The best TENT SITES camping near
Kukuihaele , HAWAII

Most Recent Kukuihaele Camping Reviews
Upland forest beauty

Awesome hiking/running trails, many native plant species difficult to find elsewhere. Pavilions and cabins for rent. check the county website for availability.

There is no camping here.

Nice family beach park, but there is no camping.

Solid campground

Solid drive in campground with toilets and beautiful ocean views. Mostly car campers at this one. The grounds were clean but very exposed to sight and the elements. Highly recommend stay here if you're planning on taking a trip to Hana. It's a perfect place to rest your feet after being in the car for multiple hours before returning to the other side - a single day trip is doable but probably exhausting. Actually the Pipiwai Trail hike is a must do on the Hana side- cannot go wrong with bamboo forests and a good waterfall.

Note: that a National Park pass ($30) here is good for 3 days of camping including sites at Haleakala.

Stunning

This place is amazing. You wake up right on the beach and get to watch surfers in the morning. I would recommend booking a spot well in advance. Very clean facilities is a huge plus. The one negative is gates close at 9pm.

Camp with a ocean view

Loved the location fantastic but we did get hit with atoms each night.

Pretty nice campground in Haleakala state park

This campground was the largest by far we saw on Maui - it was a large grassy area down a road past the visitor's center for Kipahulu. The area is for both tent and car camping, and there's no separate parking lot for tent campers since it is a bit of a walk from the visitor's parking lot. There's no running water, but two small buildings with pit toilets inside and hand sanitizer. There's also a group area that I believe needs to be reserved ahead of time and is at the back of the main camping area, as well as a trail off the campground that leads to shady tent camping spots (you definitely couldn't get a car in there) under large trees. We liked the campground a lot, especially how grassy it was (rather than dirt, like at Olowalu) but unfortunately we stayed on a Friday and Saturday night - and boy did the other people there like to party. We spent the first night stuck next to a HUGE party that didn't quiet down til late at night. Even after moving our van to a spot farther away from them, we realized that there were quite a number of groups partying til late at the site. I bet this wouldn't be the same case on a weekday night, but it's good to know that this campground is popular with the locals/residents on Maui and from other islands - probably because it's so cheap and accessible ($25 for 3 nights, which is essentially your entrance fee to get into the 7 sacred pools and hike the Pipiwai Trail).

As for Kipahulu itself, it's a beautiful place. we swam in the 7 sacred pools (which get pretty crowded in the afternoon from day tourists) and hiked the Pipiwai Trail. We LOVED Pipiwai - it's a bit grueling, and is 4 miles there and back, but the 100 foot waterfall at the end of it is incredible and a must-see. For the price, Kipahulu is a great place to camp at, and to make the most of your money, I'd suggest spending a night or two here and then heading to Hosmer Grove on your way to the summit. Note that there's no running water here, so come prepared with water jugs. While there's running water in the bathrooms at the service center, as well as a water fountain to fill up your water bottle there, there's no faucet or anything that you could use to fill up a big water jug. One of the major downsides to the site, in addition to the noise.

Beautiful open dispersed campground along the coast

Kipahulu Campground is part of the coastal district of Haleakala National Park and although there is a fee to enter the park, camping is free and on a first come first serve basis. Camp sites are located all along the lollipop of the road that leads into the campground as well as some more spots along the shore. Road to get to the campsite runs along the right of the overflow parking lot of the park. Filtered water and nice public bathrooms are available at the visitor center, however there is no shower at the park. Make sure to get all necessary food items in Hana as this is the last big town on the Hana Highway before the park.

The campground has great spots for whatever you are looking for in your camping trip. The options include open areas to set up next for other people for large groups or along the shore under your own personal hala tree for seclusion and serenity. We were able to grab a spot under a hala tree our second night that was just a walk away from the shore and was so peaceful, and perfect to set up some hammocks. If you hope to get a site along the shore I recommend you arrive to the park early. And if you hope to explore the gems of this district such as the Pipiwai trail, bamboo forest, and seven sacred pools - get up early and do them before the tons of tourists arrive for the day.

It’s pretty good

it’s nice during the summer cause it’s not too hot and there are may “pools” around you that you might be able to swim in. If you look up 7 sacred pools you might be able to find them. I wouldn’t recommend going on a holiday because there might not be spots left. and once you’ve gone many times you will know what spot is best for you.

stardust renewal

id love to talk about it, but now im still wondering why im not there, its quite obviously, this image of the stars and something like a spirit of the time telling me to stay, its the sensacion of being always taking care of somethins greater than me and although being this beeing taking about by myself when im out of mind

Enjoyed our time

My husband and I really enjoyed coming to the Mahukona Beach Park. Although the waters here are a little rough, we found a great spot that the water was pretty calm and we were able to do some snorkeling and body boarding. We got some great shots of underwater life. This beach park has quite a few picnic tables around, so we were able to snag one and have a picnic. We packed some lunch, ate and people watched. The weather was great, a little humid, but not too bad. The park itself was clean, and the time we went it wasnt busy. We always go to Hawaii in December, and some parts of the Island are super busy but others are not. I could see this park being super busy during the summer. There is a boardwalk along the beach, we saw people running, walking, and skateboarding along this pathway. My husband and I walked this pathway during the evening and found a good snow cone stand. Not sure how this park is for camping? We did see some homeless people along the beach who looked like they were camping. I think I would be a little nervous to camp here, but thats just my opinion. Definitely recommend coming for the day and relaxing, though.