The best TENT SITES camping near
Soldier , IOWA

Most Recent Soldier Camping Reviews
Not our preferred type of camping

We often seek out city parks for eating lunch when on the road and this is how we found this park/campground. Albert, the world’s largest bull, was constructed in 1964 as a way to draw tourists to the area. Press the button to hear him bellow and learn his history.

Albert is part of a park and campground, which is located next to a pool and water park. The campground is ok but nothing special. On a Monday afternoon in August, only two sites were occupied, and no one seemed to be around but judging by the overflowing dumpster, I’m guessing it was full over the weekend. Sites were typical of what I have come to expect in many campgrounds in Iowa – close together and no physical separation between them. Full hookup sites are $20; all others are $15. There is only one toilet and shower each for women and men; it was in reasonable shape but not the best.

Since the park is adjacent, there is a nice playground and this, along with learning about Albert’s history, might be entertaining for children. I am not sure if non-residents can access the pool/water park; although it was open, no one was there when I was there- this may have been due to Covid.

Peace & quiet

Reserved electric unit 090 for the weekend, which had a scenic corn field for a backdrop - this is Iowa! Paved roads, level gravel sites, wide & mowed trails, clean pit toilets and a layout that isn’t too cramped. The pond has multiple shoreline fishing spots with picnic tables and a cleaning station. Basic playground in front of the beach which is a short drive or a ~1 mile trail walk away.

Clean & kid friendly

Well kept & family friendly camping in Iowa! We were able to reserve an electric unit (#30) right off the lake and across the road from the large playground (~5 setups for different age groups). We could watch the kids play while getting food ready or preparing a line to throw in the water. Short walk to the very clean restrooms with flush toilets & showers. Will come back!

Nice Family Getaway

This campground was perfect for a small family reunion. We rented out their 3 cabins and had a whole area to ourselves. The kids could walk down to the sand and a bridge. Very well kept, you must clean up after yourself - which should always be the case anyway.

Surprise find in Iowa!

I stayed here on a long road trip across the country. Had no idea such a scenic place could be found in Iowa! I chose the closest walk-in spot, less than a mile in. It was great! Near a little creek if you need water, and really nicely secluded. Picnic table and fire ring included. Also, there’s a trail up a hill right near by that had great views of the area and a lovely sunset! I would definitely recommend. Just a head’s up: I saw some pics of people car camping here on this site. Not sure how that would work since it’s supposed to be walk-in only and pretty clearly roped off from access with a car.

Clean, very nice campground, kid friendly

There’s a pretty big playground near all the sites. When I went in the first weekend of October they had a little trick or treat night too! Extremely nice amenities; flush toilet and showers. Very nice for Iowa state parks.

Good for German history buffs

Small, fairly quiet campground (you will hear some road noise) but yikes, the bathrooms are closed from 9 pm- 9 am! If you are not in a self-contained RV, this could be problematic. I was not able to find anyone to ask if this was Covid related and temporary. All campsites are full hookup with 30 and 50 amp and most are shaded, although there is no physical separation between sites. There is a small playground.

Nearby is a 350-year-old authentic German Hausbarn, brought over from Germany, where you can learn about life in Germany in the 1600s. It is across the street from the beautiful Trinity Lutheran Church and there is a historical farmstead nearby.

I waffled between 2 and 3 stars but this is not our preferred type of campground. The limited bathroom hours and lack of separation between sites kept my rating at 2 stars. If these issues do not bother you and if you are a history buff, this might be a good place to camp but if not, it might be a good place to stop en-route to somewhere else (as long as you have an iron bladder!)

Nice smaller campground

Hagge Park has only 15 sites available with full hookups, but it is a great, quieter place than most. Nice shaded areas. There are some primitive sites too. It also has 1 cabin for rent at a reasonable price. There are restrooms & showers, but we have never used them, so I can't review them. We love hiking the trails there & almost always observe fisherman along the river. There aren't a ton of trails, but what the ones there are beautiful & well maintained. You can get a great workout😉 We will go back!

Higher rating but closed for now

This lake is one of the very few in Omaha that offers camping. And definitely of all types rv, and tent. But let me give you a disclaimer of why this is a 3 star. First the park is closed due to them draining it because of zebra mussels. Also I still feel weird about camping in a city, but that's my hang up. This place has always been well maintained, and offered a lot of amenities. They also offered rental boats for the lake, a really nice walking trail, and fishing. But for now we will have to wait to see what the improvements are going to be and how the lake turns out. More information to come later.

2019 floods really took a toll

The park has a lot of potential, and land. The marina and boat ramps seem to be the only things being used. The camping area doesn't really look like it's being used. There is a cool river path or trail going through the west of the park. And also a fishing area to the north of the marina. A lot of great things can happen with this place, and hopefully it will bounce back bigger and better.