The best EQUESTRIAN camping near

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Millers Creek Camping Reviews
Small and quiet

Family Campground

One nice thing is the size and separation of the sites. One bad thing is the road is busy.

This campground is one way and exits into a trailhead parking area. There was one site that was in the parking area, would not be my first choice. Shaded sites with picnic tables and fire rings. Nice shower house , well maintained.

Easy access to several trails and not far from the falls. The river runs the back of the campground.

Wild Ponies.....

Grayson Highlands State Park is just one of those places you love! The views are awesome, the trails excellent and then there’s wild ponies ! I brought my daughter and granddaughter with me this time and we all had a very good visit. My granddaughter got such a thrill out of meeting wild ponies and there were so many babies, it was so much fun ;) The campground is quiet and the sites are mostly shaded. There’s good separation between sites, though some are a little more open then others. There are a few sites where you are literally sitting on the edge of a very steep drop off, I avoid these ! There are Trailhead’s within the campground and several other very unique and challenging trails. The shower house was a short walk through the trees. The camp Host was across the road from the shower house and next to the dump site. He had firewood on site and was very helpful and informative. No water sports here , but lotsa hiking and stars.

Beauty in the mountains

Lovely hike with the most beautiful views of both wildlife and the mountain scenery

Best family campground

We had the best weekend at Steele Creek! We went the 3rd weekend in October and the fall leaf color was gorgeous! The close proximity to Linville Falls, Blowing Rock and the Blue Ridge Parkway was perfect. We will definitely be back to explore the area more. It was cool outside but we saw several kids playing in the creek and it looked fun. We will have to come back in the summer to enjoy the water.

Absolutely beautiful

We came here as our second ever camping trip and it wasn’t exactly what we were expecting but it was definitely an adventure. It was beautiful and quiet and relaxing. The only thing we were not happy about is the insane amount of bugs in the bathroom. But, ya know North Carolina summers.

A really nice place

We stayed at the Stone Mountain campground 5 nights/6 days, and enjoyed every minute of it. There aren’t many trees between the RV/full hook up sites, but they’re far enough apart that you don’t feel like you’re on top of your neighbor. There is a gorgeous little creek that runs through the middle of the full hook up sites, which made it even more peaceful sitting around the fire at night, and our daughter loved exploring it during the day. The bathhouse was a ways away from our site (53), so we typically rode a bike or drove the truck. This could be problematic for someone with limited mobility, or small children that can’t hold it very long. But it wasn’t really an issue for us. The bathhouse was usually spotless, well stocked with toilet paper, well heated, and not very busy at all. The showers will get pretty warm, which surprised me, and the pressure is pretty good as well. However, you have to push the button down every 10-15 seconds, and the stall is pretty small. They are sufficient for washing off the sweat and dirt from spending a day hiking though. We did a lot of hiking, which is the reason we went. There are a wide assortment of trails, from easy and moderate, all the way to strenuous and advanced. All of them are equally gorgeous, but I highly recommend the loop trail, which takes you by the Stone Mountain falls, then around the base and over the summit of Stone Mountain, and by the Hutchinson homestead. You can also branch off that trail and go to the middle and lower falls, which were also absolutely gorgeous. The summit climb by the Hutchinson homestead is pretty strenuous, but very much worth the views. I’d really recommend taking a blanket and snacks, and resting on the top for a little breather and to take in all that surrounds you. The creek throughout the park is delayed harvest trout waters, which is great for people that enjoy fishing. The creeks are incredibly clear, and so serene. The park doesn’t allow campers to bring in, or harvest their own fire wood, but they do sell bundles at the check in station for $5. The staff was helpful and nice, and the park is very quiet, clean, and family friendly. Keep your eyes open, we saw wild turkey and deer in abundance.

A must do! We will be back!

What a treat. This park is at milepost 297.1 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Our campsite E02 was on one side of the parkway, the Julian Price Lake was on the other side. This was not a problem, easy to cross. Probably one of my all time favorite hikes- Boone Fork Trail. We have a dog that could have gone w us, but the hike would have been tough on her (10 years old) we were glad she wasn't with us. Rocks to climb over, ladders, etc.  The canoe rental on the lake was great! We fished for brim, had a ball. There is Wifi at the lake/boat rental. Connectivity was null otherwise! We loved this campground, picturesque, friendly, space between sites was generous. Our site was the entry site for all of E loop and F loop= lots of traffic, but we booked late and was glad to have it. No hookups, so you must be self contained. Dump and potable water is available at the entrance. Firewood to buy from the boat rental at the lake. All was spectacular!

The Best!

I have been coming here for the past 10 years.   It's  one of the best  Campgrounds I have been to anywhere. Not only is it beautiful and well kept like most state parks but the staff has always been tremendous and helpful. And the location is quite perfect. It is set high on the mountain so you get wonderful views easy access to the Appalachian trail And lots of hiking everywhere.

Highly recommend

Such an amazing place! We camped, hiked, and relaxed! Some spaces in campground were a little crowded, but not all sites! Campground was clean and well maintained! The hiking and views from this place was amazing!

One of the best!

This is one of the best Virginia State Parks I have camped at!

The area is just so incredibly beautiful and the park is huge, there is so much to do and explore. The ponies, hikes of all kinds, waterfalls, mountains. It is a trip I will remember forever.

We got a non-site specific tent site reservation so we rolled up and I think we got the best one, site 13. It is the most private and very comfortable. Close to the bathrooms and water. I have no complaints! It was great!

Check out Molly Chomper Cidery if you venture out of the park!