Cecil , OHIO

Most Recent Cecil Camping Reviews
Great outside of Covid

We had a really great time. Good cell coverage. Lots of security, playgrounds, well kept trails, a beach, general store. This place is MASSIVE. You will need to pay a one time entry fee 9 for out of state, 7 for in state. After you check into the campsite you will have a pass. We got a space with direct access to a huge playground, but it was closed for Covid. Major bummer. There are LOTS and LOTS of playgrounds so we had a lot of temper tantrums from my normally very well behaved toddler. He goes days and days without fussing but seeing playgrounds he can't use is too much, lol The swimming area is great for kids. They have lots of stuff for sale. I posted pictures so you can budget. Overall this place was perfect, the only downside is the temporary closures. A Walmart Supercenter is 30 minutes away. The general store really has anything(including tents) that you might need but it's overpriced as you would expect. We were able to stay on property all 5 days! Extra bonus! We were here on Memorial Day and we saw 0 people on a morning hike.

Off Season and No Water

We love camping in the off season but with that comes closures. Some sections of the campgrounds might not be open, no camp hosts and limited bathrooms and showers houses. This is to be expected, but when I called the morning of our trip to make sure potable water was available and I was told yes it was only to drive 2 hours and realized they were wrong. No water 🙁. This would not have been a peas we have dry camped before but all the bathrooms were closed as well.

After called the park ranger he did let us get some water at the maintenance building so we were at least able to finish the weekend. Lesson learned always pull with at least some water.

Now back to the campground itself was nice and clean. Site are a little close together. The biggest down side is you are there to enjoy the lake but the lake had algae warnings everywhere not to go near the water.

They do have a dog park, pool and splash pad when in season and a marina. Also they have WiFi and good cell coverage.

A Hidden Gem

This is a small campground no question! That being said we had one of our best camping experiences. Our site was right along the Maumee River and our view was just breathtaking. We watching the seagulls play and catch food while great blue herons skimmed that water and fisherman were out fly fishing. It was just a very peaceful setting.

There are lots of bike trails as the towpath trail goes through the park and it even leads into the little town of Grand Rapids. A quaint town with lots of antiques store and boutique with a brewery and pizza shop. ( the ice shop was closed for the season 🙁)

The only odd thing was your potable water and dump station were located at the Marina about a 1/4 mile down the road. Not a huge deal but a little inconvenient.

The Verizon cell service was great as well.

We will definitely go back to this park.

About what you’d expect

Only stopped here for the night to catch a rest so cannot speak to the trails or lakes. The place was nice enough at first glance that I’ll be back to check all those things out if I’m ever around these parts again. Would I make a many-hours-out-of-my-way detour for this place? Maybe… if the online booking looked like the park campground wouldn’t be terribly booked, because the sites are pretty jammed in there and close together, so you’d want to be there when it is less busy.

There were very cute friendly cats that came out at night to comb my site to see if there were any foodstuffs to be had. I prefer them over rodents, but missed the overly-friendly raccoons I’m used to :)

Weekenders that felt alienated

I thought I’d enjoy this place a little more because I’d heard from several people and they liked their experience. There are a lot on permanent sites and we just felt a little out of place because we are “weekenders.” I would have rated this place a one star had we not rented a golf cart. Our site was far from anything and with 3 kids it was tough not to spend the 65/day cart rate. We will probably return here in the summer to experience more of the swimming areas. Also we’ll try and get a group to go with us so we won’t feel as alienated.

2nd time with new camper

This was our second time here but with our new camper. Great location of pull through sites for families with kids because of proximity to playground. This will be a regular spot for us in the coming years.

Beautiful View

We have a Xtra large 5th wheel and dualy truck. It can be tough to find comfortable campgrounds. My husband parked the 5th wheel fairly easily. Clean and simple campground. Super cute little playground for the kids very close. Right on the water! A little buggy but that’s to be expected on the river!

Huge!!

Our stay was short, but I'd definitely consider another trip! Beautiful campground, large but still felt pretty secluded. Bathrooms were clean and well stocked.

Great stay

We are heading to Colorado from Michigan so this was just a stopover, one night. Very much like this park and will be back when we have more time to enjoy it. Spacious sites, good shade.

Favorite place

Second time out love this place has a swimming pool and splash pad for the kids and lots of parks and horseshoe pits bike rentals and put put golf but everything is closed from covid definitely my favorite place to camp primitive or electric tent camp