The best TENT SITES camping near
Horn Lake , MISSISSIPPI

Most Recent Horn Lake Camping Reviews
Not the Safest

Pretty bare bones, dirt sites were easy to maneuver in and out of, but I had to disconnect for my overnight here and I did not feel very safe. The only neighbor I met was selling 5 week old pit bulls, which was very concerning if you are a dog lover or advocate. The next morning, I had a 10” rod deep in the side of my wheel - coincidence? I was ready to get out of there!

Quiet, inexpensive nature setting campground

Remotely located but still close to major roads. We came in with a 38’ RV not much problem with spaces but be aware of trees on both sides of spaces. We were given space #60 but would not have been able to open slides because of trees so we took another space. Most of them are not leveled. Water and electric hookups. We saw a momma dear and her baby cross the road. Lots of trees and leaves everywhere. It’s fall. For the price it can’t be beat. We paid senior price $16.

Good spot for a stop over on a road trip

We were passing through Memphis and stayed overnight at Fort Pillow. The staff in the office were not super friendly or helpful. I had to ask for everything, like a campsite map to my site, a trail map, and buying firewood. Nothing was offered, so definitely ask. The layout is also backwards. You have to drive all the way to the back of the park to get to the museum visitors center. I am sure there is a practical reason for this, but it wasn’t fully transparent. I always check in to campsite to introduce myself and get a lay of campsite from the people who work there. They just were not very social or helpful.

We stayed in campsite 4 which is more or less a walk-in type site. You park and then have to haul your gear about 15 yards to your site. The privacy and cliff side campsite is worth it, but there again was no one warning. We were only staying one night and the site was a little impractical for our needs. If you are staying 2-3 nights then grab campsite 4, in the winter months after the leaves have fallen this site would be stunning. It is basically a private overlook to the Mississippi. Only thing that would’ve made this campsite perfect would be running water. Instead you have to walk to the bath house to snag water.

Amenities:

There was electrical hookup at site but no water. (Was not able to locate communal water) Bath house cleaned daily and was a private set room style. Tent pad and campsite is pebbles to allow for moisture/bring long stakes or expect to not to be able to stake in your tent.

Great one-nighter.

This was just a stop over fire us on our way back to Texas. Nice concrete pads. The sights are pretty cozy, but I have seen worse. When we arrived it was during the day and the office was open, yet all the registrations had been put out in the late check-in box for us to grab and go on our way. I realize the current time we are in but I found this to be very cold and not a very friendly welcome. There is a laundry here but I don’t really see any other amenities. Perfect for our one night stop.

Easy Access to Graceland

Nice park. It’s not fancy and not run down. I was a little hesitant to come here (during Covid-19) based on the reviews. The more I looked into the reviews, I realized most of the bad reviews are for a different RV Park.

Most people who stay here are coming for Elvis Presley’s Graceland tour. The RV Park is great if you are doing the same. If you’re not, there’s not much to do here and the spots are close together.

You can walk right from the RV park to the museum. There’s a private gate from the campground to leads to the museum so you don’t have to drive anywhere.

The camp ground is clean, they’ll come and pick up your trash and take it to the dumpster and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. We needed a packaged delivered for work and it arrived before we did and the office would be closed by the time we pulled in the gate. They left it outside of the office door for us per our request.

I felt completely safe at the camp ground. They a have a 24-hour security guard at the entrance and you must sign-in to enter the property. While my husband was at work in downtown Memphis (Main & 2nd) his truck window was broken out and the person went through the truck. It happened right next to the job site, caught on camera and no one saw it happening. It took 15 minutes total for the break-in to occur. The same thing happened to two other workers from the same crew the week before. The police don’t come out and investigate. Be careful and don’t leave anything valuable in your vehicle outside of the RV park. From what I’ve researched since our window was busted out, this happens all over Memphis and it doesn’t matter if you are in a good neighborhood or not.

