The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Winona , MISSOURI

Most Recent Winona Camping Reviews
Great Missouri SP

Just spent the weekend with my family at Sam A Baker (SAB). We stayed at campground 2. Spot 145 and had plenty of shade and space. There are two traditional camps and one equestrian. The park is crowded but that’s because of how great it is. Lots of paved walk/bike trails around the park. If you forget your bike no problem you can rent one for $5 a day! The visitors center was neat. The general store has everything you need and a restaurant attached where you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner. We spent some time on the gravel bar which was a short walk from our campsite. The water on Big Creek was clear, shallow, and not too cold. I would recommend this state park to any family looking to camp.

Perfect Family Campground

The state of missouri does an amazing job providing opportunities for families to enjoy the beauty of nature. Nature programs for kids and parents to learn. Well kept facilities. The ice cream is just a bonus. This is by far my favorite campsite for the kids.

Great swimming hole!

We went with the whole fam to Sam A Baker. Shower houses were conveniently located in camping area. Big River was just a small walk away from the campsite. I know they had been flooded, but I am still cleaning rocks and dirt from the camper. They had a nice camp store and were very friendly. Mostly electric sites. A few full hookups close to the front of the campground. Nice paved roads and larger than normal sites. It was during a pandemic, but bathrooms were pretty clean. Will definitely go again.

Amazing river swimming, but try to come mid-week if you can!

Pros:

--Tons of swimming in the rivers and"shut-ins" throughout the park(just remember to wear water shoes if you can; it's VERY gravely)

--Lots of trails

--Nice, mellow bike path connecting the two main campgrounds and the very fun camp store(look up on the ceiling!)

--Tall pines(I love tall pines, that's all)

Cons: DISCLAIMER-- We were here on a weekend in August, so I suspect our experience was very much shaped by that….

--Campground was PACKED and LOUD

--Campground was PACKED and LOUD

Okay, I think you get the picture with the campground itself. It was one of those things that made me feel like a cranky old man, saying,"man, why can't these people stop trying to show-off their lame-ass stereos???" That said, the park itself was beautiful.

The main attraction is the water. The river twists and turns through the park. It's shallow, gently flowing, and VERY clear pretty much everywhere(except a few places where it was stagnant!). PRO TIP!!! Since the campground was PACKED and LOUD, most people seemed to not venture too far from the campground itself, so if you want your own private swimming spots, you can hike a relatively short distance and grab one. We did the short"shut-ins" trail and found a perfect one.

BOTTOM LINE: If you want any peace and quiet, don't stay here on the weekend. I suspect the weekdays would be better, and if you managed to schedule mid-week, I suspect it would be an incredible place to stay.

Fun Campground

We enjoyed our 1.5 mile hike to get to the river access to float. We brought our own flotation devices and really enjoyed every aspect of the seclusion. They have equestrian trails as well and we got to see horses while floating too. The water was crystal clear and we even found quartz in some rocks in the water.

Great campground

Great campground lots of things to do. Camp store was nice. Had a great area to roast s’mores and sit around the campfire at night

Nice campsite

Very accommodating campground. Has a nicely stocked store when you come in for anything you might have forgotten. Bathrooms were a little cramped but clean. Clean showers. We stayed in a campsite on the river. The campsites are a little close together but no one was at the one next to us so it did not feel so bad. Staff was very nice and friendly. Campgrounds are right outside of town if you need to go get anything they might not have at the store. I would stay here again. We enjoyed it

Walk-Ins Perfect for Social Distancing

We spent the weekend at WI513, wagons are provided as the trail is hilly. Camp site has wooden pads due to terrain, and depending on which campsite you’re in, bathroom and shower facilities are nearby and kept very clean. General store on site has provisions, firewood, and free WiFi. Nearby Shut-ins is in the day use are beautiful, great for a dip on a hot day. However those who wish to continue practicing social distancing should skip the dip and stick to the miles of beautiful trails.

Amazing Campgrounds

Well kept campgrounds, and restrooms!! Best I've seen around!! lots of shade and parking, camp host does a AMAZING JOB!! We will be back soon!!!

I love this place!!

at the very back where it connects to the current river are some amazing bluffs to jump off of