Standard (Tent/RV)
No Water Hookups
Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Area is located in California
13 Reviews of Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Area
One of the best places

I’ve always loved going to Ocotillo because of the views and the people great for kids and big enough to be by yourself.

So much fun

We had a blast here!! We only drove through this spot but we stayed here for a good couple hours playing in the sand!

Boondocking

Great place to go get off grid if you don’t mind off road vehicles. Plenty of open space to get away from the crowds.

A desert dream come true

I stumbled upon this area by chance, after weathering the craziness of San Diego. Make sure you don't pull over too often in the dark, trying to fin the place or the Border Patrol might ask funny questions :D.
You can pull over any place you want and find your dream spot.

Stars, Desert foxes, quiet.

Toilets provided and if you want to go for a 8 mile trip make sure it hasn't rained the days before and you have a 4 wheel drive. The dirt road can be quite tricky, but the views are well worth it.

Very fun for toys

We have been here a few times, going out on your toys is a lot of fun. We always go with a big group as do most people. It does get very crowded and loud but with all the off road vehicles you have to expect that. There are no showers or water. It does get very hot bring plenty of water.

Beautiful space, very clean.

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was a lot of fun! We were a large group so we made a circle of us so the young kids could play inside the group. We had an awesome time riding the hills! If you are unfamiliar with Ocotillo Wells it is total boon-docking.

Desert Delight

This is a great open camping area, you can camp near others or find a secluded spot of your own. There are fire rings, picnic tables, toilets and even showers. The days can get pretty warm but the evenings are beautiful and star filled! If you are not into 4 wheeling there are nice hiking trails in the area. Bring plenty of water and food (there is a store but things are pricey).

Good for OHV camping not desirable

Sand, sand, sand and more sand. It’s the desert so you expect the sand but that’s reLly all there is. If you like off-roading it’s huge but you have to make sure you have a flag so others can see you coming over the dunes.

ohv camping

Sandrails, dirt bikes, quads, jeeps- Oh My! I’ve mostly rv camped here during the annual Jeep event in March/ April. we get there early to get a prime uncrowded spot for our caravan. obv no rv hookups and no shade as it’s the desert. Fwd isn’t required, I made it with my 4cyl Toyota RAV4. midweek is pretty empty. holiday weekend fill up fast and get get very loud. beautiful sunrises and sunsets 🌅 lots of canyons and washes to enjoy ohv

Ahh, Showers.

I stayed here for a few days on my way to San Diego. I was SO relieved to finally use a real shower while on the road. They are available for a few quarters. Its beautiful and has lots of geological sites! It gets very crowded and NOISEY on weekends. They hand out trash bags and maps but somehow trash still ends up around all the campsites. The rangers are super kind and helpful! The roads are deep sand so it helps to have a vehicle that can handle it. I think it was pretty perfect during the week. Weekends are for drunk people on 4 wheelers.

Year 2021 Flag