Finally fixing this one up

This is an old campground. The sites are not well marked, so make sure you get there during daylight. We have camped here a few times, as it is relatively close to home. They are finally beginning to work on the other side of the campground to get it opened back up. This has the potential to be a great spot. Most of the sites on the edges are in the sun most of the day, so be aware of that. The park is nice and peaceful, with plenty of fishing and boating opportunities. No real hiking to speak of, one short trail nearby.

Unique Terrain, Sites Need Updates

We camped at Village Creek State Park in the Crowley’s Ridge region of Arkansas over Labor Day weekend. We booked two class B RV sites - one for ourselves and one for my husband’s parents - in advance. On our way to camp we got a call informing us that they had accidentally deleted one reservation assuming it was a duplicate (same name), and that there were no longer two sites together in that loop. They offered to re-book us in the only section that still had side-by-side campsites available. Village Creek is a somewhat unique park in that has an Equestrian Camp offering with stables, exercise corrals, water, mounting blocks and the like available for those who would like to travel with their own horses. While it was not what we originally booked, staying in “Horse Camp” was really cool and different - a BIG hit with our kids. The park has over 30 miles of equestrian trails and is a popular destination for horse owners. While all of that made for really cool atmosphere, the sites themselves left a lot to be desired. It almost looks like major erosion has occurred since these sites were first built - at every site in this loop, the picnic table and fire ring are IN the woods, and often partway down a ravine, with lots of brush, branches and vines hanging around them. We tried to use the table and fire ring on our first night and abandoned it for the rest of the trip. Our inlaws’ table was in such a dangerous location that we couldn’t access it at all, and we quickly realized was a cozy home for copperheads. Our water hookup had a wasp nest inside it. All of these details made it hard to relax as we were constantly on our guard with our kids and dog. We checked out the other camping areas and they were in much better shape, recently renovated and with full hookups. The trails at Village Creek were BEAUTIFUL. There is a particularly stunning trail that includes one of the most well-preserved sections of the Trail of Tears. This made for both an lovely hike and a history lesson for our seven year old. The Crowley’s Ridge region of the state is home to unique geological formations, soil and plant life unlike anywhere else in Arkansas. The Big Ben Nature Trail offers a great opportunity to identify these unusual plant species and is a short, easy hike. However, erosion is a big issue on the ridge, and sections were somewhat washed out after recent heavy rains. There are two small lakes that are popular with anglers. A couple of boat ramps are available for fishing boat launch. There is a small swimming area for campers only, but this lake is not great for swimming as it is pretty muddy. Take lots of bug spray in summer, and maybe only consider horse camp if you HAVE a horse. It’s worth a walk through in the morning or late afternoon when riders are tacking up or returning from rides.

Ez-ish anyway

The park is nice and clean. Really quiet the night we stayed. But don’t expect much Info or help if checking in after hours.

We got in late with no reservation. Box on door had about 7 registration slips so we guessed there were probably that many spots available (as there is no map or legend showing what spots were available for the night anywhere).

We were wrong. Wanted a pull thru and found only one. But it was reserved. Drove whole park and found 1 back in. Called the after hours numbers to confirm we didn’t miss something but both went straight to voicemail. Oh well…we backed in and got a night of rest, so mission complete.

Huge, Beautiful and Lots of Trails

Little to no AT&T cell signal. We were able to get 3-4 mbs with our hot spot plugged into an antenna about 10’ in the air. The people were great, all of the sites are spread out bathrooms are dated but well maintained. Firewood was pricey so I would bring your own.

Nice But Filthy

Nice wooded area along the western tip of Sardis lake. We pulled in and the pay station was covered so unable to pay the $10 fee, but the gate was open, bathrooms were open and dumpster unlocked. Got a spot right near the water…well actually we could have grabbed any spot because we were the only ones in the park.

The park could have been really nice but there was a lot of garbage around the fire pits and in the water, however the bathrooms were clean.

Stayed one night only. Good cell reception with AT&T and Verizon.