About Shafter

Shafter is a tranquil campground next to lush meadows containing wildflowers found early in the season. The S.P. railroad tracks go right past the campground, occasionally campers can enjoy the trains as they go by. Butte Creek is regularly stocked with rainbow and brown trout and offers good fishing early in the season.

National Forest
Shafter is located in California
Directions
From I-5 in Weed, CA travel northwest on US Hwy 97 approx 28 miles to Tennant Road. Turn east on Tennant Road approx 5 miles to Old State Hwy. Turn onto Old State Hwy and continue past the town of Bray for a total of 8 miles to the campground. Or, from Hwy 97 at Macdoel go south on Old State Hwy approx 9 miles to the campground.
2 Reviews of Shafter
Cute little campground

I’ve stayed here a couple times, each time there has only be one or two other campers. Outhouses are kept very clean. We even had a forest service person stop by and provide us with a bucket to put out our campfire. The campground sits on the outside of an open meadow with a creek that runs through. We fished the creek, but was unsuccessful. In late spring you can appreciate the wild irises that bloom. There is a train track that runs though twice a day on the others side of the meadow, but it’s just a low rumble. There are some great places the to check out not far from the campground if you want to explore.

Nice remote site, train noise is minimal

Off season visit, Sept 13: After a long bike ride through the National Forest, I arrived after dark. The campground was empty when I arrived, but one truck pulled in just after me, which was a little freaky. Another truck pulled in a few minutes later, and they both headed to the other side of the campground, and everything was fine.

There seemed to be two sizes of camp sites, but it wasn't clear in the dark how they differed. I may have ended up in the double, but I only paid for a single, $15, I think. The vault toilets were decent, the water from the spigot was good. There weren't any bear boxes, but the trash was a bearproof unit.

The trains could be heard much of the night, but they were far enough away to be a low rumbling rather than a heart-stopping clatter. Occasionally they would blow their horns, but it didn't seem like they did every time. Much quieter than the previous night at McArthur-Burney at a site next to the highway. I would choose Shafter for noise every time.