The best GROUP camping near
Sparland , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Sparland Camping Reviews
Nice state park

We stopped for a night on our way through.  Had a nice quiet spot right on the river.  With the locks closed this year, the traffic on the river was way down.  It would have been fun to watch the boats but oh well.  Easy in and out right off the interstate.  Not busy at all mid week.

Great in the off season too

Bartender was perplexed when I asked to (car) camp in December but was very friendly and let me do my thing even in their off season! Sooo much cheaper than SR and actually much close to the hiking trails.

bring your hammock

If you like your hammock, or anything you can string between trees, this is the place. The campground is in a stand of tall lodgepole pines with no lower branches. This means there's little privacy, but lots of shade and trees everywhere.
 There is a nice man-made lake for canoeing/kayaking or fishing. No power boats.
 There is a row of hike-in tent site along the trail connecting the campground to the lake. At the lake, there is a General store and above that, a nice restaurant serving farm to table food and snacks.
 There is also a historic Round barn museum on the grounds. Nice trails that are pretty easy to hike.
 There is one cabin available to rent, which is quite secluded with a view of the lake. Nearby attractions are the Woodland Palace home and park, Historic Bishop Hill town and the Corner Coop Cupcakes & Ice Cream.

Great Hiking but the Campsite is Hit or Miss

We visited the first weekend in November so we still had some leave to peep. The weather was unusually warm and beautiful so we were able to hike both days of our visit but it was packed with people who had the same idea. Also, as we left the park to go to our campsite (around 2 PM) the camp was getting a rush of afternoon hikers. The place is busy!!!

The campsite itself is off the State Park premises,which isn’t bad since it’s not swarmed park attendees not spending the night. It has an electrical hookup on each campground for RVs. There is also a bathroom with running showers and toilets, pretty nice. And there is a camp store (which is currently closed for the season). The campsites themselves vary in size and fire station. Our campsite was a little small but if you want fully forested campsites I suggest you keep your choices between #s 30 and 100.

We had a blast, the state park itself was fantastic, plenty to see. Starved Rock and the other peaks were fantastic and Wildcat Canyon was a sight to behold. Illinois Canyon is huge and worth the visit. I understand that with the spring runoff there are many waterfalls to behold. We plan on coming back then. Great place to camp!!!

Beautiful Campground

If you want more trees and privacy stick to the east loop if you want more flat land that is easy to drive up and camp, go to the west loop. The Camp store is cute but tiny. There is also a vending machine by the bathhouse and a 24/7 wood vending machine by the camp store.

3 state parks are within a 5-10 minute drive making early morning hiking very easy. Welcome to the Disney Land of outdoors!

The campground itself is off of Starved Rock’s main entrance but we think it’s perfect because I don’t need that much traffic with cars and people constantly walking/driving by. I do wish there were walking trails off the campground though.

Love the "pencil tree forest".

My family stayed on site 21 in our popup and had a great time. We LOVED the pencil tree forest. There are only a handful of campsites w electric in this circle of trees. Although these types of trees don't offer a lot of privacy I still enjoyed it. Our site was a short walk down to the lake which we used for fishing. There is a water pump and latrine in the circle. We did not go in the shower house so can't attest to the cleanliness.

Great campground

Awesome campground. Good fishing for the kids. Lots of activities but alot of things were shut down due to covid. I believe the price should be adjusted if all amenities aren't available. Very expensive.

Perfect Camp Site

This place has beautiful views of illinois river. Nice sized campsites. Everything was clean and well taken care of! Not a lot of amenities, however that isn’t what camping is all about! Full hook ups at a reasonable price. Each site also has a picnic table and fire pit. The guy that runs the place is AWESOME! So nice and willing to help with anything you need. This park is close to town, so if anything is needed you are only minutes away. LOVED camping here & will definitely be back :)

True definition of camping

We went camping for the weekend and absolutely loved this place! Full hookups was a huge plus and at $44 a night a very reasonable rate for full hookups. The owner is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in your life. Friendly, caring and very down to earth. He treats you like a friend, not a customer. Camp ground was very clean. No garbage anywhere. I will say, it's not paved roads n pretty public buildings but that's not what camping is about! Nice gravel lanes with well manicured sights. Firewood for sale and picnic tables n firepits on all the sights. Headed back next weekend !!

Nice Place

This is a nice, quiet little campground. The sites up on the hill are nicely spaced out and deep. We will definitely be back. The only issue we had was the narrow road up the hill, I would hat to be half way up and meet another camper coming down.