About Saddle Lake Recreation Area

The Saddle Lake Recreation Area was one of four that was associated with flood control lakes built along the Middle Fork of the Anderson River. Saddle Lake once had a fully developed recreation area but now has only a primitive campground, a boat ramp for the lake and a hiking trail. This scenic, somewhat remote lake is an excellent place to get away from crowds and you will often have the place to yourself!

National Forest
Saddle Lake Recreation Area is located in Indiana
Directions
Take I-64 to IN 37 south (Exit 79), then south approximately 12-13 miles to the turn off on old Highway 37 to the Saddle Lake Recreation Area. Follow the signs to the campground and boat ramp. GPS Coordinates: Lat- 38o 3' 33.649"N, Long- 86o 39' 9.435"W
2 Reviews of Saddle Lake Recreation Area
Hoosier national

Again, spent most of my time on the water, but was nothing short of exciting! I was slightly dissapointed with some of the lack of scenery or again, maybe I missed it! Fishing was a hit!

Dark

Saddle Lake Recreation Area and Campground is located of IN37 right outside Tell City, IN in Hoosier National Forest

I thought I had already found my favorite campground in Hoosier NF when I stayed at Celina Lake but then we visited Saddle Lake. To me this campground of 13 sites down a gravel road in the woods is the model for good basic camping. Only thing missing is being able to put in to the lake directly from your campsite. At Saddle you have to continue down the road to the boat ramp.

Otherwise the sites are a little open to each other but it depends on which one you pick. There are two walk ins that are secluded ;) there is a pit toilet and each site has a picnic table and fire ring. Very dark at night and quiet, nice!

The Ranger Station is in Tell City , not open on the weekends. The sites are pay on the honor system and there is a host.

There is a parking area at the boatramp, electric motors only.

The Saddle Lake Trail Trailhead is at the boat ramp , it is a 2.2 mile hike around the lake. If you want a longer trail the Mogan Trailhead is north on IN37. Mogan is about 24 miles of intersecting trails shared with horse riders.

We enjoyed the hikes and the dogs played along the boat ramp, next visit we are bringing the kayak ;)