About Thomas Woods Campsite in Marengo Ridge
County
Thomas Woods Campsite in Marengo Ridge is located in Illinois
5 Reviews of Thomas Woods Campsite in Marengo Ridge
Ok tent camping

It was damp and buggy when we were there. The check in person was terribly disorganized and dealing with several small children. One pulled off her diaper and pooped on the floor while we were waiting to check in and pay. The spaces are smallish but ok for most tents. We put two, a four person and a two person, and it was adequate. The firewood for sale was green and wet and they fervently insisted we only use their wood. In fact a park ranger was apparently visiting the camp spot near us, well after dark, and decided to barge into our space from the bushes unannounced. It could have gotten him seriously injured. He was inspecting our firewood. I explained to him, very clearly that he was being very risky barging into a camp spots like that. He got pissy and we left the next day. Paid for 3 days and used two. We haven’t been back. Could be a nice quiet place to relax if it were operated better.

Tent Camping

This is the third time we have gone to this campground. It is close to Chicago, we can get there in 1 hour), it is clean, and has nice hiking trails. The sites are in the woods with plenty of shade.

The mosquitoes are unbelievable, it made hiking in the woods impossible, we have given it 3 tries now over a few years and the mosquitoes have gotten worse every year. There is a nice prairie trail that the mosquitoes were not as bad on. Once we had a fire going the mosquitoes were a little better but not much.

They list a fishing pond, but it is a shallow small pond with weeds, it would be hard to fish on with out getting eaten by the mosquitoes

There are no showers, no flush toilets, one of the hand pumps was infested with ants (we could not get water without ants or ant parts) which caused us to have to drive to another site to get water.

The camp ground is only open on the weekend, and normally has open sites if you just want to drive up, or you can make reservations.

Lovely quasi-rustic campground

This was a well laid out campground, with some sites right on the roads and some buried back in the woods away from everyone (we chose the latter and felt like we had the place to ourselves). There are basic toilets (hole in ground style), a spigot for water, great trails (heavy on the mosquitoes, of course), and a very responsive team of folks running the campground. They were great about stopping by the campsite when we asked for more firewood ($5 / bundle). There is a two-tent limit per campsite, and parking for two vehicles (there is overflow parking very near the site).

We didn't go over but there was a separate area for RV camping, and a group camping area you could rent out (bunk-style cabins, I believe). Would come here again.

Beautiful wooded and quiet

Great hiking trails, a pond for fishing, private camp sites.

Great wooded campsites in Thomas Woods Campground

I biked to this campground from the Woodstock Metra station. While the highway riding was occasionally a bit harrowing, it was absolutely worth it for the beautiful views and camping here.

I stayed in one of the tent camping sites with a little walk up (parking for a car available about 50 feet away). Nobody else was camping within sight of me, which was nice, though 2 other sites were visible from mine.

The camp host delivered my fire wood right to my site (which was extra helpful because no car). There were lots of bugs, but not too many bitey ones. Pit toilets and well water a short way away from my site were helpful.

Beautiful woods and prairie trails around here. Some really spectacular views to be had. Plus they now have online site reservations! I would definitely recommend camping at Thomas Woods.