Add Review
About Sawnee

Sawnee Campground lies just north of the Buford Dam on Lake Sidney Lanier. The campground features beautiful views of the lake as well as excellent access to boating and swimming. The lake, named for the poet, Sidney Lanier, is well known for its aqua-blue colored water, spectacular scenery and variety of recreational activities. Each year, over 11 million people come to visit.

Recreation

Sawnee Campground offers many outdoor recreation opportunities including fishing and swimming. On the lake there are opportunities for wake boarding, kayaking, boating and much more. There's also a swimming beach, playground and boat ramp available for campers.

Facilities

Sawnee Campground offers 43 campsites with electric and water hookups (no sewer), 5 tent walk-in campsites with water and electric hookups, and 11 walk-in campsites without hookups. Additional amenities include restrooms/bathouses, laundry facilities, a playground and sandy swimming beach.

Natural Features

Lake Lanier boasts 38,000 surface water acres, 690 miles of shoreline and over 100 small islands. Its location in the forested foothills of the Georgia Blue Ridge Mountains, makes for a beautiful backdrop to any activity. The reservior was created in 1956 with the completion of Buford Dam on the Chattahoochee River.

Nearby Attractions

Take in views of the dam at the nearby Westbank Overlook, or head northwest of the campground for scenic drives and wildlife spotting opportunities at the Sawnee Mountain Preserve. The city of Cumming is nearby and has shopping, restuarants, a fairground and much more.

Charges & Cancellations

Cancellations must be made via the online/phone reservation system or in person at the gatehouse. Cancellation calls to the gatehouse will not be honored.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Fee Info
Only Credit/Debit Card payments are accepted at the gatehouse. No Cash or Checks.
US Army Corps of Engineers
Sawnee is located in Georgia
Directions
Take US 400 north exit 14, turn right on Highway 20 east, turn left onto Sanders Rd, at first stop sign turn right on Buford Dam Rd. Campground is on the left.
3 Reviews of Sawnee
Pretty, but...

Trip taken in March 2018. Not much I can say about this park. We went for one night, arrived later than expected and it was cold out. Our daughter was only 1.5 years old and we had a hard time keeping her away from the rock that lead in to the lake. It was not a great site for little kids but had an amazing view and plenty of space. The bathhouse was a bit far of a walk. And they have a no alcohol rule. I was pregnant but otherwise I have a no camping sober rule. So not a great fit!

Found this place by accident! It glad we did.

So my wife and I were trying to find a place we had previously been to and stumbled upon Sawnee by accident. We are adventurous so we decided to give it a try. We were amazed at everything this park has to offer. They literally have everything you could ask for. Swimming, fishing, and camping. I think they even have boat ramps. As for us we are avid hikers so we stuck to the trails. There are a few trails that interconnect so we hike for hours(which we loved). Although we did not camp we are definitely coming back to do so. Sawnee has over flirty camp sites to include some walk-in sites. I think there is a small fee to camp but it is worth it. We went in the middle of the week when it wasn’t crowded but I could see this place filling up on a weekend. Sawnee has places to grill along with picnic tables and water stations and restrooms. For those that love nature but want a touch of home they have water and electrical hookups available. It’s also pet friendly. I definitely want to come back and spend a weekend hiking and camping and fishing.

Lots of great sites overlooking the lake

You are able to reserve your specific campsite ahead of time. Lots of great lake views. Enjoy watching the fireworks during the 4th of July.