Water Unknown
About Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Area
Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Area is located in California
9 Reviews of Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Area
Very fun for toys

We have been here a few times, going out on your toys is a lot of fun. We always go with a big group as do most people. It does get very crowded and loud but with all the off road vehicles you have to expect that. There are no showers or water. It does get very hot bring plenty of water.

Beautiful space, very clean.

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was a lot of fun! We were a large group so we made a circle of us so the young kids could play inside the group. We had an awesome time riding the hills! If you are unfamiliar with Ocotillo Wells it is total boon-docking.

Desert Delight

This is a great open camping area, you can camp near others or find a secluded spot of your own. There are fire rings, picnic tables, toilets and even showers. The days can get pretty warm but the evenings are beautiful and star filled! If you are not into 4 wheeling there are nice hiking trails in the area. Bring plenty of water and food (there is a store but things are pricey).

Good for OHV camping not desirable

Sand, sand, sand and more sand. It’s the desert so you expect the sand but that’s reLly all there is. If you like off-roading it’s huge but you have to make sure you have a flag so others can see you coming over the dunes.

ohv camping

Sandrails, dirt bikes, quads, jeeps- Oh My! I’ve mostly rv camped here during the annual Jeep event in March/ April. we get there early to get a prime uncrowded spot for our caravan. obv no rv hookups and no shade as it’s the desert. Fwd isn’t required, I made it with my 4cyl Toyota RAV4. midweek is pretty empty. holiday weekend fill up fast and get get very loud. beautiful sunrises and sunsets 🌅 lots of canyons and washes to enjoy ohv

Ahh, Showers.

I stayed here for a few days on my way to San Diego. I was SO relieved to finally use a real shower while on the road. They are available for a few quarters. Its beautiful and has lots of geological sites! It gets very crowded and NOISEY on weekends. They hand out trash bags and maps but somehow trash still ends up around all the campsites. The rangers are super kind and helpful! The roads are deep sand so it helps to have a vehicle that can handle it. I think it was pretty perfect during the week. Weekends are for drunk people on 4 wheelers.

Home away from home

I've been camping here for 35 years.

Great place to camp and offroad. Maps are easy to get and trails are well posted. Avoid big weekends and pack 3 times the amount of water that you think you would need.

Great riding!

Some really great riding! Huge jumps, long sand washes, technical single track. Desert camping at it's finest. I believe there are bike restrictions so check with BLM to make sure it's red sticker season. Can get very crowded on holiday weekends but overall great place to ride and or see some people go big!

Camping in the DIRT

it can be very HOT, no matter what time of year so make sure you bring your shade. But there are plenty of hidden gems out here whether it is the wind caves, oasis, of canyons to explore. Do your research before you head out there so you know what you want to see. Great area though to bring anyone and everyone to enjoy the night sky and see some desert beauty.

We spent two nights there and just had good ol'e fashion camping fun. Games, camp fire, etc.