About Headquarters - Salton Sea State Rec Area
$20.00
Headquarters - Salton Sea State Rec Area is located in California
3 Reviews of Headquarters - Salton Sea State Rec Area
Quiet retreat

The weather was perfect, the stars were amazing and the place was empty! Seriously, I think we were one of five campers on a Friday night. Cute little visitor center. There’s a kayak rental, but we weren’t that brave!

Primitative

Every time I have been here it has been pretty empty and quiet without a ton of people around. It is close enough to town that if you forgot anything you could drive in and grab it but it is far enough away that you can enjoy quiet. The sites are extremely close to the water and have all the basics that you would need. There are fire rings and bathrooms for visitors to use that are kept pretty clean. There is however limited shade and it can get quite hot in the summer so I would keep that in mind when visiting the Salton Sea!

Beautiful Campground On the Sea, Never Crowded

We come camping here every year and I love it! We're always able to get a spot, even in the busy season. It's busier than it used to be (used to be a ghost town), last time we were here, a lot of the spots were filled, but people are never obnoxious and I would never call this place crowded. The primitive sites are a 3 min walk to the beach. The hook-up sites are basically right on the Salton Sea Beach. There is a cute little Visitor's Center, as well as a cactus garden, and beach access for fishing and GORGEOUS SUNSET viewing. This is the favorite part of visiting. I believe it's $30/night for a primitive spot. Bathrooms are SUPER CLEAN and they have showers.