Equestrian
Hike In
Cooper Lake-South Sulphur Unit is located in Texas
12 Reviews of Cooper Lake-South Sulphur Unit
Oak Grove Camping

We camped at Oak grove 97 campsite and cannot stress on how beautiful it is to be right by the lake!

You want to get make sure to get there before the sunset, it’s beautiful to see the orange layer over the water. Nothing better than kayaking/paddle boarding or tubing into the sunset.

You can also setup a hammock and you will need extenders.

Something I’d keep in mind is the food you carry (avoid the sweet sugary stuff), there are ants all around and food will attract them towards you.

I definitely recommend this spot to camp.

Nice clean park not to far from Dallas..

We really enjoyed the park it is pretty wide and spread out on lake cooper. We stayed in the Brightstar area of the park and had a great time. The bathrooms were very clean and in good working order. Was a great getaway not to far outside of Dallas TX. We will come back for sure. Has a beach area for swimming in warmer weather and a dock and boat ramp if you take your boat.

Shaded lakeside camping in Deer Haven

The South Sulphur campground is about half an hour north of Interstate 30. It’s under a 2 hour drive from the DFW area so, I find it’s a nice weekend getaway. I camped here on a Sunday to Monday and it was very quiet. I was one of only 5 campers in the Deer Haven section (aside from the 3 camp hosts). I’m giving the park 5 stars but this is based on my experience of having camped here when there were few campers around. I image this place could be loud and busy on a weekend.

There are many shaded lakeside sites in the Deer Haven section. I stayed at site 68. The site was on a cul de sac so there was no campground to the one side. However, the site located on the other side was close. This would be a great spot for 2 camping families to share. The concrete pad at site 68 was level and shaded by a beautiful, mature oak tree. I could walk from the pad to the lake. It would be a great site to put out a kayak, but unfortunately the weather didn’t cooperate on my stay. So I didn’t get to kayak. I did see deer who ventured in from the wooded area next to the campsite.  Deer Haven lived up to its name!

Electric and water hookups were good as were the restroom/shower facilities, which seemed climate controlled because it felt cooler and less humid inside than outside. This usually isn’t the case in these buildings.

A big storm blew in around dinner time. The wind was fierce and blowing out of the north across the almost 20,000 acre lake! I actually called the ranger to find out if I needed to evacuate. The ranger was very responsive and reassuring. Luckily, there were no tornados warnings, so I weathered out the storm and woke to a beautiful crisp morning.

This park is huge and there is much to do. Cabins, shelters, primitive walk in sites, equine sites, a beach, several boat ramps, hiking trails, playgrounds and a fishing pier. I didn’t get to see a fraction of it, but I’ll be returning.

I stopped in the town of Sulphur Springs on my way back to DFW. The town has a nice historic town square and makes for an interesting side stop.

Nice South East Texas Park!

Quite,shaded, level concrete RV sites with water and electricity! Each site has a covered table. Nice swim beach, boat ramp. Great hiking trails! This park is great for kayaking & fishing! If you stay here , you should drive in downtown Sulphur Spring’s , lots of restaurants and they have 2 public bathrooms in the square that are made with 2way mirrors! So when you are in the bathroom you can see out, but everyone walking by can’t see you! Kinda creepy and cool!

One of the best campsites we’ve been to

Clean bathrooms, good playground and beach area. Cabins, RV, equestrian and tent sites.

Gorgeous Park!

Can’t wait to go again!

Really nice park, but

Very nice park with some great RV spots. If hiking, beware the Coyote Run Trail. A lot of toxic fracking going in in the area.

Plain

The park was ok but not a whole lot to explore. The park had search dog training I assume while I was there. Heard barking dogs all night.

Nice Lake

The campground was nice but not many trails near our campsite.

Great Campground for fishing, foliage and family

We “camp” here in the cabins almost every year for our annual family camping trip of almost 20 people. The cabins are always clean and tidy. They have spacious bathrooms, an open living/dining area, a small kitchen and bedroom. most also have a nice back porch with picnic table. Cooper Lake is also very close to downtown Sulpher Springs which offers a great day trip! We may have 20 people but we never feel overcrowded here at Cooper (in the campground or in the cabins all together!) We go every year and I hope you start to too!