the dyrt
About Standley Lake
Municipal
Standley Lake is located in Colorado
4 Reviews of Standley Lake
Oasis in the heart of the burbs!

Tranquil exotic oasis right smack in the middle of Suburban Arvada! Who would have known!?

But here I am sneaking off in the morning with a paddle board and kayak atop my car to get in a morning of lovely peaceful Zen Joy in the designated "Quiet" waters on the Northwest shores of Standley. Views of Longs Peak and the Indian Peaks can be seen to the West. I paddle with my friend and large smiles in the calm waters, heading toward Bird Island- you can hear the ruckus of Cormorants, Grebes, Heron, and others birds all marking their space. It almost feels like I am in Costa Rica or someplace exotic! I love watching them in flight with their wings expanded, coming in for a landing, sometimes awkward but always interesting. Inside the visitor center there is a large "Eagle Cam" TV with live footage of the endangered Bald eagles nesting their eaglets. Several times a day if you're patient you can view them being fed. Something to see. If you don't have a paddle craft they rent them there. You can rent a kayak, a paddle board, a canoe, or a paddle bicycle on a pontoon! Take a friend and a picnic for a lovely day on this beautiful lake right here in Arvada. Your worries fall away and you can experience the joy in nature around you. Maybe weird but true!

First time Pop Up Camping

We got site 47, which is labeled as an RV site, but it is NOT suitable for pop up campers. the site doesn’t have even a hint of a levelable spot. the rangers weren’t very helpful the first night, and we had to speak with the head ranger to get permission to setup on our friends site, #46, which is a great size and worlds more level! You can’t swim/wade in the lake unless you’re participating in water sports, so that’s a bummer. they do have canoes, paddle bikes, and paddle boards for rent though. It’s an easy site to get to, and is in the middle of the Denver suburbs.

Open field

Was pretty unimpressed with this campground. We showed up without reservations and there were many open sites but the only ones available without a reservation were in the middle of a field and shared a driveway with the site next door. So, no privacy. Wind was pretty intense since we were in the middle of the field, make sure if you have a tent it is well tied in. Most of our stakes came out despite being hammered in, we relied on luggage in the tent to keep it down.

Simple campground

This campground was very plain. The campsites were wide-open, meaning there was little privacy. The restrooms were mostly clean, but we couldn't find any showers. There are 12 first come, first serve campsites, and the rest must be reserved. We loved seeing lots of stars at night.