The best TENT SITES camping near
Smock , PENNSYLVANIA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Smock Camping Reviews
Fall Camping in North Central West Virginia

The McCollum Campground at Coopers Rock State Forest is a great place to stay. The sites are nicely spaced apart, the camp staff is helpful, and the showers are very clean. The camp Wi-Fi isn't the best but we did have cell service with Consumer Cellular (AT&T Towers) and were able to work while we camped. The campground is only a short drive to the scenic overlook but if you're feeling adventurous you can take a hike. There is a playground for the kids and plenty of room for them to play. My only complaint is the firewood available to purchase. It's a small bundle for the price.

I would go back

I would go back. Our site was secluded and protected from other sites. We were very close to the state park and all activities there.

An Oasis off the Interstate

A very nice campground that I'll go back to if I'm ever in the area. I could get around with my huge fifth wheel but it was still very thickly treed the way I like them. I couldn't get my trailer level on the site so that was a problem but one that a smaller trailer might not have. Lots of noise off the PA Turnpike but what do you expect when it's right off the interstate. This is a great waystation.

An Oasis off the Interstate

A very nice campground that I'll go back to if I'm ever in the area. I could get around with my huge fifth wheel but it was still very thickly treed the way I like them. Lots of noise off the PA Turnpike but what do you expect when it's right off the interstate. This is a great waystation.

Nice quiet park

It's a nice wooded park with asphalt roads. The sites are some what close to each other but the wooded areas between the site give you a level privacy. Our site, as well as a number of others, wasn't particularly level. I parked our trailer halfway in because if I had gone all the way back I would have never gotten level. The bath houses were spotless. There are a number of water fill stations throughout the park and 1 dump station. Do follow others as well as the parks warning about coming in on Chalkhill-Ohioplye Road. Do not follow your GPS blindly. There are number of hike in the area which is why we were there.

Great campground

Big spaces to camp, private and spacious

Amazing Service, Amazing Views, and So Close to Pittsburgh!

We recently stayed at this campsite with our 3 very young kids and dog. What amazing views from this location! It actually does really sit at the mountain top and gives you pretty good views of the valleys and surrounding areas from any of the rim campsites. Fall was in full effect and it was AMAZINGLY beautiful!! I will also say, the host Gary and his family, who live in a cabin house right on property, are PHENOMENAL hosts! They will pretty much help you with ANYTHING you need at any time! They called me and texted me in advance to remind me us of our reservation and also to find out if we were coming in late! We arrived at 9 PM, and sure enough he was there ready with his little ranger golf cart to escort us to our site!

The ONLY downsides at this site (which are really not downsides for anyone else without kids) are:

1. There is no playground or activities for children. I understand they have blue grass bands that come and play in the warmer weather and a large campsite fire, but since we were there at the beginning of Fall weather, there weren't any scheduled bands or fires. They do however have a very very large open field right smack dab in the middle of the campground for any kind of activities you can come up with if you brought those activities with you (i.e. soccer, kite flying, baseball, etc..)

2. There are no full-hookup sites…..yet! They are currently working on having full-hookup sites throughout the campsite. In the meantime, and ONLY if you stay for a week, they give you the option of having a mobile pump-out come to your rig to pump you out for and additional $30 only on Wednesdays. We stayed for a week and left on a Wednesday, so we chose to drive to the dump station on our way out (100 yards away from our site) and save the $30. **Side note: the dump station has a fixed dump hose that all you have to do is pull up and connect to it. They also have a water hose with a sprayer if needed to wash anything down, or even to disconnect the sprayer and hook the hose up to your black tank flush if you have one.

They do provide all other hookups for free that are found at each campsite (i.e fresh water hose for city water, 30 amp cable already connected to the pedestal, and **grey water hookup so you don't have to unpack and use your own!) **Since they sit atop the mountain, the grey water hookup is a long hose that has an adapter which hooks up to your black and grey tank outlet and it runs down the hillside of the mountain into the grassy area. This means that unless you are a very active user of the commode (or have 3 kids like us), your black tank should not need to be flushed for 1-2 weeks at a time! Otherwise, you can use your shower and faucets as if you were connected to a full hook-up site! Pretty neat!**

All in all, the sites are pretty spread out and spacious, so you have pretty decent privacy ( if you keep your shades down!). We will be definitely be going back any time we are looking to go to Pittsburgh area for some fun. This place was great!

Very Quite Campground

We stayed here with a group and had plenty of space in the grassed tent area. There was a fire ring per site and we felt very private. The swimming pool was great. The amenities are Basic but functional. Not a busy campground, only one other tent the weekend we were there. A number of permanent Trailers. Close to the highway so expect some noise.

Small Shaded Park

Kooser State Park is a small campground nestled in the Laurel Highlands, close to Hidden Valley and Seven Springs ski resorts. The park has great amenities just a short walk from all sites. All sites have fire rings, with grills, however note they are double walled so do not expel a lot of heat outward. Great for cooking however.

Most sites are not level, but very grassy. Firewood is available at the entrance for$5 bundle supporting a local club. A beautiful walk through the park leads you to the Kooser Lake, great for fishing. It is also close to the Laurel Hill State Park which is great for hiking and water activities. The park is close to the road so you will experience some road noise.

The park is 15min from Somerset. No phone reception at this one! They welcome all furry friends!

We stayed at the Kentuck Campsite. The sites are close to each other but we had plenty of space at the same time. The hiking trails were beautiful this time of year. Wasn’t a big fan of their restrooms, not very COVID friendly I felt and a bit outdated. That’s the only reason I give it a 4 star.