Hodgdon, MAINE

Most Recent Hodgdon Camping Reviews
Rockstar Energy Drinks

Rockstar Energy Drinks need your Car, Van, Boat, Bike, Scooter, Wheelchair, Truck, Containers or a Concrete Drums for an Advertisements, We need to Plaster our Sticker on it, You get ($500 Weekly) Email me for more informations: johnbryan037@gmail.com, johnbryan3737@gmail.com

Thanks.

Very nice campground

I enjoyed staying here, the campground was quiet, clean, and the staff and owners were very friendly… I would recommend and will be ack

Basic Camping

Just a basic field that can accommodate tents & big RVs. Big field in the back that my dog loved to run around in. Water & electrical hookups. Next to a big road that you can hear. There is a little bathhouse with toilets & a shower. Also does have a washer/dryer available. We stayed in a camper during September/October so there weren’t many people around.

Basic open campground for RVs and tents

I was in Presque Isle for the annual Crown of Maine balloon festival and for future reference I wanted to check out area campgrounds. If you’re heading into town from the south, you’ll see the campground before you see the sign which is tucked in among the trees. Check in at the back door of the house.

Sites occupy a large field with woods to the right and farmland to the left. Sites are grassy and open and can accommodate both tents and very large RVs. It is by the main road, so you will hear road traffic. If you are in a tent and dependent upon facilities, there is a small bathroom with toilets and shower. They are cramped and dated; there's a small porch on the front and the paint is peeling.

Close to Mount Katadhan

This is my 2nd time enjoying this camp. The management is very friendly and helpful in the care of my family pets, they’ll walk and occasionally keep an eye on your pets while you’re out hiking on Mount Katadhan, and will provide a shuttle to and from the mount, for an agreeable fee.

Beautifully maintained

This is her second time at this park. We came back because we thought it was such a beautiful place. Sites are grassy with flowers And sprinklers. Sites are all level with gravel. There are picnic tables. Reasonable and discounts accepted. Not far off of the highway.

Beautiful park

This was an amazing stay would love to go back

Beautiful family campground

I have stayed here twice and loved it both times. The first time I went as a family the second alone and took in the views of the beautiful trails they had to offer. Everyone is friendly and they offer a clean shower house. Families here hang outside and interact with each other. Would definitely go back

Nice site markers

A bit crowded but very family friendly. Lit site markers made it easy to find your site. Not great site vehicle parking. We went on a holiday weekend with lots of events planned. Family hayride was fun. Kids enjoyed riding bikes and using the game room. Pool was clean and in a central location. Quick easy walk on a path to store and small restaurant.

Well maintained

We had a riverfront site, enjoyed our stay

Family friendly

Was a very nice campground lots of activity for the families, level lots great store overall a nice place to stay

People are nice

Wooded lots can be tight, lot you reserve isn’t always what you get when you reserve a spot, they will change it and surprise when you get there, not always a good thing

Lovely lake

Great place to spend time on the lake

Wilderness camping in a new national monument

It was tricky to find any information on this campsite and then the loop road didn't open until just before I left the Millinocket area. It has been a very wet spring after a heavy winter, so there were lots of delays and it didn't' open until after Memorial Day, so I didn't get to stay here, but I did get to visit!

Because the Katahdin Woods and Waters (KWW) National Monument is so new, information and services are limited. Sometime this summer they are supposed to erect signs to the park; until them you're dependent on small signs and trusting you haven't missed a turn.

On to the campsite…it's first come, first served, at the beginning of the gravel loop road in the southern section of KWW. There are picnic tables, vault toilet, fire ring, and a tent pad. To light a fire, you will need a fire permit. Per their website, "A free permit is easily acquired prior to a visit by calling the Northern Regional Office of the Maine Fire Service at 207 435-7963 or visiting them at 45 Radar Street in Ashland, Maine." It's bear country, so plan appropriately. There's a spot with easy access to the pond/stream for launching a kayak (I"m not sure how deep it is, esp mid-summer) or wildlife watching (moose, bear, birds).

The 17-mile loop road features overlooks that include views of Mt. Katahdin, trails to peaks and waterfalls, and multi-use trails for bicycles, horses. There's an information board here as well.

You'll want to pick up any necessary items and fuel in Millinocket before you head into the Monument. Don't count on cell service. Be prepared to change a flat tire.

To get information about KWW, you MAY be able to visit the visitor's center in Millinocket (it was only open 1-4pm on Thursday; it has longer hours during the summer), but I found the best source was a Friends of KWW booklet that I picked up at a Maine Visitor's Center that included a map centerfold. There's a map here, too: Katahdin Woods and Waters Map

Nice state park

Stopped for a one night visit. Huge site (most are big). Good space between neighbors. Bathroom/showers are free and spotless. I didn’t have time to hike but there are lots of options. Very quiet, although I was one of two camping parties in the place. Close to town. Very relaxing. Take your own wood. $5 gets you a puny ‘bundle’. Mine was wet.

