Mars Hill, MAINE

10 Reviews
Most Recent Mars Hill Camping Reviews
Very nice campground

I enjoyed staying here, the campground was quiet, clean, and the staff and owners were very friendly… I would recommend and will be ack

Basic Camping

Just a basic field that can accommodate tents & big RVs. Big field in the back that my dog loved to run around in. Water & electrical hookups. Next to a big road that you can hear. There is a little bathhouse with toilets & a shower. Also does have a washer/dryer available. We stayed in a camper during September/October so there weren’t many people around.

Basic open campground for RVs and tents

I was in Presque Isle for the annual Crown of Maine balloon festival and for future reference I wanted to check out area campgrounds. If you’re heading into town from the south, you’ll see the campground before you see the sign which is tucked in among the trees. Check in at the back door of the house.

Sites occupy a large field with woods to the right and farmland to the left. Sites are grassy and open and can accommodate both tents and very large RVs. It is by the main road, so you will hear road traffic. If you are in a tent and dependent upon facilities, there is a small bathroom with toilets and shower. They are cramped and dated; there's a small porch on the front and the paint is peeling.

Beautiful park

This was an amazing stay would love to go back

Beautiful family campground

I have stayed here twice and loved it both times. The first time I went as a family the second alone and took in the views of the beautiful trails they had to offer. Everyone is friendly and they offer a clean shower house. Families here hang outside and interact with each other. Would definitely go back

Lovely lake

Great place to spend time on the lake

Nice state park

Stopped for a one night visit. Huge site (most are big). Good space between neighbors. Bathroom/showers are free and spotless. I didn’t have time to hike but there are lots of options. Very quiet, although I was one of two camping parties in the place. Close to town. Very relaxing. Take your own wood. $5 gets you a puny ‘bundle’. Mine was wet.

Camping in the County!

We love to camp in State Parks, and the North East has plenty of them to try. For many years, I have looked at a spot on my Maine map called Aroostook State Park, way up north near the great city of Presque Isle. On the spur of the moment, our well travelled group decided to spend the weekend camping in Aroostook County and the great Maine woods!

Nice camp sites

Overall the experience is awesome. Camp grounds are a decent size. Lots of trails hike.

Great basecamp for accessing the new Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument and Baxter State Park

We were interested in kayaking on ponds and streams in the KAWW or Baxter State Park. Since we have a trailer and our buddies have a RV, we new we could not get into South Branch Pond in BSP. We decided to try Shin Pond Village Campground, a privately owned place in Mt. Chase on the way to the northern entrance of BSP.

The campground is right off Route 159, which is now a scenic by way in the KAWW National Monument. Although our sites were close to the road, there was so little traffic it really didn't matter! Sites were flat and open, with decent privacy for a privately owned campground. There was a really good store and a great diner attached to the main office building. Campfire wood was abundant (and for sale by the campground) and each site had a picnic table, fire ring, and fire place to cook on.

The campground is between upper and lower Shin Ponds, with easy boat access to both. We were about 15 miles from the northern entrance of Baxter State Park (BSP), so we chose to travel to South Branch Pond to spend the day kayaking. A great choice as you can see from the pictures.