The best TENT SITES camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Howardton Camping Reviews
Barely two spots

We attempted to camp at Teal Pond with our 30 ft camper but had trouble finding it in the dark. We came back in daylight to find it. It's easily missed. There are only two spots available. The fire rings look frequently used.

A small to medium size camper would probably fit but this site is probably best left for tents and camper vans.

Great, kid family fun

Wanting to explore some of the Shawnee Forest, we selected Giant City as it was recommended by a friend (and one of the few places that accepts reservations ahead of time!)  The campsite was good and we loved that it backed up to some woods, which our kids explored often.  The vault toilets were fine and the play ground was good.  We really enjoyed the hikes, seeing the sandstone "walls" that makes the area famous.  We found several short but gorgeous hiking trails, which was perfect for our young children.  We also had the entire loop of the campground to ourselves, as it was early spring and our spring break was an off time. We ate a great dinner at the lodge, which has beautiful panoramic views and the food was tasty too.  We liked the family style fried chicken dinner! Very prompt service, too.

Good tent camping experience

We found this little gem at a last minute camping adventure on the way home from out of town.  It was one of our first tent camping experiences.  Nothing fancy, but the pit toilet and water supply worked just fine for us and our kids.  We found some beautiful hiking and water holes.

Another great Corps of Engineers campground

Sites/Facilities: Sites are spaced well apart. Each site has a generous sized paved pad plus an additional paved space for a second vehicle. Each site has a large metal picnic table, fire grate, electric hookup, water, and lantern hook. Site 172 has no visible neighbors to the north and has a filtered water view through the trees. In my opinion, the best sites in the Pine Tree Loop are 172 and 173 plus 183-186; all of these have filtered water views.

Bathhouse: The bathrooms are VERY small and basic (no soap, no hooks) – one tiny sink and two stalls (no showers) but clean. Campers were encouraged to use the facilities in their RVs but we don’t have that option.

Activities/Amenities: There are a nice playground and a nearby beach/boat launch area, which is separate from the campground. There is also a paved bicycle path that appeared to connect the beach area to the campground, but I didn’t access it so cannot verify this.

Conclusion: We arrived late, just missing checking in(booth closed at 6 pm but check-in is not until 5 pm?) and departed by 10 am the next morning so we could not take advantage of the bike path or other potential amenities but for the price ($10 seniors), it is a very good value; the only thing keeping this from a five-star review is the TINY bathroom and I did not see a dumpster to get rid of our garbage (might have missed it). We would definitely return.

Yes to this

I am a first time vanlifer and I wandered into IL without checking the weather…. 😟😟 it snowed and I was unprepared. The Campground is run by some very friendly and kindhearted people they were happy to assist me and help me throughout my stay. The stay was inexpensive and i was able to refresh myself to continue my travels!!

Love the wildlife

Beautiful and spacious camp sights in a quiet environment. We have had deer playing on an adjacent site to us. Fun place to camp with family and friends. Never want to leave.

Beautiful secluded spot. Careful if wet.

Beautiful location. Definitely off the beaten path. There was another group of campers but they camped on the trail. Grave Road getting there was a bit rough for my Ram Promaster. Hill down to trail head could get slick if wet weather. Was alittle nervous getting out after it had rained. But luckily it wasn't to much rain. Definitely coming back when warmer.

Out of state trip without the out-of-state travel!

Hawn State Park is a park like no other. Nowhere else in the state of Missouri have I been able to camp and feel like I'm in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.  The car camping area is nestled in the middle of a pine filled valley.  There's nothing more refreshing than sitting in the evening and hearing the wind whistle through the pines.  The trails are amazing with big boulders and beautiful creeks.  If you're car camping take the extra walk to the walk-in camping sites. It's like a micro backpacking trip. And if you like backpacking, Hawn state park is the place to do it!

Nice little campground

Nice little primitive campground with about 8 small spots. Has a nice sized lake good fishing if you are using a boat, or kayak. Spots have a table and a fire pit. Vault toilets, and a pavilion on site.

Nice quite little spot.

This is a perfect spot for a pass though. 3 back in spots with fire pits and tables. Road coming into the camp ground can get a little rough depending on season, but it’s gravel. Spots are perfect for smaller rigs. Sites are only a few miles from our house, we use it to test out new gear (hammocks)

General Watkins has a good amount of ponds (great fishing) and has a few good walking/ small hiking trails.

This campground will always be packed for Missouri firearm deer season. Mid November. But normally has open spots rest of the time.