No Pets
No WiFi
Turner Falls Park is located in Oklahoma
20 Reviews of Turner Falls Park
Memorial Day weekend

Busy as can be lots of people. If you like to camp and be secluded this isn’t the park. There are a couple great spots but the go fast. We got here on Wednesday and most of the secluded spots were taken. I’m guessing for the anticipation of the holiday weekend. I ended up grabbing the same spot as last time the only thing different was we had the boys with us 🤗

I’m gonna be honest I like the feeling of people driving by and hearing the comments on my campsite set up. It’s very pleasing. But I do prefer seclusion with covid-19 going on.

Seen some deer after we got rained out and spent a whole day in the tent with the family.

Wagon rd

Good camp site.

Good winter camping & fishing but pricey

This place is overflowing in the summer. Filled to capacity with a mile long line sometimes. I don’t recommend it unless you love crowds.

However, this is a nice destination for a weekend winter camping trip. Lots of hiking, great scenery, and my favorite part, they stock the creek with trout!

It’s $15+tax to fish 12.50 to tent camp $6 entry fee if not fishing. I went in on a Friday night, camped Friday and Saturday, left on sunday, fished on Saturday and it’s was $55-ish.

While you are in the area try the fried pies at Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies (coconut cream) and the best bbq you’ve ever eaten at Smokin Joe’s (smoked hot wings are my favorite.

Pros: Beatiful scenery, several trails, caves, an old concrete castle to climb.

Cons: cost, litter, facilities aren’t great, can’t cut trees for firewood

Good place for day trip

Good place for day trip. Try to visit on weekday if possible, the weekend draws crowds which take away from the scenery and positive experience.

Only 2 stars

We had a nice time there and weather helped out, not 110F, though there is a big BUT.

Portapotties were in great shape. They were cleaned every day and mostly restocked with toilet paper. Blue Moose did a great job

The on-site built restroom/shower house were terrible.

Every trail we hiked was struned with trash.

9am Saturday they closed the park to new arrivals. 5000 person capacity.

The overnight camping fees are a little ridiculous. We stayed Friday, Saturday, and left on Sunday 10am (must leave RV spot by noon). We arrived after 4pm to avoid the day fees on Friday. We had to pay for the Sunday day fees whether we stayed all-day or not.

Two adults, one 30amp RV spot for two days and two nights = $150!!

Try A Weekday

If you have the luxury of checking this place out on a weekday as opposed to weekend you will be a lot more pleased with your stay during late Spring or Summer. The campground is very popular because it has a lot of room to spread out and with campsites only $12.50 per night for primitive camping the price is right for most.

Turner Falls is a popular swimming spot so naturally the campground instantly has a built in following of people who come out. A lot of families but also a lot of younger thrill seekers just wanting to get their feet wet. By coming during the week you avoid a bit more of the party type crowd and get more of the fun.

They do also have spaces for RVs however that wasn't ever where I personally was staying so my knowledge of that area is a bit more limited. It always seemed a bit more claustrophobic than the primitive tent area.

When I was there last I noticed an influx of security from previous visits, I am sure it is because the busy campground tends to entice those summer style parties and they want to keep the incidents down to a minimum.

The area I stayed in was well shaded and had no real amenities. It is the furthest from the falls itself but has creek swimming and more hiking. I enjoyed it because being a bit away from the falls it was a bit more quiet than the closer sites. It was still accessible to the action without having to be in the middle of it all. This was considered to be the "Green" area according to the maps at the park.

A short walk into the "Blue" area and you could find restrooms and showers. I was just off Butterly Road which is literally right up from this zone. I will say however, this section of road is more heavily trafficked than others because it is the main road into the primitive camp area. I noticed that a lot of people were coming and going in the attempt to turn around because they had passed the Blue section somehow so it made for a little more noise than I had anticipated even on a regular day, I can only imagine what it would be like on a weekend.

TIPS:

• Arrive early on weekends for any type of site.
  • Check park maps for the best route to your destination, they are placed throughout the park and clearly marked.
  • Drink Responsibly! There are plenty of patrols out for safety but also to make sure you aren't getting unruly so if you are bringing the party to Turner Falls don't get out of line.

UPDATE (10/2/18)*

This park and its flow of water along the river which is sits experienced abnormal flooding which closed the park as swells of water engulfed much of the lower pool area including roads and some buildings. At the time I visited again to witness the powerful waters of the flood I took the attached videos and photos. Signs were posted that the park would remain closed until further notice, so if attempting to camp here in late 2018 make sure you check the website or call. (Photos taken from upper vantage point where zip line is located just past camping area)

Lovely Campsites/ Abused Park

Turner falls is gorgeous park with plenty of room for everyone to swim and lots to explore. There is also a castle you can explore but the park has gone a little downhill. People have spray painted all over the place and there is trash everywhere.

The campsites are awesome for someone who enjoys spread out and more secluded sites away from others. You can find some that are fairly spread out and hidden if you look hard enough.

Great water

Somewhat overcrowded on weekends, beautiful on weekdays. Crystal clear water

Love it here

This is one of my favorite places! Great family friendly camping!!

Fun hikes and beautiful scenery

I camped at Turner Falls with my family and children, including a 3 year old and a 12 year old. We came during the winter season late October, and temperatures were comfortable during the day but cold at night. Renting a "shelter" gave us plenty of room to store our belongings and come inside during the cold winds. The top 1/2 of the walls are open with wood crosshatching across. We ended up tacking plastic across the openings to keep the wind out. I highly recommend doing that and bringing an electric heater if you want to sleep comfortably in the shelter. If you have a cold-weather tent with 20° rated sleeping bags, you could sleep in the tent grounds instead.

The scenery and hikes are beautiful and just challenging enough to keep everyone excited. Find the caves for a harder rock climbing experience. But even the most hard-to-reach caves were accessible for my 12 year old with some help. The Mountain Trail and Firebreak Trail are smoother for a great run or jog. Even though it was too cold for swimming, hiking along the water was still enjoyable. My biggest drawback was the broken glass everywhere. They do allow glass bottles on site, and there were bottles caps and shards of glass on several of the rocks we climbed. Be aware where you place your hands.

Bathrooms were not open so Porta-Potties were placed by the camp sites. They were clean and maintained. There was 1 main bathroom and shower house open on Level 1. It was clean and heated.