About Riverside (Id - Targhee)

Riverside Campground is on the banks of the Henry's Fork of the Snake River, just 15 miles north of Ashton, Idaho. Beautiful Island Park is nearby, where visitors enjoy boating, fishing and exploring local trails.

Please click here for further information about the facility and recreation opportunities in the area.

Recreation

Henry's Fork has great fly-fishing for rainbow and brook trout. Tubing, canoeing, kayaking and rafting are also popular activities on the river.

Facilities

The campground offers one group site that can accommodate up to 40 people. Several single family sites are also available, each equipped with a picnic table, campfire ring and grill.

Vault toilets, drinking water and trash collection are provided but there is no electricity. Firewood is available for purchase from the host. Gas and groceries are 8 miles away.

Natural Features

The campground is situated along the Henry's Fork at an elevation of 6,200 feet. Lodgepole pines provide partial shade and aspens dot the landscape. Summer wildflowers are abundant. A variety of wildlife, including moose and deer, is frequently spotted throughout the area.

Nearby Attractions

Island Park has outdoor activities for visitors of all ages. Hundreds of miles of hiking, biking, horseback riding and ATV trails crisscross the area. Island Park Reservoir and Henry's Lake are nearby, with boat ramps, fish cleaning stations, boating, water skiing and fishing.

Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks are close enough for a day trip. Both parks offer hiking and fishing in breathtaking natural settings.

ADA Access: N

Price
$15.00 - $50.00
National Forest
Riverside (Id - Targhee) is located in Idaho
Directions
From Ashton, Idaho, travel north on Highway 20 for 15 miles, take Riverside Campground turnoff, travel 1 mile to the campground entrance.
4 Reviews of Riverside (Id - Targhee)
Ranger Review: Banner & Oak: Vista - Hunter Green Trucker Hat at Riverside

Each year, thousands of fly fishermen ascend into Harriman State Park and nearby town of Island Park, ID to fish the famous Henry’s Fork of the Snake River. As we planned our Yellowstone vacation, we decided to spend a few days fly fishing and camped at Riverside (Id- Targhee).

Campground Review: Just around 15 miles north of Ashton, ID, and a few miles to Harriman State Park on US Hwy 20, the entrance of Riverside campground is clearly marked. The area was formed by a large caldera and sits about 6300 feet above sea level. Riverside campground is about a mile down a dirt road and sits right on Henry’s Fork. Roughly 30 camping spots and 1 group site. The sites were well laid out and plenty of space and privacy from each site. Surrounded by thick lodge pole pines, we didn’t hear much road traffic. Our site was less than 25 yards from the river, and we had great access with a handful trails leading to several areas of the river. There are a few bear boxes to share with other sites around the campground and several super clean restrooms. Probably the cleanest I’ve used. We didn’t spend a lot of time at the site during the day due to our main objection was to slay trout, but at night after a great day of fishing, we were able to relax and have a good night camping under the stars. The campsite’s fire ring was awesome. Cement ring with a moveable metal grate with a heavy duty cast iron pole with arms to hang your dutch oven over the fire. We have a rooftop tent but the campgrounds have some nicely laid out tent boxes to park your tent. We did see some sites with concrete flooring around the picnic areas. Overall, very well laid out campground with some good sites to enjoy the great outdoors. We camped at A012. We really had to go out of our way at our site to see our neighbors so tons of privacy. We had a big open sky to stargaze at night. Best of all: No mosquitos. We camped in the middle of August. My boy and I camped at a different campground in Island Park in June, and there was so much standing water that it bred armies of mosquitos. Not this trip. We also had good cell phone reception at this campground. The only bad thing I could come up with is that there was only trash dumpster near the front entrance so ridding your garbage took a little work. There is a boat launch so if you have a drift boat, you can do it right there. Island Park is about 8-10 minute drive if you need some supplies or gas.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger, I get to test products! At this campground, I tested The Vista in hunter green trucker hat from Banner & Oak. As an outdoor enthusiast, I wear a lot of trucker hats and Banner & Oak really stood out from other hats I’ve worn. Stiff, thick material with a mesh backing and secure adjustment to keep my head airy. I really enjoyed wearing it and has quickly become my favorite hat. I really love the color and the high quality patch. If you’re not a fan of deeper hats, I recommend you do not get this hat. It fit my big noggin perfectly. Check out their products at the this link: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats

Very impressed with campground

Came in just at dusk looking for somewhere to sleep for the night on our drive and was super impressed. The camp host for fourth of July weekend was so very nice and the bathrooms are super clean. Some camp sites were more developed than others but all had the basic amenities. We camped on c loop and could hear the river all night long. Very reasonably priced and nice sized sites.

Great National Forest Campground

Very Nice Campground in the Targhee National Forest in the Island Park area. Riverside with fishing access. Dry camping with dump station near by. Picnic tables and fire rings

Great location in Island Park

This campground is located in the heart of Island Park. Close to a few general stores if you are in need of supplies. Also close to Harriman State Park with plenty of hiking and some of the best birding in Eastern Idaho. Campsite 21A is particularly nice along the river. Campground is only open during the summer months. Wooded sites with plenty of access to the river for fishing or wading.