Fires Unknown
Water Unknown
About Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Red Top Mountain

This recreation area is part of Allatoona Lake

Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Red Top Mountain is located in Georgia
9 Reviews of Georgia Department of Natural Resources - Red Top Mountain
Old and narrow campsites

This campground is not for larger campers, we pulled a 30 footer in, it was a mess, the guy next to use pulled a 37 footer in and needed 2 walkers to help get it in.

most of the roads are barely wide enough for one way thru campgrounds, but they are two way, campsites are close together, there is one dump station on existing the grounds, on the wrong side of the road(the left side). Showers are few and small.

but if your tent camping or a small 20 footer, the camp ground is ok, they had some activities going on, misc hikes, etc.

we prefer McKinney campgrounds about 4 miles from here, easier to get into, dual dump stations(on the correct side).

Lakeside camping close to Metro Atlanta!

Rolling, wooded lakeside spot on Lake Allatoona. We stayed in campsite 21 with our truck, rooftop tent, and our paddleboards. Leashes dogs allowed, so our pups joined us. Mostly quiet but for the boat traffic and a little bit of freeway noise - nothing terrible though. We had 30A hookups, so I brought my electric car too, charged it, and went back to work the next morning. Clean bathrooms and showers.

Excellent camping near metro ATL

On the fringe of the Metro Atlanta area, this campground is located on all sports Lake Allatoona. It is well maintained with large, well spaced lots, tent pads, fire rings with grill grates, clean bathroom facilities, and even a laundry room. Many lots have lake views and pull thru lots are available. Campers have access to miles of hiking trails, picnic areas, beach area, playgrounds and even miniature golf. Red Top Mountain state park holds frequent special learning activities for children through adult throughout the year. It’s a great place for a weekend getaway or a nice long relaxing vacation.

Beautiful, clean, close to home, right on the lake 9/10

I have only used tent sites at Red Top but have stayed about 5 times. Here are my thoughts.

Site 50 is on the very tip of the camp grounds with the lake on one side and a mostly dry inlet on the other, but it's clear of trees so you get the most incredibly view of the stars.

Site 49 is next door and just as good. It has a few trees to toss up you hammock (as does the next site, 48), has a little shade but still faces the lake and has an great view. Bonus there is a hook in the tree next to 49's table which is great to hang your trash or hold your water cooler.

Spotless bathrooms, super clean with no smell and they even have heat when it's colder out (Last trip I visited it was 27 degrees!). My only gripe is how close the sites are to each other, so you can hear and see everything going on with your neighbors =/

Love this park, love the lake and love that i can sprint over from work on a friday to unplug for the weekend.

Ranger Review: Tensile Flite + at Red Top Mountain, GA

Campground Review:

Red Top Mountain State Park is located in Acworth, GA. The park is located around 12,000-acre Lake Allatoona, which made it perfect for summer camping. The park has about 15 miles worth of shaded trails for hiking and mountain biking. The park also has RV, yurt, and cottage options for camping. We rented a first come first serve RV/Tent campsite during our visit, and the price was $35 for one night. The campsite was gate access and had electric/water hookups with 2 car spaces, a BBQ grill, picnic table, and a lot of trees. We had access to a public restroom, showers, and laundry. There were also primitive campsites available to rent, which were closer to the lake. Our group decided to stay at this park because we wanted to utilize the lake. The lake is beautiful; however, it was very crowded the weekend we went. The park overall has a lot of “things to do” and is family friendly, but it was given 4 stars because of how busy and crowded it was during our visit.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I had the opportunity to test the Tentsile Flite +, which is a tent and hammock fusion. I was super excited to use this product because I am a hammock camper and there are times I wish I had the option of tent camping. The design and uniqueness of Tentsile Flite + is amazing, and I would consider it more of a tent instead of a hammock, because of how flat it lays when suspended in the air.

Pros:

• Comfortable to lay in and no need for sleeping pads or cushions.
  • If you are a hammock camper, you can share this tent with another person comfortably.
  • The rainfly is clutch and depending on preference it can be attached to the tent, staked to the ground, or tied to the trees.
  • The Tensile Flite + is light and can be ideal for backpacking.
  • The tent roof is all netting which is great for having ventilation during the summer, keeping bugs out, and also good for sky gazing.

Cons:

• Setup time and the difficulty of getting the right angle and tension.
  • It was difficult finding the right trees suspend to.

Overall the Tentsile Flite + is perfect for someone who loves hammock camping, but want to enjoy some of the features tents have. I love the design and the wow factor it has on people. Also the company’s mission is very noble and how they help people in need and the environment.

Here is a video of setting up the Tensile Flite +

Saw no red.....

Only lotsa green! Red Top Mountain, GA is a short drive off I75 north of Atlanta. A beautiful, busy and relaxing area!

The campground is gate code controlled and sprawled across a tree covered, large hilly area. Depending on where you camp will determine the amount of space and privacy you will enjoy.

Primitive camping is first come, first choice after 1600( 4pm for you civilians) The choices range from lakeside to have to walk a bit, but all of them are nice.

The bathhouses are newer , clean and well maintained. There is a playground and pavilion in the gated area as well as an access trail to the park office.

The trails are wide, varied and also hilly (it is a mountain) but nothing to strenuous. There is a map at the office and the trails are pretty well marked.

Then there is the lake front recreation area. This is where the crowd comes into play. When we visited pretty much every square foot of lake front was taken up by people. The scenery was nice and Kato enjoyed the water.

Lake Alltoona is Good!

These sites were amazing. Most of the sites are right on the lake. There is an abundance of wildlife around. The water is nice and cool. The people here are so friendly and helpful. Perfect lake to boat and fish on.

Highway Noise

Its always nice to get out of the populated areas but you can still hear traffic in the distance especially in the winter months. For the price they provide a lot of area and nice amenities.

Loved it!!

I mainly loved how the sites were reservable, we reserved a spot ahead of time for the 4th of July, it was busy, but the spots were spacious enough to where we could have our own little getaway..