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Compact Camp Table at Wilderness Edge Campground

Campground Review

I headed to the Millinocket area because I wanted to explore the new Katahdin Woods & Waters (KWW)National Monument, Baxter SP, ponds and byways. Staying at Wilderness Edge proved to be an ideal location with full amenities. It’s convenient to each of these areas without requiring an extensive drive to any of them. My visit was very early in the season ( late May/early June) and the trails to peaks at Baxter state Park were still closed, so it was quiet. The sites are in two sections, with tenters up the hill in an area I did not have time to explore, and a lower section with hookups for RVs. The RV sites offer electrical and water. The location of the hookups is somewhat unusual and inconsistent. My site had the connections on the right side of my camper once I had backed it in, so I had to be careful about placement or have longer cords. It then made sense why Marcel explained that some campers like to park parallel to the camp road to create some privacy,

My site (6) was large and level, backing up to the woods and with trees between the sites providing some privacy. There were no sites directly opposite mine as the loop road turned and went up a hill. The very clean bathrooms are up the hill, providing free hot showers and also a dishwashing sink.

There’s a small camp store with a selection of necessities, just in case you need a map or forgot a backpack, etc. They’ll deliver firewood to your site. There was wi-fi available, strongest near the bathroom, but I had more than adequate cell phone coverage (Verizon) at my site, that I did not need to use the wifi. There’s a pool and a play area near the entrance.

This is not a campground packed with seasonal sites; they only have 2 seasonal campers. Instead, the campground fills with families, singles, couples, looking for a quiet camp setting with amenities. The amenities do come at a price, costing more than other campgrounds, but also providing more.

If you want to explore, the Discover Katahdin app is great for identifying hikes or paddles, etc. so be sure to install it to help with your planning. It’s also worth stopping by the Moose Prints Gallery in Millinocket. Anita provided some excellent suggestions for wildlife watching and paddling. If you’d like a guide, Marcel is happy to offer small tours.

In town there are a variety of shops, including groceries, dollar stores, and hardware.

Product Review: GCI Outdoors Compact Camp Table 20

As a ranger with The Dyrt I sometimes get to test and review camping equipment. On this trip, I was able to review the GCI Outdoors Compact Camp Table 20 (it also comes in a larger, 25” size). This is a great little table with telescoping legs (love the squeeze mechanism to get them to collapse), giving you two height options while occupying very small space in your vehicle while traveling. You may find yourself using it for more than just camping (I saw one in a picture of a recent tailgate party). It’s aluminum top allows you to place a hot pot on it. It can handle a substantial weight and doesn’t feel wiggly. It’s great for dinner by the campfire!

Small and wonderful

Lovely little campground with campsites, lean tos, and cabins right on the river and near Baxter State Park. My wife and I winter camped here in a lean to in sub zero temperatures two years in a row, and while the owners thought we were nuts for not opting for a cabin they couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating.

Beautiful and excellent facilities for the the camper who truly loves to ca

This is a beautiful spot. It has excellent canoeing and hiking. The facilities are well maintained and this is camping the way it’s supposed to be.

close to Katahdin trails

really close to Katahdin trails, reasonable price, great views

Isolated Beautiful Campground

We arrived at a group site on the campground and where blown away by the beauty. the grounds are in wife open grasslands on the edge of a forest and ringed by mountains. The campground has canoes available to rent for $1 hr with access to a huge lake via half a mile of various streams. I highly recommend this site just remember to lock up or string up your food. My friend left a bag of chips on the table at night, when we woke up the chips where eaten and a raccoon left us a "present" on the table.

Starting point for a Katadhin adventure

There are drive up tent sites and lean to sites as well as walk in sites (fairly short walk and easy to locate). Great place to start for an adventure to summit katadhin and tackle knifes edge. I will definitely be back. Hiked past chimney pond (another campsite) with great views of the mountain. That site is hike in only whereas roaring brook has parking.

quiet,spacious,access to best parts of park!

leantos are the way to go,august no bugs.my daughter (now 11 yrs old) have been going there for 8 years-very kid friendly.traveller loop much more intense than baxter peak-more above tree line travel. we go there during the perseid meteor shower peak,make some hot chocolate,go out in the canoe,drift around watching the shooting stars-doesn’t get much better….

Perfect for Families

boating, swimming, hiking, surrounded by beauty. the park ranger we had was amazing. my daughter did not want to leave!

nice place

great pond with easy access, nice for day rental of canoe. lean-tos right on water

quiet camping

nice quiet campground in north Baxter State Park.

Serene and peaceful

Stayed here before we hike Katahdin. So quiet and relaxing. Nice wooded sites, with good privacy. Clean.

Camping in the County!

We love to camp in State Parks, and the North East has plenty of them to try. For many years, I have looked at a spot on my Maine map called Aroostook State Park, way up north near the great city of Presque Isle. On the spur of the moment, our well travelled group decided to spend the weekend camping in Aroostook County and the great Maine woods!

Great base camp for climbing Katahdin

We booked a night at a lean-to in Roaring Brook Campground so after we climbed Katahdin we wouldn't have to drive home. The hike took all day, but at the end we had a great place to chill! A dip in Roaring Brook (pretty cold one, I must say) and a small campfire with a BBQ capped off a fantastic day! Early the next morning, we took a short hike to Sandy Stream pond to hunt for moose and loosen up the body. It really paid off!

true Maine

we had a group site for 11 of us. we fit all our tents and a rain shelter easily and 5 cars in the parking across the street. keep in mind there is no running water here.bring plenty or water purifying filters or tablets. there is an outhouse and it is kept clean. there are also large wooden rain shelters between the group sites. be sure to put all food away at night.

Nice camp sites

Overall the experience is awesome. Camp grounds are a decent size. Lots of trails hike.