The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Capulin , COLORADO

Most Recent Capulin Camping Reviews
Sandy desert like

We stayed in the first pull out to the left of the road. Watch the entry off CO 150 as it is very narrow. No hookups but no fee. All was well until the wind came up suddenly and we were in a brief windstorm with sand all in our trailer.

Lots of space!

Very secluded! Even when full I imagine the spots are far enough apart. If the spots are full keep going down the road! Plenty of dispersed camping! We’ll be back! Beautiful scenery!

BLM Dispersed road

Smooth dirt road with large spots and smaller spots right off the road. Perfect for when all the other nearby campgrounds are full, but make sure you get there before sunset because it will fill up. We stayed on a busy Friday and didn't go up the road too far; it looked like it gets steeper and rocky.

Great spot

Camped here the last 2 nights and it was fantastic. For $25/night it’s a good deal. There’s not clearly marked camping areas, which is both kinda cool and a little disorienting. Some of the camping areas have small, perfectly sized covered picnic table areas which are absolutely wonderful. The campsites are nearly all along a babbling brook, stream, or river. The roads to the entrance, to the campsites, and definitely up to the lakes are best suited if not exclusively suited for trucks and 4WD vehicles. Currently there’s no restroom facilities unless you personally rent a porta-potty to be brought to your campsite. We’ll be coming back. A word for tent campers, at least during my stay the volume of RV’s virtually dominated the park.

Rollin on the River

Spots right on the river are pure bliss.  Full hookups and the sound of the Rio Grande to lull you to sleep.  How great is that?

Full hookups were great.  Owners were fantastic and friendly.

The town of South Fork is very small but you can get groceries and gas.  South Fork is on the East side of Wolf Creek Pass, which is a beautiful, steep, drive.  The best part about the area is the ample amount of fishing.  This area is an anglers dream, reservoirs in every corner of the map with the Rio Grande at your fingertips.  Fishing dreams made!

Campground spots were well positioned but a tiny bit close.  I would highly recommend any of the ones on the river, you have plenty of space to spread out between the picnic table, fire ring and grassy area by the river's edge.

Awesome!

We stayed about 10 minutes up the road after the turn off. there are plenty of places to pull off but the further up you go the more likely it is that you’ll need a 4WD. It rained a lot but the ground dried fast and the creek bed that runs along the campsites never filled up.

we rarely heard our neighbors and there was plenty of space!

So spacious!

This is the first campground I’ve found in New Mexico where I felt like I was camping in Colorado, it was so green and beautiful! The camp sites were nicely spaced, so we felt like we were primitive camping, but it was nice to have a picnic table, especially because we have a small child. Family friendly. We wish we would have brought our 4x4 vehicle because we had initially planned to camp at little blue lake, but my Subaru Impreza was not powerful enough/didn’t have high enough clearance to make it up the road that lead to the lake! We are definitely planning on camping back to check out the lakes. The only negative thing was that we found some trash at our site from the previous campers. Also, some cows woke us up early in the morning, which was cool, but also scared the shit out of us!

Pretty nice little campground.

Very small campground but sites are not right on top of each other. Being that you are at 9500 ft voice's do carry so that is one drawback. I will continue to come here as it is so very pretty!!

Unbelievable beauty

The park is HUGE and just so beautiful. 10,000 acres of aspens and ponderosa pines only one hour away from the town of Taos. All sites offer a fire pits and some come with nice picnic tables under roofs by the clear river. Only $25 a day you can get to enjoy the nature. We didn’t take our TRD pro Taco coz we thought our All wheel super handling SUV would be good enough but definitely there are some off-roading you can enjoy. Be sure to bring your truck or Jeep to enjoy more. No cell phone reception. There are no water available and porta potties were not ready yet. The lake was closed but we still had so much fun hiking and exploring the acres of wonderland. Will definitely go back there!

Quiet beauty

Rio Grande del Norte National Monument is BLM land so it is all dispersed camping. You will need to make sure you aren't on someone's property or nearby any roads. There are plenty of turn offs.

This isn't a "get away" more like a stopover spot. I stopped here on my way back North to Colorado to see the bridge over the Rio Grande and so I wasn't so high up in elevation that I would freeze.

But if you can find a quiet place it is a beautiful dispersed spot where there is civilization nearby and toilets at local businesses  and picnic areas that you can use. See map on review.

Be careful roaming at night. The drop into the river is quite deep so offroading isn't just ill advised for keeping the flora and fauna safe…but you as well.

There are picnic ares around the monument too, just not established camping spots.