooms and plenty of spots to park your car and camp, some with picnic tables even. There is trash and plastic/can recycling. Flush toilets and running water. There’s a shower at the civic center in town for $2, or one in Grass Lands for $5 just 30 min down the road.